Author Topic: PFD's Questions????  (Read 27387 times)

bmeehan1966

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
PFD's Questions????
« on: August 31, 2016, 08:09:43 AM »
I am now wearing a Personal Flotation Device all the time; after a recent very bad experience of not wearing one.

Though I wanting to a PFD that is less intrusive when paddling.

I want something that is comfortable, but also reliable when needed.

I was thinking of getting PFD' belt pack that inflates with a CO2 cartridge when the strap is pulled.   

Though I would hate to fall in the water and need to have it inflated and the thing does not work.   So are there models that give some type of indicate that it is working and will inflate when needed????

Also, now that I always wear a safety leash, I am hoping I won't have to totally rely on PED's device much.    So my question is if these belt pack PED's get wet (from me falling off my board), but I don't inflate it, will it be damaged and may not work properly the next time????

And does anyone have recommendations fro just less intrusive life-vest that is good for paddling?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: PFD's Questions????
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
I view belt pack PFDs as mostly useful to keep the river patrol from giving me tickets. The least intrusive useful PFD I've found is the Vaikobi. It's Australian I think, and its rated type 5 which means it's mostly a swim aid. But I think it's pretty good. Doesn't interfere with getting back on the board, gets me to the surface quickly and it's comfortable. I can swim reasonably well with it, though it's a lot slower than without. I find belt packs are like an anchor for swimming and camelbacks aren't much better.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 08:27:24 AM »
All of the inflatable belt pack PFDs also have a manual inflation tube if for some reason the CO2 doesn't activate. I've actually gone through the exercise of inflating one while in the water both with CO2 and manually. Pretty easy to do. Getting them wet does no damage. Truthfully most of the time I don't even engage the CO2 bottle and have the beltpack pushed around to my back when I have to wear one (same reason Pono gives...I don't want a ticket). With a leash it's less likely you'll ever need it. Pushed around to my back I forget its even there until I try and get in my truck. I have a few of the MTI belt backs and got my granddaughter one of their kids PFDs...great stuff all around. They have a few models that are made SUP specific for more freedom of motion with how we paddle.
https://www.mtiadventurewear.com/products/sup

Very nice folks too...long time sponsor of the CCBC.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:33:36 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:37:23 AM »
I think it will depend what problem you are trying to solve.  You mention a bad experience, so I assume that's what you want to prevent - whatever it was. 

I have a belt pack for the ticketing reason.  I've never tried inflating it, but from pictures, it looks very cumbersome when inflated, like it would be hard to do anything much except float.  I think it is only useful when all else fails. 

I have a regular PFD that is comfortable and I can do whatever I want with it on, so it is useful if I want reliable flotation in more normal situations.  I use when I'm more worried about falling in, like in cold water. 

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
Keeping an eye on this product which looks interesting:

http://www.hyde-sportswear.com/pages/home-2
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 10:25:50 AM »
I view belt pack PFDs as mostly useful to keep the river patrol from giving me tickets. The least intrusive useful PFD I've found is ...

... is the Restube

Also (and I believe mostly) useful as an awesome "woohoo, see me please" device. Which is useful to have with you.

If you need a jacket type PFD use an impact vest.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
We use the Stearns SUP inflatable belt pack PFD...very well made and unobtrusive...$89.95

http://supsports.com/shop/sup-schwag/gear/stearns-belt-pack-pfd/
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 11:03:51 AM »
If the OP had that bad of an experience I don't  know if a belt pack pfd is right for him.  Most belt packs require you to have the wherewithal to pull the lanyard, then put your head in the thing and buckle it up around you.  All while treading water or holding your breath. Or even blowing it up manually if for some reason it fails to inflate.  Dakine has a very slim belt pack pfd out now that inflates like a swimmers torpedo across the front of you, and it's very low profile.  bmeehan, if you go with a belt pack make sure you waste at least one sir cartridge learning how to use it, in water (over you head).  Some of the full on PFDs that surfski ears use, like Vaicobi or Mocke, are low profile and easy to paddle in. 

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 11:05:17 AM »
Is there a pic of the Stearns inflated?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »
I'm not a fan of the inflatable type of PFDs. I don't want to find out the CO2 cartridge won't inflate the PFD when it is needed. It is a trust issue with me. I'm sort of leaning towards the Vaicobi or Mocke type PFDs since our water temperature in the summer out in the surf zone on the upper Texas coast is anywhere between 85-90 degrees F.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 02:11:01 PM »

I think this is the same model:

I prefer the Onyx, but they all have limitations.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 03:12:59 PM »

A couple better pics of it inflated...
The waist worn pouch has a nylon enclosure surrounding the flotation bladder that pops open the Velcro as the CO2 canister fills the bladder by pulling the cord...there is also an oral inflation tube...the neck strap is then placed around the back of the head and adjusted...pretty simple and straightforward...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 05:01:43 PM »

A couple better pics of it inflated...
The waist worn pouch has a nylon enclosure surrounding the flotation bladder that pops open the Velcro as the CO2 canister fills the bladder by pulling the cord...there is also an oral inflation tube...the neck strap is then placed around the back of the head and adjusted...pretty simple and straightforward...

I picked up one of these Stearns in the US this summer, and like it a lot due to the smaller size to my MTI one for regular paddling and racing. There is also a small zippered pocket on it that can fit a pack or two of gel which I like.

The one I have used for last 3 years is the MTI Fluid Waist Pack Inflatable PFD Life Vest (see pic below) which is more bulky, but does have the added advantage that the inflated portion also goes around the neck, and so this is my preferred choice when I am 1-2 miles (1.6 - 3.2kms) off shore in the ocean. I can also fit energy bars etc inside the bag easily which you cannot with the Stearns one

I always give the pfd a rinse in fresh water every time I use them. If I did not fall in the water, I just rinse the outside to get rid of sweat etc, as they start to smell after a time. If I've fallen in the water, then I open up the pack, rinse and hang up to dry before re-packing before use. The Stearns one is real easy to do this to, as it is just a roll, whereas the MTI one is a little more complicated to refold up. I also check that the CO2 cylinder is properly connected and the unit is "armed".

I also travel with these and put them in my check-in luggage, with the CO2 canisters connected (i.e. "armed"). So far I have had no issues from airlines. I'd also recommend getting spare cylinders with you in case you use the pfd or it gets inflated by a mistake. It is important to take care about the small "pull cord" that dangles out the back of these. Usually when travelling I tuck the pull cord into the bag so it cannot get caught in anything, and pull it out before I wear it. I once sat down on a slatted wooden dock after paddling and the pull cord T handle managed to lodge itself into the gap between two slats and when I stood up, "WHOOSH", and the pfd was inflated.  ;D

If you are going out in gnarly conditions, then I recommend a full kayaking or surfski type PFD. Fiddling with a pull cord, having to switch the belt around from your back to the front may be just too much in an emergency situation
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:13:49 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »
I had an experience earlier this year where I took a tumble off my board and smacked my ribs on the rail. Very, very painful. I was wearing a waist belt which of course didn’t offer any protection at all for my ribs. After recommendations from another Zoner (I think it was Eagle???) I purchased a Kokatat Orbit PFD. It is low profile and not obtrusive at all. I now wear it every time out. Was a great investment!

https://kokatat.com/product/orbit-tour-pfd-lvuobt
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal