Author Topic: Best way to handle a Goon in the lineup ????  (Read 15903 times)

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Best way to handle a Goon in the lineup ????
« on: September 16, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »
Hey Zoners,

About a week ago I was surfing in Newport RI at 1st beach during the fun swell we had from Hurricane Gustave and had the unpleasant run in with the local Sup/Surf Town Goon. Picture your typical out of prison felon, big guy both in size and weight, with a typical arian skinhead type mentality. So this guy is on his SUP and literally dropping in on everyone (Proners and SUPs) but because he's a Goon, nobody says anything.

So now it's my turn, great wave, I am way outside, clear path in front for my paddle take off, and here comes the Goon, paddling as hard as he can cutting me off, so he doesn't catch the wave and neither do I as I had to bail into the water or hit him, so I let that one go, maybe he didn't see me, here we go again, he does it 2 more times and now I have had it. I paddle back out and yell at him, why you keep cutting me off, he then yells back at me that I'm catching too many waves....what ???

Seriously...so next wave again he tries cutting me off again, this time I ain't backing off and I charge at him, catch the wave, slash and spray him, he falls off his board and all I hear is laughing and cheers from the lineup. Ok that that was fun, but now the Goon is pissed off, I made an enemy and he's going to be out to get me, you could see the road rage in his eyes and smoke blowing off his cromag head.

Out I paddle, here he comes ready to drop in on me again, this time I stop paddling and yell at a buddy Jeff (not sure of his zoner name) I yell Hey I'm going to let him get that wave as I don't cut people off. Now I yelled it loud enough that Jeff was laughing and the Goon yells F**k You to me so I yell back Assh**e to him.

Next few waves I figure I have had enough and this guy is killing the vibe and stoke so I paddle further down the beach and snake a few more waves before heading in 9I was already out for 4 hours and getting tired). Right before I do this I see him drop in on another SUP and run straight into a proner already on the wave. So clearly this Goon is just a jerk and ruining the day for everyone near him.

Once on the beach I'm talking with other guys both proners and sups here he comes, The Goon walks around my car and starts taking pictures of me while I was putting my board on my car but won't come over to me (probably because I wasn't alone and had a folks around). He clearly makes himself visible so I know he's taking pictures of me (my car and boards on the rack) and now I am being stalked.

A couple days go by, I am back at same break only now waves aren't as nice so less crowded and windy as hell, just as I am ready to leave, here is the Goon standing in the middle of the road (near the beach parking attendant booth) wearing long jeans, biker boots, and just a leather vest (Clearly a wanna be biker gang MC member or trying out for the Village People), before I drive away out I always chat with the parking attendant and it just so happens that today there is the local LEO hanging at the booth. Of course the Goon sees me talking to them and doesn't say anything but makes sure I see him, he then just walks up the road as I drove away turning back staring at me with looks that kill.

Haven't seen him the last couple times I was there (including today), but I know he's a regular in Newport as another SUP guy told me he see's him at the gym all the time and he's a total pecker-head there as well.

My question to you the Zoner community, how should I deal with this guy next time? Should I try and make peace or just ignore him until he approaches or confronts me? I have to be honest he is clearly a bully and is hell bent on making my life miserable....so I guess I will change his name from the Goon to the Drop in Terrorist.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best way to handle a Goon in the lineup ????
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:20:51 AM »
Does he have a bald head?  If he does AND he approaches you and tells you he's going to kick your ass and shows you his big fists, tell him you have a Sharpie will draw a line down the middle of his head and make it look like an ass.  (Idea from Cool Runnings)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »
He doesn't sound like a person you can reform, so I'd just surf away from him.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »
Hi,

Wow that is a great story, sorry you went through that, sounds stressful.

The bullies I know are scared little kids inside, emotionally they stopped maturing when they were about 5 years old.  If you are into enlightenment and spiritual practice I would say this is a great test to forgive and love the "unlovable".

If it seems like he might take it further and either mess with your stuff or assault, you could probably get his name and address from the gym and file a restraining order or something like that to put him on notice that you won't put up with his crap?

Thanks for sharing and hope he wakes up and finds a better way to get his kicks.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:53:49 AM »
Know any cops that surf in this area?

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Seriously, isn't pubic intimidation a police matter? I think an initial conversation with the local boys in blue, with an agreement that you'll let them know when Mr. Bully is doing his thing. Some people are too crazy to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 10:15:24 AM »
You're allowing him to ruin you mental peace and your surfing life.  Try wishing him the best that you can, to return yourself to a better order of thought and to get back to the beauty of the ocean and the activity.

He won't change, and likely somewhere down the line an even bigger a@@h@@@ will take care of him.

If you have to leave, the ocean is always there and will make more waves.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:25:05 AM »
Sounds like the rest of the surfers feel the same way you do so why not rally them all together to ostracize the bully or do an intervention about his behavior. Strength in numbers. Also maybe take some pictures of him like he did you.

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »
Growing up, I was always afraid of bullies.
Then fate played a cruel joke on me and I opened a bar.
Yup, where alcohol mixes with the occasional big dumb a**.

I stood up to them, looked them straight in the eye and told them what I expected from them.
A few punched me square in the nose, but most blustered around and mellowed out.
They knew I was scared of them, but seemed to respect that I would stand up to them..... bullies are weird like that, they like people who cower.

Actually, with this guy, I would find out all I could about him.... it should be easy if he is a local.
I knew every bad guy around, and everything about them. If he is truly dangerous, you need to know that.
And no..... you can't send him to my beach.

If all else fails.... tell him you'll call in MrBig.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »
I agree with STCs suggestion to first find out whatever you can about him. If he has a history of violent assaults and/or weapons, you need to know that. If that is the case, then one outright threat from him should be sufficient for the police to take an interest.
If he is just your standard bully, I think that your best bet is to talk to the rest of the locals and see if they agree that he is a serious problem for that break. If so, then encourage them on the importance of approaching him as a group and speak from a group perspective. I expect that everyone else is intimidated on a one-to-one basis, and they might welcome the group approach. For starters, this will defuse his claims that you are the bad guy for "taking too many waves". If there is someone in the group who is both diplomatic and strong willed, he could start by saying that the goon is welcome at that break if he can lose the aggression and bring a positive vibe. If he says "or what", then it becomes a group blocking endeavor. In forty years of surfing, I have only employed this strategy once, but it worked the first time and we never saw the guy at that break again. I think that he enjoys separating you out for harassment. If it is him against the entire local group, there is a better chance that he might move elsewhere where he can find another one-on-one conflict. I would think that he is less experienced and comfortable with fighting in the water, so that would probably be the safer place for the group to line up and talk to him.
As long as it is one-on-one between you and him, I don't see a painless solution, though I sincerely hope it works out that way.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »
Changing his attitude is a waste of time and attempting to do so exacerbates the loss of stoke. When you see him just keep your distance and keep him "out of mind" there's no reason to give someone the power to bum your trip.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 02:40:21 PM »
A lot of reasons people act the way they do. Severe ADHD makes some people angry. Bipolar disorder, drug issues, and all the above combined.  I have a long time friend who has always been the angry guy in the lineup.  " How was the surf ..... Good , but these f'n people keep trying to talk to me. I don't want to f'n talk. I'm out here to surf! I wish they would keep there yaps shut. Just f'n surf or get the F out of the water!"
If he doesn't take his medication  he gets like that. So many people say that guys f'n sycophantic dude. He's one of my best and most trusted friends. Best to avoid and maybe reproach in a different environment. Trying to understand what makes your apparent adversary helps adjust your attitude,  so you can reduce the negative feels. At least find a mutual existence in the lineup.
Kill him with understanding :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »
Call a friend....:) Goons taste good with ketchup on them.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 03:18:17 PM »
Call a friend....:) Goons taste good with ketchup on them.

Great advice from everyone and Bob trust me you where the first one I thought of !
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 05:06:14 PM »
I had to deal with an inbread bully for quite awhile when working at an architectural firm many moons ago.  Not only did I find out which car was his, but I also found out where he lived, so his car was going to be my target.
I believe in karma kick-back, and I also believe that sometimes it needs a little help, but I wasn't going to do anything to him or his car at work, it would have been too obvious who did it.  So whatever I was going to do, it was going to be at where he lived, but it wasn't going to be some kind of damage or vandalism, I don't have that in my blood.
So I went over to his house, he kept his car, a 911 Porsche, in a carport, just sitting there totally out of sight from his house.  So I just casually walk up to his car and wedge 2" nails behind EVERY tire, hoping that when he backed out, he'd have 4 blowouts.
Suffice it to say he was late for work the next day, like about 4 hours late, and when he showed up, he was beside himself with anger screaming about 4 blowouts that some neighborhood punk caused him.  He got no sympathy in the office, nobody liked him.
I didn't live in his neighborhood, so it wasn't me, it was one of the best days of my life, he never found out.
I highly recommend it.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal