Author Topic: ??Best entry level touring SUP??  (Read 10580 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: ??Best entry level touring SUP??
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 08:32:51 AM »
I am 68 years old 5'8" and weigh 150. Not a racer, but I like to paddle on flatwater and go as fast as I can in the name of Cardio Rehab. Also had (still have) balance issues. Here is the boards that have come and gone:

Exocet Marlin 12'6 x 30. Rounded canoe. Primary instability high, secondary high. A 32 centimeter fin helped a little. End of year deal.

Jimmy Lewis Blade II 12'6 x 29. Faster, more fun except horrendous with boat wakes.
A closeout!

Imagine Rocket 12'6" x 27. Rounded pintail. Fast in glass. Challenging in cross winds. 2013 closeout.

JP 2015 12'6" Race 28" wide. 21 pounds of speed and Tippy for me. Boga Boy O'Hara borrowed it and said fast, but really tippy! He has serious skills OBTW.

Focus 14' Bluefin 26" wide. Stable, good in chop, wakes, DW. A little heavy and not ax fast as I had hoped. A straight swap for a short sup.

Too many "wrong boards" "right price" experiences. Too many boards that are unstable in chop, boat wakes, cross winds.

Don't worry you'll get it in time! Hah!

Try as many different boards as you can. If you are on lakes, rivers, that are truly "flatwater", that is a very different environment  than open ocean conditions, or voodoo chop in tidal estuaries, and bays.

It seems to a trend in "real" raceboards to be on a board that you can put the overwhelming majority of your effort into paddling as opposed to staying upright.

My own experiences with closeouts, deals has been mixed to say the least. I am now far wiser and more experienced than I was.

Executive Summary:

1. Get the "right board" at the "right price"..

2. Get a board that is designed for your specific conditions.

3. Get a board for your current skill level. It will improve. Struggling on a recreational board that ain't right, for a variety of reasons, sucks!

4. There is an enormous amount of info on the interweb with multiple boards being tested. Google sniff around. You will learn many things.

Good luck with your search!!

Of the three you mentioned I would go for the Starby!

;D  ;D  ;D

Hey Mr. Big,

Just wanted to say I don’t disagree with you that a person should not buy a board just because it’s a good deal. But if it’s a great board, and a good deal, then to me it’s a no brainer. And while I can’t speak directly to the 14’ x 27.75” Lahui Kai (I’ve never paddled it), I can say that the 12’ 6” x 26” Lahui Kai Team Race is a very nice board. 
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »
Absolutely! That is a perfect example of the "right board at the right" price.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

TC-RC-MGC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 10:15:29 AM »
UPDATE: I went with the Lahui Kai 14'x27" 3X Carbon Race board. I took it out this morning for the first time and I love it!! I'm very satisfied with the performance of the board; it's quicker then my 10'10" (all around board) and felt very stable. I'm very happy with this purchase and would recommend this board to any one getting into the sport.

I'll up load pictures soon..

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »
Congratulations! You got a great board at a very good price. As I previously mentioned, I just recently bought the Lahui Kai, 12' 6" x 26" Team Race and it is now my go to board. The more I paddle it the more I like it. Welcome to the Lahui Kai club!!!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 11:49:21 AM »
It seems the advice everyone provided was quite good for once.  Haha!  You were pushed from a 32 -> down to a 30 -> down to a 27.75!  And from a 12'6 to a 14!

But that 27.75 should be a good ride - plenty stable and much more efficient comparably.  Especially for $1210 in carbon new - that board is definitely priced right.   ;)

http://www.lahuikai.com
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:54:46 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
That is one hell of a deal on the Lahui Kai, and I'm still tempted. It got good reviews as an all conditions board when it came out too, so it's not just a flat water board by any stretch. I'm just not a fan of the liftsup handle at all.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »
Great board and congrats..

It's not what I'd call an 'entry level tourer' but it's a hell of a good race board..  8)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 08:55:53 PM »
I'm just not a fan of the liftsup handle at all.

Hi Robon,

Just curious as to why you don’t like the liftsup handle on the Lahui Kai? I haven’t had my board long enough to know if the handle will stand up, so I can’t comment on how durable it is. But I do really like the way the handle functions. I know everyone raves about the SIC handle, but I actually think I like the liftsup better. I can wrap my hand around the liftsup handle the same way I can with the SIC handle, but with the liftsup handle not in use, there is no hole in the deck. May seem like a small thing, but I quite like the feeling of having a solid deck to walk on.

I also have to admit that I’m no expert on the SIC handle as I’ve only paddled an SIC board a couple of times, and each time was for a very short time period.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 09:22:45 PM »
Have not tried the liftsup - but the SIC easy grab is nice because it is solid and you can torque the board if needed.  The SB AS23 foam handle is also good - but feels like the screws could rip out at some point.  The SIC in that way is best in that it is glassed in and 100% rigid.  Like that.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 04:37:24 AM »
If you paddle in conditions with a shorebreak then a liftsup handle is a poor choice because it's awkward to deploy in a critical situation. I nearly died in big shorebreak when I couldn't get the liftsup handle open as a wave was approaching so had to let the board go, and it washed up and round a rusty metal and concrete sea defence, pinning me there as I got pounded. Sometimes the split second you need to open the handle is a split second too much.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »
I have tried a couple different boards with the liftsup, Boardworks offerings being one and just wasn't that impressed. I'm sure I would get used to it, but I like the ledge style more for ease of use. When it gets rough out and you need an extra assist getting back on the board, using the ledge style is much easier, and like Area described, probably a hell of a lot safer. I'm sure the SIC style would be much easier when you want to hold your board in place and use it for more leverage as well. A friend with the liftsup couldn't get her handle to open when it had some sand in it and I had wash it out and pry it open again.

Walking to and from the water, the liftsup is good, but I prefer traditional for every other application.

striveseeksup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »
TC-

Are you still enjoying your board? I'm going to be taking out a 14' this week, I hope, and based on the responses here I'm seriously considering the Lahui Kai (though it looks that the price has gone back up about $500.) Are you ok with the liftsup handle?

Would love to see some of those pics...or are you out having too much fun on the board  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal