Author Topic: "Low budget" race board options  (Read 11975 times)

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
"Low budget" race board options
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »
Just found this online.  Though the recommended rider weight limit is exactly my current weight (I'm looking to gain weight(muscle) right now).  And the description describes it as less stable.  That doesn't build my confidence as a novice.  Though it's the same price for 27.5" wide.  How much more drag does that 2" of width create?  But seeing a top brand at that price is an eye opener.  Wonder if they will still be available whenever I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.  At least it gives me hope I may find a good deal out there somewhere.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:10:10 PM by ForeverBlue232 »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: "Low budget" race board options
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 01:18:02 PM »
Personally, I didn’t like the Race. Fast enough but strangely unstable. Just weird. Can’t really figure out why. Wasn’t very successful. It definitely won’t have a good resale value. No one really wanted it. It was in a strange "in-between" zone. Not fast but not stable.

Buy a popular board used, progress, then sell it on for a bit less. The popular boards tend to be faster and funner to ride. Duh.

Newer boards are far more win win. Fast and stable. That's what I'd go for. Don't go for the older generation. And test in the worst conditions you will ride. Which will be exactly what it's like at the start of a race if you aren't first.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:20:54 PM by yugi »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 01:47:45 PM »
I am the proud owner of a 12'6" x 27.5" Race 🏁 2015 in carbon. Awesome board. Put a BIG fin for stability in it.

Just got it on closeout. Sold my JP Race. The Starby is mo bettah in every way! And if it's crazy windy I just use my Bluefin 14'.

It does have a slightly "nervous" feel initially, but secondary stability WAY better than the JP. And it is fast. I never got over 5 mph before..

The NEW JP boards look much better.

It looks like many manufacturers are heading in the prone race paddleboard direction.

I'll low-budget one of those in three years...

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:52:18 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »
I am the proud owner of a 12'6" x 27.5" Race 2015 in carbon. Awesome board. Put a BIG fin for stability in it.

It does have a slightly "nervous" feel initially, but secondary stability WAY better than the JP. And it is fast. I never got over 5 mph before..

You never got above 5mph top speed?  Or average speed?   I've had only one race so far, a 2 mile with three turns.  My average (on the Rackham) was right at 4mph.  In practice for the race, my highest non-assisted speed was right at 6mph. 

I think I'm covered as far as big fins go.  I have a Futures large triangle and a SUP Gladiator Voyager (hybrid). 

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »
Foreverblue,
I am strictly a recreational racer, and at least 68 years young. My post was to encourage the possibility of purchasing a Starby Race for short money 💵!

My times, such as they are, are not accurate. My last recreational 5 miler (5.6 actual) took me 1.5 hours and I finished third in over 50 sup.

I wish you luck 🍀 and good fortune in your racing career!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 03:14:36 PM »
A couple more from the same vendor.  Opinions?  Though to get a 14' board, I'd have to figure out how to store it...

It lists the construction of the Starboard as AST.  What is that?  It only describes the carbon version.

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 03:17:37 PM »
Foreverblue,
I am strictly a recreational racer, and at least 68 years young. My post was to encourage the possibility of purchasing a Starby Race for short money !

My times, such as they are, are not accurate. My last recreational 5 miler (5.6 actual) took me 1.5 hours and I finished third in over 50 sup.

I wish you luck and good fortune in your racing career!

I hope I'm out there racing at 68!  That's awesome!

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 12:27:53 AM »
A couple more from the same vendor.  Opinions?  Though to get a 14' board, I'd have to figure out how to store it...

It lists the construction of the Starboard as AST.  What is that?  It only describes the carbon version.

This looks like they are clearing old stock, so its good way to get a deal on a new board. If this vendor is nearby go and see them and try some of the boards out, you'll get a feel for which ones you like. The Sprint is a pure flat water board, should be great for river and small lake work, but it has limits.  The Race you posted before was a fore-runner of the current All Star

AST is Starboards non-carbon construction technique. Perfectly fine if you aren't going to get super serious about racing and a good chunk tougher than carbon boards.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 03:33:24 AM »
Before I bought my 2015 Race I Googled Starboard 2015 Race review.

Surprise! LOTS of great information. I suspect this would also be true for other NOS boards..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 06:29:05 AM »
I am the proud owner of a 12'6" x 27.5" Race 🏁 2015 in carbon. Awesome board. Put a BIG fin for stability in it.

Just got it on closeout. Sold my JP Race. The Starby is mo bettah in every way! And if it's crazy windy I just use my Bluefin 14'.

The NEW JP boards look much better.

It looks like many manufacturers are heading in the prone race paddleboard direction.

I'll low-budget one of those in three years...

My 14' Blackfish will be waiting for you when you're ready to get a real board  ;)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
Is it on closeout yet!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 10:32:11 AM »
I think that Race is an intriguing deal (at 27.5 wide)--so long as shipping doesn't add a bunch to the price, I don't think you need to worry much about resale value.  You're saving a huge amount on the front end.

You asked about AST--that's typical fiberglass construction (as opposed to carbon).  Pretty durable, but heavier.  I'd go for carbon at these prices.

Just a realistic comment about race speeds--SUP is slow-speed racing.  For most of us, stepping on a new board isn't going to result in us suddenly going 2mph faster.  5mph over distance is a respectable recreational racer.  Improvements come in tenths of a mph faster.  My tracker always tells me I had a top speed of 6.something mph but sustaining that is not possible.  I'm pretty happy when I average 5mph over 5-6mi in open ocean.  I'd be ecstatic if I ever hit 5.5 or something like that.  I wish just jumping on another board would solve that...
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »
Have paddled the Race 14x25 and it is pretty twitchy compared to a 2016 All Star 14x23.  The triple concaves made all the difference.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 11:19:59 AM »
I like my 27.5 WIDE variety. But have no experience on other Starby  products.

It is the most stable of all of the 12'6" Boards I have owned. Supposedly slighter faster than the All Star, and more stable than the race of 2015.

Who knows how it compares with 2017 models?

However, as a NOS closeout $1400 I LOVE it!!

Eagle, Am curious if your "twitchy" is the same is the same as my "nervous" which was related to primary instability. But, it will be a looong time before I could even stand for a nanosecond on a 14' x 23"!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:36:45 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »
Big yeah twitchy = nervous.

The 27.5 Race would be the right width for sure.  And a closeout deal is the perfect price and time.   ;)

When I tried the 25 it was probably the fastest board I have ever paddled.  For sure faster than the Sprint 25 and probably AS23.  It accelerated like no other board with its low drag rounded underbody.  Just could not handle it in rough conditions otherwise would have got it.  Actually a local sponsored rider has that very board for sale - cheap.  Haha.

The AS23 is slower on flat -> but loads better in wind chop - boat wakes - and reflected cross chop.  That is what my ocean conditions are 95% of the time.  I was actually super surprised how stable the 23AS was.  If you have a chance.  Try a AS25 first.  If you can balance on that - you can probably balance on the 23.  You may be very surprised.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal