Author Topic: 2016 Starboard Surprise with a 12'/6" by 25" Allstar  (Read 11688 times)

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
2016 Starboard Surprise with a 12'/6" by 25" Allstar
« on: September 16, 2016, 07:39:14 PM »
Was lucky to have Starboard Rider Tony Fajardo drive 2 hours from San Diego to LA to bring his Allstar for a Allison Transformation experience.
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2016 Starboard Surprise with a 12'/6" by 25" Allstar
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 07:45:22 PM »
Here is what Tony was presently riding on this board for fin choice.
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »
Here is what Tony's new board looks like now, which me and the boys are testing tomorrow before Tony comes to get his board.
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:54:01 PM »
Also had a surprise on my Facebook post of this from Mr. Mick Di Betta commenting about this Starboard, which had this to say;

Mick Di Betta
3 hrs ·
Very exciting times ahead for board design , well whats under the boards more the fact. I have been working with LarryAllison Sup Race Fins for a few weeks now and looking at what he has done to this board and the results from earlier testing on other boards, things are about to change with your SUP race board very quickly.
Allison Race Fins

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
^^
hi,  how do you work out the toe-in angle of the twins?

I’m wondering what drag the twins might create. Get that angle the tiniest bit wrong and it’d drag. Also, doesn’t that angle change with speed or conditions?

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »
^^
hi,  how do you work out the toe-in angle of the twins?

I’m wondering what drag the twins might create. Get that angle the tiniest bit wrong and it’d drag. Also, doesn’t that angle change with speed or conditions?

Yugi, Look at pictures 1 and 2 again from the nose to the tail. This is what water sees NO!!!! Toe, the Allison Probox Twins are reversed with the Flat side out and the Foil side in directing water. Looking at the Raceboard from the tail, the board outline gives you the allusion of Toe. Remember these are not surfboard fins and are not placed like surfboard fins. People have to get surfboard mind set out of their brain and think Sup board. Board companies have made the comment: That they have been trying multiple fins with no success. My answer is sure you have no success because the finsystem that attaches the fins are wrong from the major Corp. Market Companies that everyone drinks their Koolaid is first mistake. 2ndly the fins from these same companies are barely right for the Surfboard Industry for sure wrong for the Sup Industry. I just created these fins in the last 3 years because nothing I even had worked. Until companies realize that simple piece of the equation your boards will always have a issue. And most companies say fins don't matter, LOL because they don't understand which somewhat confuses even me when I hear them talk about what their boards do. Then there are those companies they call themselves fin designers that take a basic windsurf or surfboard fin concept and throw carbon and weight for the buzz words with still not getting it right, so how can a board company use multiple fins from the market and get it to work.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:59:52 PM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »
This morning was fun Allstar Style with Allison 4 fin setup.
Here is a review after riding the board by one of my riders Corey:

Corey Hamilton
19 mins ·
Larry W. Allison ...I want to first thank you for letting me part of history this morning. This is the only Allstar in existence with your setup and it was an honor to ride it! I guarantee this is the first Allstar of many once people feel what I felt. I've been able to test out a 2016 14x25 Allstar on a few different occasions and I would always walk away a little disappointed. I just wasn't having the experience that others (smaller riders / I'm 6' 230lbs) were having. I've always heard how fast it is and I wasn't having that experience...Until today! You immediately notice the stability & Glide before your paddle even touches the water. A few strokes later and I was finally feeling that speed I was missing! This Allstar is also a 12'6x25", so not a board really meant for me due to its volume. I was talking with a friend on the water and the word that just kept coming to mind was "fun". I was having so much fun sprinting around, pivot turning without hesitation, and smiling the whole time. Larry you made a board I never thought I'd want in to one I have to have! Keep up the good work Doctor!!!
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 11:51:01 AM »
Here are 3 videos showing Allison Race fin rider Corey: Video 1 notice the glide when Corey enters the water before he starts his paddle stroke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs2P-Vfdfl0

Video 2 notice the ease of Corey turning along with the tail staying stable and not wobbling which happens with a Single fin. Also the Allison Ventral fin is never in Question!!!! Funny how people always pick on the Ventral Concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSa-EJDrp08

Video 3 shows how relaxed the rider is with this board using Allison 4 Fin Race setup. Notice the water snake off the back of this board running the Race Twins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98a_inH85B8

Enjoy my friends! Good day at the beach along with a new Sup World coming.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 12:32:32 PM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 01:14:22 PM »
I found this fascinating and I hope to get a board modded so I can test it.

The only issue I might see will be that this mod might not work well in the current state of racing as a draft train typically snakes and weaves. By having a board like this that holds a line so well may make it harder to hold a draft of a board with a traditional single fin.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »

The only issue I might see will be that this mod might not work well in the current state of racing as a draft train typically snakes and weaves. By having a board like this that holds a line so well may make it harder to hold a draft of a board with a traditional single fin.

Now you guys are partially getting it. But ukgm you have it backwards, the paddler following a board with Race Twins will have a hard time Drafting. The board with Twins will have no problem weaving to draft a Single fin guy, still Theorizing my friend. Try it before making those statements, notice the ease of this board with 4 fin setup turning in the video. I am happy that you are thinking of the advantages of this concept in Real life instead of Theorizing it to death like most have done for the past 3 years.

I rode this 25 wide /12/6 this morning with my Allison 4 Fin setup. no way could I ride this same board as a single fin. Wayne one of my LA Ambassadors also test riding this Allstar Board having a fun time with Allison 4 Fin Race setup.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:14:59 PM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 12:34:56 AM »

Now you guys are partially getting it. But ukgm you have it backwards, the paddler following a board with Race Twins will have a hard time Drafting. The board with Twins will have no problem weaving to draft a Single fin guy, still Theorizing my friend. Try it before making those statements, notice the ease of this board with 4 fin setup turning in the video. I am happy that you are thinking of the advantages of this concept in Real life instead of Theorizing it to death like most have done for the past 3 years.

I rode this 25 wide /12/6 this morning with my Allison 4 Fin setup. no way could I ride this same board as a single fin. Wayne one of my LA Ambassadors also test riding this Allstar Board having a fun time with Allison 4 Fin Race setup.

Its the difficulty drafting off a twin fin that is part of my attraction to the concept. I see real racing value in that.

Having watched the video's though, they are putting in full or partial turns (and that works really well by the looks of things) but the snaking effect I'm talking about is much more subtle and the ventral assists real benefit by improving tracking must surely have a trade off by hampering the small corrections needed to hold the draft of a single fin on a snaking board in front ? I guess playing with the fins sizes and profiles in all 4 positions though gives some options to minimise or tune out that issue ?

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 07:43:53 AM »
Unreal Review by  Starboard Rider and owner of this 2016 Starboard, Enjoy.

Review by Starboard Rider Tony Fajardo:
A couple weeks ago, my friend, Larry Allison of Sup Race Fins and I were chatting about fin selection for my 2016 12'6" x 25" Starboard Allstar. The conversation led to the possibility of installing his signature Probox Twin Fins and ventral fin set-up in my Allstar. I had the same set-up installed in my custom Infinity Cutthroat a few years ago and loved it; so I was very aware of benefits of that set-up. In the spirit of innovation, the potential for improving and already great board and paddling experience, and knowing Larry’s passion for what he does, I jumped at the opportunity. Thanks Larry!

My Allstar was already a super enjoyable board for me - it performed very well in all types of conditions. It was pretty stable for a 25”-wide board, it tracked well and it was pretty fast for me.

After three paddling sessions with the new Probox Twin Fins plus ventral fin set-up, here are my initial observations - short version and way too long version.

Short version:
Way more stable, pivot turns much easier, improved tracking, a little faster and improved glide between strokes. The Probox Twin Fins seem to accentuate and compliment the elaborate bottom design of the Allstar.

Way too long version:
Stability: Right away, the board is significantly more stable. Stability-wise, it feels like I am paddling a board that is 2-3 inches wider. I can see my legs fatiguing less when paddling long distances in choppier waters now. The secondary stability was already very good due to the elaborate bottom design; but now it’s even better! I’m still testing the limits on how far I can lean over onto one rail before taking a swim. Tomorrow will be a hot day in San Diego, so I will be able to play around more a see when the board will eventually dump me.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:58:06 AM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »
Review from Tony Fajardo continued:

Pivot Turns: I personally had a little bit of a challenge efficiently turning my Allstar. I could get it around okay; but I had to really pay attention and step back pretty far. I think it was a combination of the volume and intricate shape of the tail and the proximity of the fin box to back end of the board (5.5 inches). Of course, it could have also been my skill-level and technique. It felt a little sluggish and felt like the board wanted to roll a bit. With this new fin set-up and the fins’ placement in relation to the tail, pivot turns are so much easier and feel smoother. I don’t have to step back nearly as far to spin the board around. By the way, the ventral fin is only a few inches deep and it does not interfere at all while pivot turning.

Tracking: The Allstar already tracked pretty well for me. I paddle straighter when paddling on my left than my right, I think due to mobility and flexibility differences. Initially tracking feels a little better; but with the added stability I can see an opportunity to improve my technique. The added stability should allow me to get my paddle shaft more vertical and closer to the board; thus going straighter.

Speed: Initially my board seems to be a little faster. For my typically training sessions of three to six miles in Mission Bay, I’m usually averaging 5.0 mph. That seems to be my number lately; and it keeps the Lifeguard boats off my back for going too fast – yeah right! With my Garmin watch mounted to my deck, my only two extended (three and 4.5 miles) sessions of the week had me averaging 5.2 mph. Not a huge jump and not a significant sample size but it was encouraging. The exciting part is that with the added stability and improved technique, I can see my speed improving and over an even longer distance in the near future.

Glide: Another thing I noticed from watching my Garmin display was that my speed did not drop-off so dramatically during the recovery phase of my paddle stroke. That was very encouraging to me because I tend to have a heavier and slower stroke rate; which isn’t always ideal on a 12’6”.

If you have any specific questions about the science behind this set-up (design, application, installation, etc.) or if you are wondering which one of his single fin designs would work well in your board, I would encourage you to contact Larry Allison. He’s a wealth of knowledge and is very generous about sharing his passion for fin design with the SUP community. Tell Uncle Larry I said hello!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:59:29 AM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
Larry...who is selling your fins? I looked on the link you posted to your site, but couldn't find the multi fins set ups being talked about...or a way to buy them. Do you have an online store or a distributor that carry them?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »
Larry, happy to tell you that based on this Starboard transformation, 2 paddling friends of mine decided to take the plunge and go 4 fins on their 2016 Allstars (12'6x25 & 14x25).

They first got hooked on yor wizardry after trying few of your fins I've been using, over their stock Starboard fins. Once they saw this post they decided to go all out.

The only sore spot in this story is that none of us are able to just drive and drop-in on uncle Larry being east coasters and all.

Will post some reviews once transformation is done.
in progress...

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal