Author Topic: PFD's Questions????  (Read 27549 times)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: PFD's Questions????
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »

A month ago?  :o Mine just shipped late last week,wth? 

I'm guessing he got his earlier because he was higher on the list of backers. 

I joined the kickstarter very early, but maybe not early enough. Or perhaps it was because I ordered two: 1 black, 1 red. Either way I have them now, and I'm pretty impressed with what I see. I tried one on—comfortable!— but haven't paddled with it yet. The only downside I can see—and it would affect swimmers more—is having to take the jacket out to dry. You don't technically have to do it, but leave it wet and the Wingman will start to smell in short order. It's probably not a big issue for kayakers or SUPers, but swimmers and surfers ought to take note.

I screwed up the unit this morning.  I had watched the vid about a week ago.  I should have watched it again, very carefully, before inspecting the vest.  Before screwing in the cartridge, I was tugging all over and marveling at the design.  I pulled on the cord without the cartridge, to see how the cord drives the pin.  They do it in the video.

But the trick is, that green indicator is a one time (use it and it's busted) item.  It's a plastic safety pin that halts the trigger.  Well, I broke it. 

Awww, that's not good. :( The edit in the video was obvious to me, but I thought they had collapsed it for time. I didn't realize that he went and got a new piece. :o They should have given backers at least one replacement automatically.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2016, 04:57:18 AM »
The green pins seem to be pretty standardized, you might luck out and get a replacement on the spot, at your local marine store.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2016, 07:50:57 AM »
^ Thanks!   note to self, must remember, google is my friend...

Looks like pins ship with spare cartridges, so I'll be ship shape again. 

Cant wait to test it for real.

The only vid the makers have of an inflation test is a very early proto that fails due to low pressure.

Those guys need marketing help!

Support your local shaper

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »
^ Thanks!   note to self, must remember, google is my friend...

Looks like pins ship with spare cartridges, so I'll be ship shape again. 

Cant wait to test it for real.

The only vid the makers have of an inflation test is a very early proto that fails due to low pressure.

Those guys need marketing help!

I know just the guy. He'll be back in November. Goes by the name Pono Bill

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2016, 07:11:15 AM »
My Wingman is in the mail. Looking to buy some extra CO2 cartridges. They said 23 gm cartridges on the website but I have not had much luck finding these online. What are you guys using, and where are you finding them?
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2016, 07:33:50 AM »
Support your local shaper

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »
SWEET!  Just got work that my Wingman is on the way!
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2016, 03:14:38 AM »
Well, my Hyde Wingman came on Friday afternoon. I anxiously unboxed it and checked it over. Looks like a well built PFD. The triple bursting zipper is pretty easy to inadvertently "rip" open. So i spent some time learning how to repack the life jacket, as well as figuring out the little things that will make the triple burst zipper begin to open. I accidentally opened a section of the zipper a few times while looking it over, so i pretty quickly got the hang of putting it back together.
Yesterday brought us a pretty solid SE wind at around 15mph and steady. Lake Michigan is still 70 degrees by us, so i went out for a little DW with to of the usual crew. We all wore PFD's, me in the Wingman and the other two guys had fanny pack style PFDs. My first fall i immediately noticed how easy it was to get on the board again, with no "resistance" from the Wingman at all. I would normally wear a belt/fanny pack PFD and a Camelback, and the camelback would always hold a lot of water making in heavy for a few minutes. I also would notice this weight when climbing back on the board, so it was very nice to not ever have that extra water weight. Overall i was very happy with how it fits and looks. I think Hyde has a great product. Now, if they could only make the next generation longer, so it covers your back and stomach more, that would be ideal to me. But that's just because i don't have 6 pack abs. I normally wear a rash guard or SPF rated shirt when i paddle, so not too big of a deal really.
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2016, 09:00:26 PM »
The Ufloat  ;) aka depends

whughes98144

• Waikiki Status
  • Will Hughes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »
I really like my Onyx M-16 Belt Pack but haven't yet tested it (really do plan to).

It's mostly for keeping the coast guard from coming over (it's happened).  And it's very small and light.  Plus with a d-ring on it, great place to tie my phones waterproof pouch (having lost of a phone by NOT having done that).

Will

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »
I just wrote a blog post on minimalist PFDs last week which include some of the ones mentioned here including the Hyde, Valkobi and others. http://stokemagazine.blogspot.com/2016/09/paddle-board-tips-for-big-people-low.html
The post was intended for bigger folks just saw 2 larger folks struggle with a vest style pfd as it made their chest bigger, thus their arm length shorter, thus was hard to get on the board.

If you get a waist c02 belt, fire it off before going offshore. Not as easy to put on as one may think.

I wear a vest style pfd (MTI Cascade) most of the time, but I'm in the Pac NW where we have cold water and I play in whitewater, tidal rapids etc so it also helps with body protection from falls, adds additional insulation and I can carry stuff in the pockets.  Check kayak stores if your local SUP shop doesn't have many vest pfds. try before you to get the best fit. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal