Author Topic: Getting started racing  (Read 1788 times)

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Getting started racing
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »
 So I haven't been paddling too long but I'm itching to start doing some races and looking for a little advice. Right now I mainly paddle in the ocean, usually 1.5 to 2 hour runs along the surf line on a 14' Naish Glide. Should I just enter some events on it and get smoked a few times on that to get a feel or invest in an actual race board now and start getting used to it? I'm on the east coast of Florida so I expect there are plenty of open water events where the glide might be less of a disadvantage given the water here is almost always chopped up past 9 am when the wind gets going or are displacement boards suitable in all conditions save strict downwinding? I'm going to check out a few events in the next couple of weeks to get a feel but if it's worth just staying on the glide for now I'll likely just enter them and figure it out as I go. While I'm not going to be competitive now the plan is to become so at some point, so I'd like to get started right any tips are appreciated.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started racing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 06:02:40 PM »
Use the Glide until you have a chance to figure out what board will work out best for you.  Depends on your skill height weight - balance to power and strength to weight ratios etc.  Try to ride as many boards as you can to get a feel what you like best for the conditions you will be racing in.  An important aspect is to have fun and not get injured because you overdo training and racing.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:42:11 PM »
I agree with Eagle. Stay on the Glide and then at the end of the race, ask to try out some of the other competitors boards. I've always found people are very generous after a race and will also give great ideas on what works and what does not, and where to buy. You may even get someone willing to part with a well looked after 2016 race board for a decent price to upgrade to a 2017 one. Try before you buy and don't go too narrow..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 12:52:48 AM »
Good advice here.

"Try before you buy, and don't go too narrow". Quite right. And I might add "and don't believe everything you are told, especially by SUP brands and their representatives".

If you really want to get serious about doing well at racing, you'll need a training program. Have a look at what Larry Cain's Paddle Monster site offers. Or join a SUP club locally, if you have one. Getting properly fast will probably mean changing just about everything about your lifestyle.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:29:44 PM »
Definitely start on the Glide.

Also, remember that most of our races here in Florida have both a "rec" division which races a shorter distance and usually has less hard-core paddlers, and an "elite" division which races longer distances and usually has more serious paddlers. From your description, you're probably already good enough to finish mid pack in the rec division on your Glide, so that would be a good division to start in.

In addition to the big event races, there are now several little informal "race leagues" and things run by local shops, which will host flatwater races every Tuesday night after work, for example. Joining in on one of those would be a good way to get practice and meet some training partners.

-James

14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 01:55:13 PM »
+1 to what everyone else has said.  Race the board you have and have fun.  I'll guarantee you won't be the last.  Every race I've been in there are always a few people who look like they're going out on a borrowed board for the first time.

BTW what year Glide is it?  Even the old shapes with more rocker were actually surprisingly fast.  While shape does matter, for most of us hopping on a race board doesn't often make us hugely faster.  As Area 10 says, there's a lot more stuff that factors in.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 04:36:47 PM »
  Thanks for the advice everyone. It's a 2015 29", doesn't seem too bad in the few times I've paddled it in the flat. It tracks relatively well once going, I mostly notice it's slow to accelerate. Probably due to its 35 lb weight and the rocker, it likes to turn with the first couple strokes. No doubt I'll get faster on the glide, or really any board over time, so per everyone's consensus I'll stick to it until it becomes more of a factor and focus on technique and paddling endurance. I'll catch an event this weekend to get a feel of what its like and probably sign up for one on the 11th and jump into it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal