Author Topic: Apple Watch just got interesting  (Read 16357 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Watch just got interesting
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 06:25:35 AM »
After 3 years of use I just lost my 25 bucks surf watch in Hermine two days ago. Was seriously considering  garmin vivoactive HR. But Amazon reviews made me thinks as there is significant amount of negative comments and Garmin's replies mostly canned.. Read about new Apple watch too today, but stanlessteel watch with metal bracelet cost $1000? No thanks. I like to track my excersize but possibility to lose such expensive watch (I wear watch over wetsuit) makes me sick. Not clear what to do.. Might just buy another Armitron and keep phone in the bag.

Where did you get the price? It's $369.  Oh, I see, you want the stainless case and band. I like my sport watches to be light. I'd get the aluminum case and nylon band anyway. An extra $600 for stainless isn't what I'd do anyway.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 10:08:12 AM »
I'm very tempted by both the iPhone 7s and the Apple watch.  "Water resistant" is my favorite new feature.

To give you a real world perspective of how water proof...

The iPhone 7 water resistance standard is the same as last years Apple Watch rating, that I've been surfing with for the past year. I bought Apple Care for it, and never take it off, surfing, kiting, or windsurfing. Had it replaced once by Apple. My wife does the same, and had two replaced. So pretty good, but not perfect. I'd consider Apple Care on the iPhone if surfing with it.

If my watch fails again, I'll upgrade to the new one, actually rated for swimming and surfing with the higher water proof rating.
Thanks for that, Apple Care is a good idea and at least they will have to cover water damage if they claim it's water resistant, I had two phones that died after getting wet and they were not covered. 
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »
The Sport Watch band has been super secure for me. I've lost many a watch from old school watch bands popping open.

Just FYI for anyone wondering about that band.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
I started with the stainless steel band.  But, now I change between that and their sport band.  It is very easy to change bands.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »
Ditto on the sports band being great.  Never let go on me once. 

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 07:08:23 AM »
 so you guys think Apple watch would have upper hand vs vivoactive? I realized that sport band is good and if I want to be little dandy I can buy metal bracelet off ebay. The question is if there are any apps fro Apple watch that would work for paddling. def like the idea to be able to communicate even the phone is tucked away.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »
Motion-X is one of the better paddling apps I've used and it looks like it integrates nicely with iWatch: http://news.motionx.com/motionx/2015/04/23/fullpower-launches-motionx-for-the-apple-watch/. I like my Garmin vivoactive a lot, but there are a lot of things it doesn't do that would be nice. The Apple watch looks like it would cover 95% of the stuff I'd like the vivoactive to handle. Stroke rate on the Vivoactive is sketchy. I think a board-mounted stroke counter is more likely to be accurate--the acceleration per stroke will be a little easier to sort out that it would be on an arm, so I'm not too concerned with that.  I think the price is pretty high for fifty bucks worth of components in an aluminum case with a plastic strap, but I can't imagine what the development cost of these things would be. Pick a number, it could be anything.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
MotionX GPS is the best 99cent app ever.  I have a wahoo heart rate monitor that works well with MotionX and the voice coach "pace bitch" also tells me my heart rate.

For some reason the apple watch heart rate monitor doesnt work consistently when I paddle,

Any one else have the same experience?

I use the outdoor walk setting on the workout program which records my paddling distance as walking distance, so I get lots of activity added from a paddle.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 05:24:31 PM »
Can I see all my statistic online with MotionX? similar to what vivactive offers?

maxsonic posted one of his rans here http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30176.15.html and amount of data looks pretty impressive.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »
I don't use my apple watch when paddling, so I'm not sure about the heart rate and outdoor walking working together.
I use the "Other"  workout for my Tai Chi, Chi Kung and core workout.  It does a good job of keeping track of my heart rate.
Do you wear it paddling on salt water?  If you fall in do you rinse the watch after your session?

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »
Since the iwatch series 2 has been out for a couple of months now - for those that have purchased one, what do you think?  does it perform well for SUP?  I am on the fence between the iwatch and the garmin vivoactive hr.  I like most of the performance specs the iwatch provides but the battery life seems really short.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »
I don't have the iWatch, the vivoactive is adequate. that's about the best I can say for it.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 01:52:09 PM »
After going back in forth for some time I decided to go with Fenix haha. No regrest whatsoever. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal