Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 11174 times)

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »
Eva the boardlady makes sense when she says to replace the damaged bits with exactly the same layup as the original so as not to induce "stress risers" (in quotes because I don't really know what that means).

(My working def is that a stress riser is a point in a structure that induces points of higher loading compared to its surroundings.)

Maybe I misunderstand her advice when she speaks of scarf joints, but I don't see how the innermost patch layer (eg1 carbon) sufficiently meets the original inner layer (eg2 carbon) then next layer rests on top of that. In practise, I don't think it does. Even if the patch has the same layup, all the layers together overlap the original layers. Whatever - I overthink things.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 08:15:35 PM »
Blackeye there was a post here a while back (Pono) about the overlap tolerances needed for full strength of a carbon patch. It's like a 1/4 inch so even a 1/2 inch joint is crazy strong. The matching is just the thickness/strength. In composites, anywhere one thing turns into another thing is a potential break point. Keeping things consistent as far as strength is concerned helps remove a break point.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 05:28:51 AM »
Thanks guys- good to know. I was using primitive thinking - the stronger it is - the better it is. But apparently it ain't so.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 10:01:40 AM »
Thanks guys- good to know. I was using primitive thinking - the stronger it is - the better it is. But apparently it ain't so.
Strong but flexible is good. If you marry stiff with flexible, something has to give when than joint is stressed. The two dissimilar materials will separate rather than work together. Applies to almost any type of construction or fabrication. If you taper or transition the joining / lapping of the dissimilar materials, you reduce the stress. Like Pono says, " It's not Rocket Surgery". 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »
Lots of the same happening in Bullets from that generation. Just started in a friends. Click click click. It delaminated.

When that happens to lots of boards in a series isn't that clearly a manufacturing defect? Shouldn't SIC replace that for you?
My Bullet V2 leaked out the vent from day one.  I pursued it through my dealer and SIC replaced it within a week. The same happened to my buddies V2 and his was also replaced under warranty. My new V2 has had water dribbling out randomly, so I'm keeping an eye on it. So far nothing like the first one though.

FWIW, I also have a Bullet 12'6" and it's never leaked.
JP

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
Lots of the same happening in Bullets from that generation. Just started in a friends. Click click click. It delaminated.

When that happens to lots of boards in a series isn't that clearly a manufacturing defect? Shouldn't SIC replace that for you?

Good to know that I am not the only one. Funny thing is I filled out warranty claim on august 10th and no one has gotten back to me. Very interesting approach to customer service.

They had so many returns and warrantees that they are playing difficult now. Insist. It happens in way too many of their boards to not be a manufacturing problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 04:04:25 PM »

Good to know that I am not the only one. Funny thing is I filled out warranty claim on august 10th and no one has gotten back to me. Very interesting approach to customer service.

They had so many returns and warrantees that they are playing difficult now. Insist. It happens in way too many of their boards to not be a manufacturing problem.

A non-response is not a good approach to customer service.  If you went through a dealer - contact them and show them what happened.  The problem you have looks pretty severe.

Sometimes the ignore method hurts much more in the end.  While many do this thinking it will work and go away - all it does is backfire.  Best to address and resolve and keep good relations intact.

This has already hurt SIC.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 01:00:46 PM »

A non-response is not a good approach to customer service.  If you went through a dealer - contact them and show them what happened.  The problem you have looks pretty severe.

Sometimes the ignore method hurts much more in the end.  While many do this thinking it will work and go away - all it does is backfire.  Best to address and resolve and keep good relations intact.

This has already hurt SIC.

Eagle you ARE SO RIGHT! I filed SIC claim on august 10th, called them - left messages (they never answer). Do you think I got any reply from anybody? Hell no! I dropped the board for repairs at the dealer today and we talked about the customer service. What he mentioned was that SIC is now owned by Neil Pryde and they are literally the worst to deal with. I can see it now. When Flow Sports owned SIC, CS was superb now it is shit. So I guess that will affect my purchasing decisions in the future.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:06:30 PM by gzasinets »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 01:15:25 PM »
Sounds like it will affect others as well.  Shame SIC.
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »
I thought it was a distribution deal with Pryde US.

Definitely a manufacturing defect, and they know it. We all know it. They had tons of returns with exactly that problem.

Check your rights.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 02:20:42 PM »
Ok, guys, here is some update. I left the board at the dealer where I bought it for repair. He sent me couple of pics when he opened one part of the deck. It looks as though divinicell layer is still attached to the core and carbon layer delammed. Again, it is to early to tell if that is gonna be the case on all of the affected area. He also mentioned that the carbon layer is super flexible and you can bend it 180 degrees no prob. I thought carbon layer is supposed to be rigid, no? To me carbon fiber patch looks kind of dry, shouldn't there be some divinicell particles if it were laminated properly? Tell me guys what you see and think. I am just guessing at the moment. Thanks.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 02:29:44 PM »
yes looks like a pretty dry laminate and has not bonded at all, properly laminated carbon would snap long before 180 deg so thats a good tail tail. I hope you can get a warrantee as i would bethinking twice if its worth repairing as if that area is dry there is a fair chance the rest of it is also fairly dry, it certainly would be worth doing a bit more exploring around the board

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »
That looks bone dry and not properly wetted and laminated.  Have your dealer send SIC those pics.  And would get SIC involved immediately for a warranty claim.  That does not look to be user error.  That looks to be a manufacturing error.

Our Bullet 14V2 is completely bonded and does not bubble at all.
Fast is FUN!   8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 09:41:42 PM »
Wow, that is very strange. I've never seen anything like that and I wouldn't know how to make a skin like that--but I'd like to know. That could be useful. It looks like a molded hull with divinycell tossed inside. That is not like any delam I've ever seen.

I think Flow still owns SIC, at least Neill Pryde (Pryde Group) doesn't claim them yet.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:47:51 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 10:06:23 PM »
What ponobill said, something sure went wrong. Funny because I just got a SIC 14' X in today for nose damage. The rails are pretty soft up towards the deck pad.
@rf.boardworks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal