Author Topic: New 2017 Naish  (Read 5883 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New 2017 Naish
« on: August 31, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:08:01 PM by DavidJohn »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New 2017 Naish
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:01:10 PM »
Thanks DJ, very useful. Robbie owes you another drink, I reckon ;)

The Maliko looks particularly nice, and its interesting too see the Javelin return to being a full-on flat water board.

Superb that there is now a 14ft DW board for bigger guys in the range (28"
Wide). Up until now there has only really been the F14 (which is pretty heavy), and the Coreban Dart (which at 30" is a little wider than many paddlers would want), excepting the 14x29 Glide (again, rather heavy, and isn't really a DW board per se). 28" wide is going to hit the spot for a lot of people I'd think.

In this respect, I remember reading last year that the Maliko isn't at it's best in confused chop. How is this aspect of its performance now, with the 2017 changes in volume and nose?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »
When I get some free time later tonight, I'm going to watch these videos.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of them.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:19:04 AM »
Looks great. I prefer the 2015 black/red/yellow paint schemes but I'll forgive them if they are as fast as the old ones. The Jav doesn't look that stable though. I'm looking forward to seeing the proposed volume's.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 04:32:42 AM »

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:37:41 AM by DavidJohn »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 01:19:56 AM »

The Maliko looks particularly nice, and its interesting too see the Javelin return to being a full-on flat water board.

Wide). Up until now there has only really been the F14 (which is pretty heavy), and the Coreban Dart (which at 30" is a little wider than many paddlers would want), excepting the 14x29 Glide (again, rather heavy, and isn't really a DW board per se). 28" wide is going to hit the spot for a lot of people I'd think.

In this respect, I remember reading last year that the Maliko isn't at it's best in confused chop. How is this aspect of its performance now, with the 2017 changes in volume and nose?

I've just seen that the 26 inch width Javelin is only going to be 251 litres. Yes, you'll float but I think that's getting awfully on the low side for the average size/weight paddler.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 03:25:30 AM »

I've just seen that the 26 inch width Javelin is only going to be 251 litres. Yes, you'll float but I think that's getting awfully on the low side for the average size/weight paddler.

a 26" wide 14' @ 251L and a 26" wide 14 @ 260L of the same shape will have exactly the same water line bar the difference in weight.  There are other changes the volume will have some positive and some negative but the it will float the same.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 03:50:21 AM »

a 26" wide 14' @ 251L and a 26" wide 14 @ 260L of the same shape will have exactly the same water line bar the difference in weight.  There are other changes the volume will have some positive and some negative but the it will float the same.

..... depending on where the intended waterline is supposed to be. From your experience, what would you suggest are the positive's of dropping the volume ?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 04:13:18 AM »
reduced windage and reduced center of gravity and then the things that are associated with that depend how and were they tock the volume away from.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 06:36:30 AM »
I'll tell you the advantages of lower volume: When downwinding a Grey Paddleboards 14x26.5" board compared with a SIC Bullet 14x27.25" higher volume (thicker railed) board of similar design (both are heavily-rockered pintail planing-type DW boards), I found that in fairly typical confused short period stuff (about 35 knots), the narrower and lower volume Grey board was MORE stable and easier to control than the SIC. In fact it was just easier, full stop.

I think that designers are generally shoving in extra volume because people think it's a good idea. When in fact it often isn't. But give the customers what they want, right?

As I understand it (and I am certainly no expert), 251 litre board will support about something like a 500lb load. Everything that you don't displace (at least half of that for most people) is going to be above the water. So, how much volume do you need above the water, and in excess to what is needed to float you? Volume above the water typically causes you to stand higher and/or will catch wind and chop. There is some advantage in terms of reducing deck washing, and eg. reducing pitching etc but this has to be balanced with factors such as increased windage and general corkiness in adverse conditions.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 08:47:07 AM »
I have not had identical SUP boards of different thickness to compare, but on Surf ski's, and way more so on Wave ski's... the seat hight difference of only 1/4"to 1" can be felt big time...It has been the difference between being having an enjoyable session or not. Had a plush "hot seat" on my Island Waveski (G-Force) which raised it about 1/2" higher than my basic pad and it made the board a LOT more unstable. Not to say it can't be overcome with TOW but all things being equal with the same rider there is an undeniable difference. Especially if you are right on the edge of your individual stability limits.

With the much lower center of gravity on a ski as opposed to an SUP, logic would say the difference would be even more dramatic on an SUP as the center of gravity is appreciably higher.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal