Author Topic: Need some recommendations for spots near San Diego  (Read 2883 times)

sup juno

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Need some recommendations for spots near San Diego
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:13:34 AM »
Hi,

I am on a business trip next month to San Diego. I might have 2 days where I could go out on a SUP and maybe you could give me some ideas where to go if time is limited and there is no chance to be there again within the next couple of years maybe. I am from Germany and I do have average skills touring but really no experience surfing.

Here is a video of a ride with my dog:
https://youtu.be/gaQzVUmaFlg?t=4s

I am also looking for a good shop to buy a new/used iSUP. Any idea where to go??

Thanks for any advice

Regards

George

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need some recommendations for spots near San Diego
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:43 AM »
Mission Bay (SD) is a great place to paddle. It's a pretty big bay with tons of sandy shores. Their are a number of rental places around Mission Bay. I don't have experience with any of them but I've paddled and sailed there tons of times. Welcome to the Zone.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sup juno

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »
I had that on the list. Do you think I can make that in a day and what areas are best for SUP?? I do not know how to get there yet but I thought La Jolla could be worth it??

c u

George

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
If it's SUP surfing you're looking for, that gets more complicated. Lots of breaks, but not all are SUP friendly. Some are for more experienced surfers. If you are looking to do so open ocean paddling, La Jolla Cove is a fairly safe launch point, but you could launch at La Jolla Shores as well. That's if you're comfortable with launching through the surf? For flat water paddling San Diego Bay is almost too busy with ship traffic to enjoy yourself. Mission Bay is very accessible a the perfect setting for paddling. I do a race there every year.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 12:26:22 PM »
I'd suggest that you call either West Coast Paddle Sports at 858 272-3278 or OEX at 619 224-4241 for rental SPs. They can advise you on the best places to go either in Mission Bay, La Jolla, or San Diego bay.

sup juno

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 02:47:17 AM »
Thanks for your feedback. I will check with them about the options.
What do you think about these guys?? http://adventure.everydaycalifornia.com/

I have been thinking about spending a full day at La Jolla and do a sort of combo between SUPing und snorkeling.
Are there any guided tours you can recommend?? I mean San Diego bay for example would make a lot more fun when doing it a group at night maybe?? I saw a sort of moonshine tour in Mission bay. Has anybody tried this??

c u

Georg

BTW: Any reefers here?? I will be on MACNA as exhibitor.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 08:37:43 PM »
I'd suggest that you call either West Coast Paddle Sports at 858 272-3278 or OEX at 619 224-4241 for rental SPs. They can advise you on the best places to go either in Mission Bay, La Jolla, or San Diego bay.

Do this

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 08:31:11 AM »
La Jolla Cove is a great paddle if the conditions aren't too rough.  Go early on a small surf day.  I've always launched from La Jolla Shores but there may be somewhere else.

Mission Bay is a very nice flatwater paddle, especially on a day where the surf is up.  Park on the east side of Bahia Resort.  Lots of miles to be found in the bay, and you will have easy access to the ocean through the inlet.  Be careful of boat traffic on the weekend, but as long as there isn't significant swell the inlet is pretty easy to manage.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal