Author Topic: Leash Thickness for Flat water / Bays?  (Read 3289 times)

anomaly

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Leash Thickness for Flat water / Bays?
« on: September 21, 2016, 03:08:40 PM »
Hi I need a leash long enough for 12.6 and 14 ft boards to use on mostly flat water that ideally does not create drag.

https://www.amazon.com/FCS-Adjustable-Ankle-Paddleboard-Leash/dp/B004TREI9E/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1474495478&sr=1-1&keywords=fcs+race+comp
I found the FCS Race Come Adjustable to be highly rated and well adjustable.  But there are two versions

http://www.surffcs.com/shop/sup-leashes/sup-racing-leash---ankle
http://www.surffcs.com/shop/sup-leashes/fcs-sup-adjustable-race-comp-leash--ankle

On the race comp the urethane cord is 5.6mm thick and on the race regular it is 7mm. 

I am not racing and weigh around 175lbs so I neither super light or heavy. 

Is the 5.6mm cord sufficient or should I go with the 7mm which is roughly 10 bucks more as no one has it on sale and it is less widely available?  Is there something better in the price range that I am missing?

Thanks
Nate

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash Thickness for Flat water / Bays?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:15:49 PM »
If conditions don't get to bad your fine with a thinner leash but it's always better to be more careful and have more than less.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:28:17 PM by PDLSFR »
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 07:57:30 PM »
4lb monofilament

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »
I'd recommend paying the extra 10 bucks and get the thicker leash because it can be a major safety device and you don't want to skimp when it comes to safety..

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 04:45:13 PM »
I'd recommend paying the extra 10 bucks and get the thicker leash because it can be a major safety device and you don't want to skimp when it comes to safety..
Ah...SUP's most famous bareback rider is now wearing rubber ;)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »
It's an important piece of safety equipment but I'm for not spending more if I don't need to.  I buy these about 3 at a time and keep them in the back of my truck.  Check them regularly for drying out and cracking but come to think of it, don't think I've ever seen one wear out or fail.  They're nice, durable and comfy--wear one every morning and at the price it's no big deal to give one to a buddy (or stranger) who forgot theirs.

https://www.amazon.com/SBS-Coiled-SUP-Leash-GUARANTEED/dp/B0118QMNPY

I know there's adjustable stuff out there, but I probably wouldn't fiddle with that stuff any way.  certainly wouldn't pay $40.  I just don't think it's a feature you'd use regularly.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

anomaly

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:32:57 PM »
Is the 10ft SBS long enough of for a 12.6 or 14 ft board for non surfing conditions?

The rule of thumb appears to board length or board length +1ft?  I assume this rule is derived from surfing where you want a long enough leash to minimize the chance of a board strike when falling.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:38:29 PM by anomaly »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
Calf leashes (that wrap around the calf just under the knee) are much better for flat water (and downwinding) than ankle leashes IMO. It's worth paying extra for. They are safer and easier.

A 10ft coiled leash is ok for a 12-6 or 14, but 11ft or even 12ft is nicer. Sometimes you can feel the pull with a 10ft coiled leash on a 14 if you go right forward.

Get a good leash. It is money and time well spent. The FCS adjustable is fine, and the adjustable feature can be handy if you are changing between boards a lot. It isn't the strongest leash, but for flat water should be OK. It is probably a bit over-priced however. I use one as part of a waist-leash setup because it is less susceptible to wind than a coil. But that's another story.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 09:31:27 AM »
Is the 10ft SBS long enough of for a 12.6 or 14 ft board for non surfing conditions?

The rule of thumb appears to board length or board length +1ft?  I assume this rule is derived from surfing where you want a long enough leash to minimize the chance of a board strike when falling.

Yes, it's perfect.  I figure on my 14, I'm standing about 5-6ft away from the attachment point so a 10ft works for me.  I know some people like calf leashes better (Area 10) but I think it's a matter of personal preference.  I like it around my ankle so that the leash just lays on the deck most of the time.  I forget it's there.  Probably same with length--I don't like it any longer than it is, but +1ft would be way to much on a 12-6 or 14--no need for that much slack especially since you're flat water.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
I use a 10 ft., coiled calf leash. I don’t however put the leash on my calf. I will either wear a waist PFD or a waist throw rope and wrap the calf leash around that. This way the leash is up off the board and I find it easier to move around on the board with this set up. Should also mention that all my boards are 12' 6".
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 05:35:01 PM »
Have 1 FCS and 3 SIC and 2 Think coiled leashes.  And like the SIC for calf and Think for QR waist on our 14' boards.  Was out today on our Bullet 14V2 with the Think QR attached to my waist PFD - and did not even notice it.  But always get the best quality leash when you can.  It is imperative.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 09:34:33 PM »
If you wear a C02 of vest style PFD try attaching the leash to the PFD strap (side straps on vest style). This will keep your feet free from the leash and allow for easier removal (from your waist).  Thickness isn't an issue for that type of paddling. As one said above, thin is fine if you're not in high wind, big surf, etc.  Check your leash string on occasion to make sure it's in good shape. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal