Author Topic: First All Around Board Purchase  (Read 5565 times)

River Hill

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
First All Around Board Purchase
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:21:34 AM »
I am considering purchasing my first SUP in the near future.  I live in MD, but spend a great deal of time in NC.  I recently tried both surfing a longboard and riding a SUP in the backwater.  I really enjoyed both.  I have seen people surfing with a SUP, so I was wondering if there is a good all around SUP that would do both?  I don't mind spending the money on something that is good quality, as I was already considering purchase both a longboard and a SUP for backwater.

I started looking online and there are so many companies it is hard to tell what is what.

I am 46, weigh 190# and 5'11.  I am open to any suggestions or input.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: First All Around Board Purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:34:24 AM »
Buy used.

With more time on the water, you'll get a better feel for what works where you use the board most.  Give yourself 6 months of use on a decent all arounder, and then decide what dimensions you want to shoot for.  Check the classifieds here, craigslist, and the local shops for a good buy.  It may not be the perfect solution now, but it's the fastest way to that type of solution later.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
Used is best if you can find something. I'd look for a board between 10'6x30 and 11'6x32 to start.

River Hill

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 03:01:03 AM »
Spent some time on Craigslist last night and there are many boards out there. Any brands to look for or stay away from?  If I go the used route, I will try and find a fairly new one. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 03:53:22 AM »
You said you don't mind paying for good quality, so a few good brands to look for are Naish, Starboard, Jimmy Lewis, Sunova, Riviera. There are many more that maybe others will mention.

I'd avoid Wavestorm, SUP ATX, Bic.

The Naish Nalu is a great all around board, as well as the Jimmy Lewis Hanalei.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 04:25:30 AM »
I'm going to disagree with Badger about Bic. Bic is a solid choice. They have a solid construction, and the shapes are fine. They're very popular as a first-time board, and you can find them just about everywhere. NSP boards are good too.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:42:32 AM »
@River Hill

I hardly ever run with the pack. In other words, I'm not one to always follow conventional wisdom. If I had to do it all over again and wanted to get one sup to do both flat water paddling and surfing waves, I would have went with a short length sup. Since I wanted to have a second sup to both flat water and surfing, I chose a much shorter sup which you can see in my signature as my second sup. I'm only 145 pounds and my shorter sup, which was designed for sup surfing, paddles great on flat water. Now, getting back to you.

If you like sup surfing and riding in backwaters (salt marshes where I come from), I think you can have both in a smaller length sup than what is being recommended length wise by others. In the video below, Al Fimlaid is on a Standup Paddlesports 9'5" Hammer (and I think it is the 31" width Hammer since the 9'5" comes in both 31" and 33" width production models). Al is wearing the yellow shirt and he weighs 190 pounds and that is exactly what you weigh. Watch him at the 1:25 and 2:08 time marks on the video. You'll see how smooth he can surf small waves while riding the 9'5" Hammer. BTW, his daughter Kristine in the video, is 6'1". She's not as polished as her dad is (in my opinion) and you'll see that when the two of them are together riding side by side. Al riding the small waves makes it look easy and effortlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb-pfYFeihY

With the length of 9'5", I think you can paddle any backwater you like. You'll give up a little glide, but the ability to turn around in tight spots is going to be an advantage. BTW, the Hammer model comes standard as a quad + 1 fin setup. If you want to check out this particular sup model in many different lengths and widths, the link to it is below.

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

River Hill

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great information and feedback.

I found a great deal on a used 2016 Naish Nalu. The board is 10'6" long and 30" wide. It has 3 fins, but the guy said he sometimes rides with one fin on the lakes.

I wonder if I am too heavy at 190# for this board?

Still doing lots of research and seems most of the all around boards have a single or 3 fins.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 10:56:13 AM »
Most entry boards are between 10'-11'6", which is a good compromise for flatwater paddling and learning to surf.  I'd recommend sticking within those parameters. 

Good chance you already know this, but since no one has spelled it out yet...

A longer board - or, longer waterline specifically - will track straighter & be faster for flatwater paddling. Anyone who says otherwise lacks an understanding of basic physics.   

A shorter board will be more maneuverable in the surf.  However, it also requires better timing to catch waves & more experience to harness the extra maneuverability in the surf.  By short I'm talking sub-9'.

As a beginner, going short isn't always the best choice IMO.  A lot of beginners who don't even plan to surf are told "shorter boards are more maneuverable" like it's some kind of advantage.  It's not.  It's marketing-speak for saying "this board tracks like sh*t."  For flatwater paddling, you'll appreciate straight tracking and glide, and maneuvering a board of any length is easy once you develop good paddling techniques. 

Additionally, it's easier to get into small waves on a longer board & easier for beginners to catch waves generally. That's a good thing; wave count should be the priority when learning to surf IMO. 

Others have already filled you in on some good brands.   

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »

I found a great deal on a used 2016 Naish Nalu. The board is 10'6" long and 30" wide. It has 3 fins, but the guy said he sometimes rides with one fin on the lakes.

Still doing lots of research and seems most of the all around boards have a single or 3 fins.

That's a great board - I'd demo it if you can and see how it feels.  It might not feel stable right off the bat, but if your balance is good you could definitely become very comfortable on it with practice. 

The side fins aid in turning on a wave. On flatwater they might aid in stability & tracking a little, but they also add drag.   
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 11:46:31 AM »

That's a great board - I'd demo it if you can and see how it feels.  It might not feel stable right off the bat, but if your balance is good you could definitely become very comfortable on it with practice. 

The side fins aid in turning on a wave. On flatwater they might aid in stability & tracking a little, but they also add drag.

+1 probably a good choice for what you've outlined.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »
Most entry boards are between 10'-11'6", which is a good compromise for flatwater paddling and learning to surf.  I'd recommend sticking within those parameters. 

Good chance you already know this, but since no one has spelled it out yet...

A longer board - or, longer waterline specifically - will track straighter & be faster for flatwater paddling. Anyone who says otherwise lacks an understanding of basic physics.   

A shorter board will be more maneuverable in the surf.  However, it also requires better timing to catch waves & more experience to harness the extra maneuverability in the surf.  By short I'm talking sub-9'.

As a beginner, going short isn't always the best choice IMO.  A lot of beginners who don't even plan to surf are told "shorter boards are more maneuverable" like it's some kind of advantage.  It's not.  It's marketing-speak for saying "this board tracks like sh*t."  For flatwater paddling, you'll appreciate straight tracking and glide, and maneuvering a board of any length is easy once you develop good paddling techniques. 

Additionally, it's easier to get into small waves on a longer board & easier for beginners to catch waves generally. That's a good thing; wave count should be the priority when learning to surf IMO. 

Others have already filled you in on some good brands.   

Agree 100%. I couldn't have said it better.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 06:52:37 PM »
I'd go for the Nalu if the price is right. You aren't going to be too small for it if you already know how to surf a longboard.

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »
If you have the money and enjoyed both, buy both.  I would guess that a cruising SUP and a surf board will out perform a surf-style sup in both areas. 

River Hill

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »
If you have the money and enjoyed both, buy both.  I would guess that a cruising SUP and a surf board will out perform a surf-style sup in both areas.

This was a thought, but I want to be able to spot waves from a distance. I plan on finding my own waves and stay out of the way as a beginner.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:51:52 PM by River Hill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal