Author Topic: 2017 SIC Maui Catalog  (Read 10932 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2017 SIC Maui Catalog
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »
Just came across their new catalog here: https://issuu.com/cutform/docs/2017_sic_cat_revised-compressed

They expanded on the FX series. it looks like they are banking on that shape (it's a good thing imo). I was hoping to see
the board Kenny Kaneko used to win the HK race Off-Shore posted: http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30510.msg331047/topicseen.html#msg331047
from the pictures posted, it like a dug-out version of the FX. Maybe 2018?
in progress...

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 SIC Maui Catalog
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:22:24 AM »
I love the expanded FX line! The 27" looks like a perfect all-conditions race board for paddlers without elite balance.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »
I love the expanded FX line! The 27" looks like a perfect all-conditions race board for paddlers without elite balance.

That's exactly right. My FX is 27" wide and it is super stable, no problems hanging with fellow paddler on a starboard
All-Star 14x25.
in progress...

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 03:07:18 PM »
I know most of you are looking at the distance sups, but I kinda like the look of that 8'2 triton.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
It looks like Flow Sports have done there usual bang-up job with the proofing of this catalog. Not only are there typos all over the place, the volumes/widths of the Bullet 17s V1 and V2 don't make a lot of sense.

It's comical, really. Every year at around this time we can rely on two things:

1. Starboard will come up with some ludicrous over-inflated marketing guff.

2. Flow Sports will produce a SIC catalog that is full of mistakes and we will all spend the next 6 months trying to work out the truth.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 05:33:21 PM »
It looks like Flow Sports have done there usual bang-up job with the proofing of this catalog. Not only are there typos all over the place, the volumes/widths of the Bullet 17s V1 and V2 don't make a lot of sense.

1. Starboard will come up with some ludicrous over-inflated marketing guff.

2. Flow Sports will produce a SIC catalog that is full of mistakes and we will all spend the next 6 months trying to work out the truth.

;D ;D
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 08:52:09 PM »

1. Starboard will come up with some ludicrous over-inflated marketing guff.p

;D

What's even more ludicrous, as you might have noticed, this is the already revised catalog as the name on the URL suggests.
in progress...

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 05:18:24 AM »
What's even more ludicrous, as you might have noticed, this is the already revised catalog as the name on the URL suggests.

Having bought SIC this summer, Flow Sports is now screwing up their own product catalog!  ::)

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 03:25:50 AM »
Hmmmm..... seems the catalog is no longer on Issu. Maybe they pulled it to proof read it? I want to get a board with the F.A.S.T system next year. I LOVE the SIC boards, but i can't get used to my V2, so i jumped on an NSP DC Open Ocean 14 this year. What a fun board.
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 07:33:43 AM »
Were FAST boards actually manufactured and sold this year?  It seems the rods in that system have been a problem all year.

What handling issues do you have with your 14V2?
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
Hmmmm..... seems the catalog is no longer on Issu.

Just add "-2" to the URL

https://issuu.com/sicmauiestonia/docs/2017_sic_cat_revised-compressed-2

Er, I mean if you are in Estonia  ;D

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 03:19:04 AM »
Were FAST boards actually manufactured and sold this year?  It seems the rods in that system have been a problem all year.

@Eagle - The biggest problem i have with my V2, is that i have to stand so far back, so i am not standing directly on the tiller arm. By having to be so far back, i am sinking the tail quite a bit. The V2 is a fun board for me on inland lakes when it blows about 20 Mph. But 20 MPH on Lake Michigan is a different story, due to the choppy conditions. Now, the NSP DC 14 is a different story. At 14'28" and 325+ liters of volume,  the NSP is much more stable in the majority of conditions that we paddle in. When it gets real big, i still go for my SIC F14. The NSP seems to catch bumps easier than the V2 in marginal conditions too. Such as in a "downbreezer".
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 04:46:45 AM »

@Eagle - The biggest problem i have with my V2, is that i have to stand so far back, so i am not standing directly on the tiller arm. By having to be so far back, i am sinking the tail quite a bit. The V2 is a fun board for me on inland lakes when it blows about 20 Mph. But 20 MPH on Lake Michigan is a different story, due to the choppy conditions. Now, the NSP DC 14 is a different story. At 14'28" and 325+ liters of volume,  the NSP is much more stable in the majority of conditions that we paddle in. When it gets real big, i still go for my SIC F14. The NSP seems to catch bumps easier than the V2 in marginal conditions too. Such as in a "downbreezer".
Yes. As I've said before, rudders on 14s are a waste of time for downwinding. The mech gets in the way of where you often want to stand, the rudder is less effective than a fin at controlling the board, and you can't use the rudder when you are on a steep bump because you need to be standing too far back.

It sounds like the Bullet V1 would be much better for you. It's a really great board that had somehow got eclipsed by the V2. But the V2 is not intended to be an updated version of the V1. They are completely different boards for completely different conditions. I have both of them and I'd never part with the V1 (unless it was to get another rockered board of the same type).

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 06:32:17 AM »
^^

Agree fully on the steering version of the V2. "The mech gets in the way of where you often want to stand".

I'm on a choppy lake too. The V2 rules up to 20kn. The V1 shines above 20kn. Both do well in the other's "better zone" (am I making sense?). With skill the V2 is still OK in honking conditions, the V1 is just a bit more forgiving.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 06:44:21 AM »
^^

Agree with this with a twist. I have the V1 and I have two friends with V2s, one with FAST steering. I like them ALL, but interestingly I do like the steering on the V2 when it gets to nukin' conditions, as it was when I paddled the V2 with steering in the vid below, There is something majestic about being way back and being able to use the steering when you get good winds.. Otherwise the steering is a waste of $$ and space..

https://youtu.be/HsWOAYAktFA
2016 SIC Bullet 14v2 with FAST Steering
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:53:50 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal