Author Topic: Three surf paddles...my test  (Read 4413 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Three surf paddles...my test
« on: September 02, 2016, 06:35:38 AM »
Being from the school 'Better tools compensate lack of skill', I like quality boards and paddles. I broke my favorite surf paddle by falling on it, a Kialoa Methane. I have a Rivera, a Werner Grand Prix (my best flatwater stick) and had a few no-names, not worth mentioning.  I had KeNalu with a blade big blade likely designed by Catholic School nuns.  ..and heard Werner has a new surf-specific stick, the Rip Stick.  I like a small blade. I think they are quicker, easier and ding less.

KeNalu has a nice feature with hotmelt glue - pull it off glue another on.  I bought a Ho'oloa 84 blade.  Kialoa had a blem deal; I got a 'Pipes'.  And, Keith in Hatteras sold me his Rip Stick 89.  I got to the beach only to find everybody looking at it - waaay too much sideshore.  I decided to do a calm water test in the wind shadow of a bayside point. 5-10 minutes with each stick ..then a half hour with the winner.   I have no special insights, no degree in Fluid Dynamics but plenty of prejudices.  This all comes down to 'how it feels'. 

A Sunnova Speeed 9-5 is not a cross-over or flatwater consideration, but it is very quick to respond and paddles pretty straight.

(Sorry about the focus)  I'll take this by the major parts.. 

Handle:  Kialoa T-handle is the best for me. Widest at 10.5cm. I feel the pure-T gives me more R/L directional control.  The KeNalu feels unbalanced fore/aft - the grip is not as comfortable.  The ledge or cuff style of the Werner feels perfect for flatwater where you do nice clean strokes; I swat flies in the surf.

Shaft:  Kialoa shaft is a 32 x 28cm oval.  I like the feel of an oval; along with the large handle, it tells me blade angle but I hate an oval when I lay it flat on the board just before I do my jump-up. If I get little forward motion going, the blade drags to a stop!   I like the KeNaul shaft the best. The texture does not need any wax, spray or stick-ons when wet and 28cm is manly enough.  The Werner, like the Kialoa, needs help to not be slippery but is the most manly at 31cm. I have to ignore my prejudices about the handle.

Blade:  All I can tell is 'how it feels' at a given moment. You can judge all shaping and molding...  One thing - the Werner blade is set at 7 degrees ..whereas the others, I believe, set at 12. The single biggest negative of all these blades: the top end of the Werner is simply a 'paint scraper'.  I had another cheaper paddle with this 'feature'. It must be taped off or ground down.

So... I picked the Werner.  Unlike you flatwater guys who TaiChi a flow... my takeoff stroke more resembles 'escaping a shark'.  It's 3-and-go (or fail) in my Polish Mule style.  I don't like the ferrule ..I would prefer a T-handle but I find it very smooth with little/no wobble under heavy effort.  I'm looking forward to testing Werner's statement; "7 degrees is better in surf".

Jim

(Yes, that is horse C'hit next to the board... may be some in the text)

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Three surf paddles...my test
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 06:48:21 AM »
I don't think there's anything in this sport more personal than paddle preference.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 08:50:39 AM »
Thanks for the review Wetstuff.  I recently won a Werner paddle in a race series and am considering getting a ripstick but won't have an opportunity to demo one.  I've used a KeNalu for years and so your contrasts of the paddles is helpful.
Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
I enjoyed reading the reviews of the three different models of paddles in this topic thread. Since I'm a former kayaker who used a 220 length all carbon Little Dipper touring paddle with my 12 year old 14'9" long, 26" wide SPTW kayak, as my first sup paddle I stayed with Werner. I bought an all carbon Werner 85 Trance and I really like the 7 degree blade angle which I've only used on flat water with my 8'11' Hammer sup. I agree with the handle description. It is perfect for flat water paddling and after 3 sessions (only three sessions so far) and each session has been for two hours, no blisters (since I don't wear gloves) which is an added bonus. Also, agree with the "paint scraper" comment, but I've learned to put the blade and part of the shaft slightly deeper under the water.

Still, I would like to try a different make and model of paddle, from a different paddle maker, just for comparison's sake.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »
I bought an all carbon Werner 85 Trance and I really like the 7 degree blade angle which I've only used on flat water with my 8'11' Hammer sup.

Hi Nightwing,
I also have the Werner Trance 85. Just a quick correction that the blade angle on the Trance is actually 10 degrees. It's 7 degrees on the Ripstick.

And yes, it is funny how personal paddles are. As an example, the OP likes the Werner Grand Prix for flat water. The Grand Prix has a 12 degree blade angle and I just didn't like it. Tried the Trance at 10 degrees and it felt great.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »
I bought an all carbon Werner 85 Trance and I really like the 7 degree blade angle which I've only used on flat water with my 8'11' Hammer sup.

Hi Nightwing,
I also have the Werner Trance 85. Just a quick correction that the blade angle on the Trance is actually 10 degrees. It's 7 degrees on the Ripstick.

And yes, it is funny how personal paddles are.

I'll have to remember the Werner Trance 85 is 10 degrees if and when I demo a different make and model of another sup paddle. I just hope it feels as good sup surfing as it does for me now while flat water cruising.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »
Bill's right.. 'totally subjective, but luckily we are not expected to use Mao's favorite paddle. 

I failed to add weights: Kialoa Pipes - 18.4oz .. Werner Rip Stick - 16.2oz .. KeNalu - 17.6  (Werner GP, longer flatwater - 15.7)

Balance is also something I notice.. some paddles feel as if they have lead blades.  These are all close. The Kialoa however is just about perfect. My lower hand wrist does not get twisted either way when the upper hand is released. It makes it easier to flick the blade to the other side.

I don't have a picture handy, but after about four samplings, I think I found the best non-slip for the shaft.  On flatwater it really doesn't make much difference but in surf, my hands are pretty much always wet ..and a fricking slippery shaft makes me look 3X as bad as I already am!  The best so far: Rust-Oleum's 'Truck Bed Coating'. (Rust-Oleum 248914 ~$7)   I have tried those rubber sprays you see on TV but they either do not stay on well or are too smooth.   I tried surf wax but on a 90deg day it turns into base oil.

Finito.  Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »
I don't have a picture handy, but after about four samplings, I think I found the best non-slip for the shaft.  On flatwater it really doesn't make much difference but in surf, my hands are pretty much always wet ..and a fricking slippery shaft makes me look 3X as bad as I already am!  The best so far: Rust-Oleum's 'Truck Bed Coating'. (Rust-Oleum 248914 ~$7)   I have tried those rubber sprays you see on TV but they either do not stay on well or are too smooth.   I tried surf wax but on a 90deg day it turns into base oil.

Hey Wetstuff,

For that Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating, just curious, once you apply it to the paddle shaft is it on for good or could you get it off if you didn't like it for some reason?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
The Werner Trance 85 is actually a very nice carbon paddle.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »
Good to see a "Man on the Street" test.
You are right about the "quick start" for surf.... nice to have a paddle that fires off the line. Light and small.....

I like the feel of an oval shaft as well, but I am "all in" with the "component" ability of the "round shaft/Hot Glue"

Even my Wiki is feeling wide to me now, as I have been using my narrower blade, but I love the feel of the KeNalu overall.

I always simply use my short surf paddles when I flat-water.... even on long tours, it feels normal to paddle below shoulder level.

Out of boredom, I used a GoPro Headband Mount the other day
Paddling in on my 9'4 Acid, I noticed in the video that my blade enters the water right at the nose

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 04:49:23 PM »
Ever since Pono did the showcase in 2008 I've thought that paddles are the most personal part of the whole equation. We had probably 15 paddles (most that were available at the time) and it was surprising how variable the paddle preference was amongst the 50 or so people demoing. People of similar makeup and experience would like very different blades....far more variable than board preference.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard