Author Topic: This was the windiest summer I can remember in SoCal.  (Read 6328 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
This was the windiest summer I can remember in SoCal.
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »
Orange County people, did you notice that we had very few clean mornings this summer?  Morning wind is not unusual here in the summer, but this is the worst I can remember.  Almost every day this summer had some wind in the morning.  Couple that with mostly lame surf since that nice run in early July and it makes the worst summer in recent memory. Leftovers from El Nino maybe?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This was the windiest summer I can remember in SoCal.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »
I don't think El Nino is gone. I think it's going to continue through next year?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:52:15 PM »
Santa Cruz has had generally a good wave summer IMHO. It has been really cool and foggy in general, much more so than the other five years we have been over here. For over a month, it has been also smokey with all the local fires.

Today I thought the water finally got warm for Santa Cruz, but it also looks kind of soupy, like it does when the anchovies come in and croak themselves by taking all the oxygen out of the water.

I am surprised things are bad in SoCal, because I thought in Santa Cruz we were getting some nice benefits from the extended El Nino.

I think El Nino is officially over, but really, do the Weathertards really know?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 09:57:06 AM »
We've got wind chimes all over our house (thanks wifey) and just about every day they're a tinkle-ing by 8am. I probably scratched 8-10 sessions based on those chimes. I've also thrown reason to the wind** and gone anyway and had fun sessions.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 11:14:23 AM »
Having spent 35 years trying to wind surf in San Diego, I have become very tuned into local wind conditions. This summer is very different from any I can remember. We have almost constant westerly winds, few calm mornings, and few glass off evenings. Out normal summer pattern is for the wind to be calm or light-off shore in the morning, wind picking up from the west late morning and increasing steadily while it clocks to the northwest. It is usually strongest in the early evening after it becomes more northerly, then is glasses off.

This summer it has only come from the west, which is primarily onshore and really messes up the surf. What makes it worst is that we usually have a thick kelp bed 100+ yards off shore which calms the near shore waters making good surf conditions even with the wind. Kelp only grows when the temperature is under 64 degrees and we did not have many cold water days the past two winters, so our kelp bed has almost disappeared.

Global warming sucks!!!!

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 12:02:08 PM »
Orange County people, did you notice that we had very few clean mornings this summer?  Morning wind is not unusual here in the summer, but this is the worst I can remember.  Almost every day this summer had some wind in the morning.  Couple that with mostly lame surf since that nice run in early July and it makes the worst summer in recent memory. Leftovers from El Nino maybe?

Yep, I was saying the same thing to someone the other day.  The afternoons have been worse than usual as well.  Hopefully we have a better Fall.
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »
Curiouser and curiouser . Same windy 🍃 summah here on the other side of the landmass...
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

jibemeister

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »
You can blame me, I sold off most of my windsurfing gear in April. 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »
We've got wind chimes all over our house (thanks wifey) and just about every day they're a tinkle-ing by 8am. I probably scratched 8-10 sessions based on those chimes. I've also thrown reason to the wind** and gone anyway and had fun sessions.

I gotta take a lesson from you, Adam.  I have bailed out on so many sessions this summer because of wind that I have not surfed that much.  I need to follow your lead and go anyway.  I'm going to tower 25 tomorrow and vow to go out no matter what conditions are like. 

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:17:26 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
You guys have taught me something new.  Yesterday, heavy south easterly onshore winds around Santa Cruz Sharks pretty much blowing out whatever formed waves were coming from the SW and W.  All the windblown ripples intersected to make things tossy and unpredictable.

I went out on the 8'7" Flow, not the best day for a board for which I still have a learning curve as far as balance is concerned.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
How was it Zoo? I scratched this morning, high tide and looked junky so I took my bus for a cruise before masking off the roof for bodywork and priming.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »
Went back on my promise to myself.  It was so junky that I could not make myself go out.  Drove around looked at Bolsa, Huntington and Newport...then went to breakfast.  Same conditions today and I bailed again.  Jaded old fart I am. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 10:44:53 AM »
End of the week looking promising. If there is no overnight wind like last night, it should be good early.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »
Man, I hope so.  I'm getting crabby. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »
It was windy at Pleasure Point yesterday. These guys went full speed into knee deep water at second peak. Luckily they didn't damage the take off spot or the reef.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal