Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 11154 times)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice needed
« on: September 01, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
My 14months old bullet developed a serious sickness. I think it delaminated under the deck pad. What started as a small bubble under the pad turned into a huge thing that makes that clicky sound when you push on it. I initially thought the pad was not glued properly, but apparently I was wrong. Now the question. Fixable? Or should I just use till it falls apart?
Thanks.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Arany

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:37:26 PM »
Better  fix before  it brack and take water 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:46:40 PM »
That's a bummer. I think you may have let this one fester a little too long. Still very fixable. The good thing is, it's on the deck and not really wear you stand. Peel the deck pad and put a big surf sticker on it ;D 
I suspect it was damaged / cracked in that area. That' why you here that cracking when you stand on it. More than likely the off gassing from the EPS has been causing the deck pad to bubble up. Along with water and walking on the crack is just making it worse. Peel the deck pad and assess the damage. Repair and re-pad. No paint matching needed. Doesn't even have to be a pretty repair because the deck will cover it all.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 12:35:41 AM »
just double cheque its not the pad by using a pin into the pad to see if its detached from the glass under neath.( it may be easier to tell in real life but its what i do when one comes in like this.  With the board having a large amount of black i would bet that its sat in the sun to long at one point and caused the delam to at least start by ether melting the foam underneath or just from a build up in pressure. Its fixable but its not a small job. it looks like most of the deck will need to be replaced and rebuilt so if your not doing it yourself its going to be $500 i would think to get it looking nice.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 09:52:52 PM »
Lots of the same happening in Bullets from that generation. Just started in a friends. Click click click. It delaminated.

When that happens to lots of boards in a series isn't that clearly a manufacturing defect? Shouldn't SIC replace that for you?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
Maybe bring your Bullet back to your retailer first and get their take.  Did you leave it out in the sun? - and is your gore vent clogged?
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »
Lots of the same happening in Bullets from that generation. Just started in a friends. Click click click. It delaminated.

When that happens to lots of boards in a series isn't that clearly a manufacturing defect? Shouldn't SIC replace that for you?

Good to know that I am not the only one. Funny thing is I filled out warranty claim on august 10th and no one has gotten back to me. Very interesting approach to customer service.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »
Maybe bring your Bullet back to your retailer first and get their take.  Did you leave it out in the sun? - and is your gore vent clogged?
It wasn't left in the sun for a long time. I look after my boards. It usually takes me 30 mins to get to the beach so yeah it sits on roof rack. For longer distances I use sic board bags. 12.6 bullet is trouble free but this one gives me this crap. I am not even sure how to properly check gore tex plug. It is something that I shouldn't be tinkering with. When my deck delaminated, I unscrewed the plug and try to blow some air through it. It would let the air out but very slowly and I had to blow somewhat hard :))) not sure if it is normal.

Thanks guys for all of your input. It is very valuable. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 01:30:42 PM by gzasinets »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »
It wasn't left in the sun for a long time. I look after my boards. It usually takes me 30 mins to get to the beach so yeah it sits on roof rack. For longer distances I use sic board bags. 12.6 bullet is trouble free but this one gives me this crap. I am not even sure how to properly check gore tex plug. It is something that I shouldn't be tinkering with. When my deck delaminated, I unscrewed the plug and try to blow some air through it. It would let the air out but very slowly and I had to blow somewhat hard :))) not sure if it is normal.

30 minutes is plenty of time to do damage. Are you saying you blew air through the Gore Tex plug itself, or you blew air into the board after removing the plug?
It's not overhead to me!

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »

30 minutes is plenty of time to do damage. Are you saying you blew air through the Gore Tex plug itself, or you blew air into the board after removing the plug?

I blew air into the plug

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 03:35:19 PM »
If you don't have any luck with SIC, it's definitely fixable. Here's a link to how to remove the deck pad.  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,24424.msg246551.html#msg246551

Then you can cut /score thru the bad glass area and peel it off. Replace bad foam areas with a new piece of foam. I route out the foam using a jig to say 1/2". Then Gorilla Glue in a new piece of foam that sticks up a 1/4" or so. Then shave it down with a surform. Fine sand and spackle. Then glass, sand, sand, sand, and install new pad. Just like that ;)
It's not overhead to me!

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 09:39:41 PM »
It can be fixed, its quiet a job if your not familiar with glassing. I would route out the delaminated area drop in new eps foam block sand that and start the feather edging process and fiberglass lay up.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:49:16 PM by eDUBz »
@rf.boardworks

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 07:45:26 AM »
I was thinking routing out the delammed glass and using carbon fiber + divinycell + carbon fiber + 4oz glass for sanding purposes. Of course vacuum bag it. Will it work ? or am I just overcomplicating life?

Thanks!

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
I was thinking routing out the delammed glass and using carbon fiber + divinycell + carbon fiber + 4oz glass for sanding purposes. Of course vacuum bag it. Will it work ? or am I just overcomplicating life?

Thanks!

It will work, nothing wrong with doing it right. I would lay it up the same as the board is built. You don't want to create a hard spot and then have the surrounding area a lil softer, it will start to spider crack along the edges.
@rf.boardworks

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 08:15:45 AM »
Like eDUBz says, that's a good approach. Just know that the divinycell doesn't sand down easily. It's pretty firm stuff. It's expensive too. Some high density PU or Tow-in foam would be cheaper, similar the the board foam and easier to sand. A patch of 5.6 oz CF is going to make the standing area plenty strong. The divinycell might be over-kill.
It's not overhead to me!

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal