Author Topic: Best way to handle a Goon in the lineup ????  (Read 15904 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to handle a Goon in the lineup ????
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2016, 11:38:01 AM »
Just carry no fault release forms in triplicate with waterproof pens, make sure everything is signed correctly, then swing away.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Darryn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »
Free, unasked for legal advice from people in other countries.....worthless.

Anything Area10 writes.....worthless.

Relishing the fight is normal for winners, in any field, competition improves the breed ;D

Enjoy your zone but it wont be my zone anymore.

Read my original post on page three of this thread when your sitting in your dingy little office.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »
Free, unasked for legal advice from people in other countries.....worthless.

Anything Area10 writes.....worthless.

Relishing the fight is normal for winners, in any field, competition improves the breed ;D

Enjoy your zone but it wont be my zone anymore.

Read my original post on page three of this thread when your sitting in your dingy little office.

You obviously have not spent much time reading any of Area 10’s posts. He contributes a lot to this forum. And then you come on here with a grand total of 23 posts and start slagging him.

Goodbye and good riddance to you!
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2016, 04:31:16 PM »
Haven't been in a fight since the fifth grade. Violence draws violence.

I liked Clay's response a long time ago, but it appears he, sadly IMO, is in the minority.

Frankly, I am appalled and disgusted with many of the more absurdly violent responses. We are talking waves and surfing here not anything else.

Duke once said, Wave come, wave always come. When in doubt give it to the other fellow..

But, I got your back Derek!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:32:56 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2016, 04:51:32 PM »
[quote author=Area 10
The first phrase I learnt when I started surfing about 40 years ago was "the best surfer always get the wave". It's as true today as it ever was. The phrase isn't "the most aggressive surfer always gets the wave". If you are getting in fights to catch waves then I suggest you up your game or surf elsewhere.
[/quote]

i gotta agree with this. i have a tendency to get pissy in a lineup when i don't think i'm getting my fair share of waves, and i often start looking around for someone to blame -- and that someone is almost always me.  the better you are the more waves you get, the worser, the fewer.  that's surfing.  but if someone is being an out-and-out assole to everyone?
   a hotshit surfer pal of mine tells the story of just such an asshole, who was taking every wave he could.  my buddy went up to him, spoke to him apart from everyone else, twas just the two of them, and told the guy that, yes, he's better than 99% of the surfers in the water, but if he kept it up, he'd get no waves at all, because my buddy would stop surfing and start blocking the guy's every move.  and he'd do it, too.  guy backed off.  everyone went on to have a fine time.
   my buddy = cool low-key  enforcer.  gotta love having one of them in the water, when you yourself don't got much game at all.  but he does that only with real standout assholes.  most of the time, it's every man for himself.  the good get gooder, the worse etc etc. and me, i'm looking at me.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 05:21:54 PM »
Most I see are just clueless or unaware, not goons.  Goons mean "leave the break" to me.  Too much mental space wasted on the beautiful ocean, violence will be bad for everybody.  Anybody can walk down the street and be in a fight in moments, the skill is in maintaining peace and an accepting, civilized frame of mind. Goons already have lost everything, mostly, and are thugs who are just trying to drag you down with them.  Or, they just have nothing to lose, and you do so you are a likely target in our blame and sue society.

A couple of weeks ago, a couple of foreign guys on SUP managed to screw up the lineup pretty well for a while at Sharks.  One of them literally dropped in on a female proner a foot in front of her when she was trying to catch a wave that was hers and she got straight armed off.  They weren't mean, they were just completely unaware, acting like there was just them and no lineup or other surfers to accommodate.

I can see that the better surfers surf more waves because they know where to be and what to do, entirely without hogging anything, even in a crowded lineup.  I am barely there but getting better, but still don't function that well in crowds, they spook me too much.

The problem with SUP, they can keep paddling in broad arcs and circles all over the place, and if they are toxic, they can really ruin a lot of lineup real estate.  It made me realize again that being on SUP requires even more courtesy because of that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:24:39 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »
So to provide more background, I do catch allot of waves but share as well, 1) I know my break well and know where to be, 2) I do paddle around a bit to catch a few waves but mostly into noncrowded spots or away from where the proners mostly sit, 3) I've made friends with many of the proners that I've surfed this spot with for years, 4) I very often call out incoming sets to proners and share a good hoot if someone rips a nice ride, and last 5) I've shared waves with many zoners and as far as I know I share the stoke and often paddle over to anyone I don't recognize and say hello (sup or proner). Any type of confrontation with this Goon is the last thing I want as I want to just be able to surf and chill on the beach without feeling like I am now looking over my shoulder or being stalked. Anyway, supposedly some good waves coming to this same spot this weekend, I'll be there early as will a good handful of zoners and friends, hopefully this guy will just chill, but if confronted I'll just take the safe road, snap a few pics of him, ask others about him, and if threatened stand my ground but be sure that I defend myself, my surf break, and my dignity !!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:13:41 PM by PDLSFR »
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 08:54:02 PM »
So hey, adios, Darryn, and don't let the door to my dingy office hit you in the ass. But you're right, it's pretty grim here.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:56:59 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2016, 02:50:34 AM »
Zactly!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2016, 09:06:16 AM »
PDX, it's amazing what lessons I learned in elementary school from the tv show Kung Fu.  Certainly none of the wisdom from Master Po or Kan stuck.  I did learn that I was not limber or quick enough to try a spin kick.  :o

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2016, 04:27:58 PM »
Goon update... he made an appearance last Friday at 1st beach during a decent swell day. I wasn't out in the line up more than 5 minutes and there he was like  predatory shark slowong following the seal. Piece of 8 and a bunch of zoners there around so he didn't get too close. While paddling I told Todd who he was and he watched him for bit while we shared waves and laughs and could see his glares and stink eyes toward me. Even the famous Mr. Big got to see the Goon first hand but didn't need to unleash his inner demons. Combination of lots of friends around having fun sharing waves must have kept him at bay or maybe he's finally realizing thats life's too short to be an a**hole!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
Combination of lots of friends around having fun sharing waves must have kept him at bay or maybe he's finally realizing thats life's too short to be an a**hole!
Or he's been taking his meds.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »
Those aren't the Droids you are looking for!!

For some reason he headed over towards the ABC end. Too much Aloha!! HEHEHE! ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 07:46:44 PM »
I love this community :-)
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal