Author Topic: Bosu Ball Balance Trainer  (Read 11366 times)

mjedude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Bosu Ball Balance Trainer
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »
Does anyone use the Bosu Ball Balance Trainer?

Does it really help? Is it worth it?

If so, please provide the benefits?

A veteran SUP big wave rider recommends it for training, went to Sports Authority and didn't realize it costs $135!

Will hold up on buying til I get more confirmation on positive feed backs!

Thanks!
Jimmy Lewis
Flight
Kazuma
Angulo

mjedude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bosu Ball Balance Trainer
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:28:17 PM »
http://www.bosu.com/

I forgot to mention that he stands on the flat side while the round side is on the ground.
Jimmy Lewis
Flight
Kazuma
Angulo

Shnoover

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »
Good question!  I saw one at Costco for $100...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:15:04 PM »
I picked up a balance disc that provides much the same benefit as the bosu at Walmart for $15. I use mine to simulate standing on a SUP while working with some handweights and a medicine ball. The disc is about 14" in dia. and has 1/4" knobs on one side. I cut a piece of plywood to go over it for a wider stance and to make it more SUP like. It's very similar to this.
http://www.simplefitnesssolutions.com/products/disc.htm
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Rick Kane

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:18:45 PM »
Indo board with a balance disk is awesome.  Simulates SUP pretty accurately. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:33:31 PM »
I don't remember them being that expensive, but I have two here in Maui, use them all the time. They are a great balance trainer and workout aid. i use them both ways--as a stable Swiss ball and upside down. Great exercise tool. I stand on one when I watch TV.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:49:29 PM »

I have been on the bosu ball several times and incorporated a few workouts on them.  They do actually feel quite similar and I am sure that there are many benefits if this is done properly with the right routine. 

For me I think the best bet is doing some hot yoga.  I am 8 session into hot yoga this year after many years away.   I cannot believe the difference in my flexibility and balance - diet etc.  I had pretty good balance from SUP but yoga combined with SUP is incredible.

The power yoga movements for me are the best bang for your buck.  A bosu ball is great but how long are you going to want to work out on it by yourself.  If you go to your local hot yoga school, you can likely get your first week for free and then sessions are likely $10 per pop. 

That would likely get you 10 to 14 sessions at least for your $130.   If you lived in San Diego, you could go for several weeks on the first week intro offers.   I would put yoga head to head with a bosu ball. There are several guys that I see on the water that are into yoga.

I see Michael http://www.loliyoga.com/ out on SUP here.

mjedude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 02:15:29 AM »
Thanks for all the feedbacks!

I have tried hot Bikram yoga a few times down here on the North Shore, HI, $12/class, if you have never tried it, try it! A 1 1/2 hr session, for me, will kill you!! It' tough, I guess the more you go the easier it gets.

I'm still strongly considering the Bosu ball!

Jimmy Lewis
Flight
Kazuma
Angulo

CT

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 04:31:55 AM »
I've never played around with any of these things, but they pop up on Craigslist from time to time on the cheap.  I'd check there first.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 05:44:33 AM »
Here is a product that "Transforms your surfboard into a trainer in 10 seconds".
Highly entertaining at parties.
http://nohosurf.com/
Aloha,
Tom English
Aloha,
Tom English

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 06:03:21 AM »
can you mount a Go-Pro on the Bosu Ball Balance Trainer and track it with a GPS?
 ;) ;) ;)

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:56:57 AM »
the Bosu is a fantastic way to train ! if you plan on joining the circus...
ok, a little explanation. one of my jobs (i juggle many hobies that i sometimes turn into jobs) is personal training.
as a trainer i'm always on the lookout for new ways to A. train myself  B. train clients. i've used all sorts of ballance tools over the years and actually find them quite a bit of fun. i only tried the Bosu a few months ago for the first time and used it in any and every way i could come up with.
as with pretty much every ballance device i've ever used, it can be a little chalenging at the first try but then becomes real easy. thats when it's time to start finding new ways to keep it hard.
if you want to purelly train your ballance it's an ok way among many others. if you expect it to have great carry over to sup or other board sports, my opinion is not to expect miracles.
there have been lots of studies done and journals published on the subject of ballance training. each sport and activity has it's own set of demands that require specific skills and it's still undecided if all these gizmos really help. having said that, they certainly don't hurt. you do however tend to go out and buy toy X, only to find it's gotten a bit too easy and boring after a short (how short depends on your ballance skills) and then want to buy toy Y (speaking from experience...).
my real opinion, get the smallest board you can stand on and go paddle in the shittiest, choppiest water you can find. THAT will do miracles for your ballance. and it will be in real conditions, practicing the direct and specific skills needed for our sport.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 07:58:02 AM »
Good plan!

I think Yoga is a great thing, but you can do this Bosu ball stuff any time you're kicking back. Good for balance, good for doing unstable workouts, and it makes a decent seat
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 08:13:46 AM »
All these types of things work to some extent and can enhance any workout you might do without them if you can do it with them. You'll burn more calories and increase your core strength more with them for sure. Noa makes a good point though, they do get easier after a while. Then again so did SUP. That's why I look forward to wild choppy conditions now.

I have a particular need for balance training. A brain tumor on my vestibular nerve screws up my sense of balance. I was doing all kinds of balance therapy including the disc and other devices before I started SUP. None provided the same kind of benefit I get from a session in the chop. A large part of balance is visual, having a broad flat horizonal reference while maintaining my balance on an ever changing ocean helps make my life more normal. I still use the disc as a aid for core strengthening but I don't think it helps my balance as much anymore.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:16:15 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PlankSpanker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »
I use a Bosu ball lot for SUP training and general fitness. There are a lot of variations but it is just a half-rubber ball so it will not make you magically more handsome and rich. Yes, they are a bit overpriced.

Some of the variations we use for SUP training are upside down while throwing heavy medicine balls back and forth, upside down for squats (not so easy, try it...), upside down on top of a 24" plyometric box and then jumping up and landing on it, planks, stretches, crunches, etc...

There are several pictures and references in the Laird book as well.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal