Author Topic: Leak in seam inflatable  (Read 10207 times)

ernie00

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Leak in seam inflatable
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:43:26 AM »
I have an inflatable SUP for traveling.  I really enjoy it.   I was in FL this summer and on the water I realized there was a tiny leak in one of the seam.   it's not big but obviousely on a new board it's not something you want.   

Since I was in FL and the company is based out of FL, I called my dealer in Canada.   If I had to send the board back it would be very easy to do so and not as expensive as shipping from up north.

I was told to repair it myself or go to a zodiac place and the company will cover the price.  I called a zodiac place at home and the guy said, he has no problem doing the repair but last time he did a board he started ripping the seams and once you start to do that you don't know what you are going to find.   It ended up costing 450$.   Needless to say the company didn't want to pay that.

So they told me, to put glue where the leak is and with a vaccum where you pump to suck the glue in.    I don't even see a hole so I have doupt think glue will go in.

Any ideas on this ?

My worry is to do the repair myself, do a crappy job and then the company will tell me that my warranty is void.

thanks
Ern

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leak in seam inflatable
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »
Sorry about your situation.  I'm curious to know about repairing drop stitch material myself. I never had a problem with my ULI inflatable but it was heavy duty material.  Even ULI has made some lighter /thinner material boards that had similar issues after very little use. I'm sure the people who repair zodiac type of boats know very well how to repair these boards.
When you're talking about glue, it can be just one spot where the glue or seam didn't get a full lap or the glue never cured right. If it's bad glue then it's not worth a repair. In that case you maybe be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer? Don't try the repair yourself unless you're stuck with it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »
If it is a new board, and is less than a year old - it should be covered under warranty - and should be replaced by the manufacturer. 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 09:14:59 AM »
If it is a new board, and is less than a year old - it should be covered under warranty - and should be replaced by the manufacturer. 

^ +1
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

ernie00

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
that is what I was thinking that it would be warrany and being on vacation in FL with the company in FL made things so much easier than if I was back home in Canada.    I just made sense to send the board to me.

I talked to my store who talked to the company and this went back and forth a few times,  and it looks like they didn't want to take it back that I needed to attempt the repair myself.

I'm back home now and I wrote the company myself to have everything in writing from them.   I don't mind trying to put glue in there, I have serious doupts about it.    But I want to make sure they will honor the warranty if it doesn't work or / and if I do a crappy job about it.   The board is 6 month old and been used on 2 trips.

Thanks for the info.

Ern

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 09:31:40 AM »
Ern - - I own a shop in Canada - and this is NOT how it works. 

You should get a new board - period. 

The shop should take care of shipping the warranty one to the company (or sending photos / video of the area) and then destroying the bad one.  The manufacturer should take care of sending a replacement to the shop.

That is how it works for all the brands of inflatables we sell.
Starboard / Red Paddle / Imagine / JP Australia / SIC / Jimmy Lewis / Hobie 

Press the issue - you are owed a new board. 

As for a repair - - I would not attempt it.  Even if you do fix the area - it will most likely just start leaking near the repair.  A faulty seam IS WARRANTY.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »
The board is 6 month old and been used on 2 trips.
My very first iSUP (Solstice) had a seam fail within a few months. The manufacture warranted the board and sent me out a new one without any issue. I did have to send the failed one back and incur the shipping cost, but that was expected since the warranty was handled directly through the manufacture per their requirements. The shop where I got it would have given me a new one as well, but they were out of stock and had no intentions to order any more for the season.
Send that board back asap! No need to have to repair something that's obviously a defect. Any repair on an iSUP will create a weak spot for life with the possibility of it failing again, so avoiding repairs altogether is VERY advantageous.
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

ernie00

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
This has been resolved !  :)   

Looks like the person at the store who was taking care of me was on holidays.   Imagine Surf took care of me right away with the help of a member here !      I will get replacement for the board.

Thanks everyone.

Ern

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »
Great news!  8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
Awesome.  Have Fun paddling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal