Author Topic: Kai Lenny, Casper Steinfath and Bernd Roediger vs Dragon Boat  (Read 8183 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: Kai Lenny, Casper Steinfath and Bernd Roediger vs Dragon Boat
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 10:51:13 PM »
I looked up dragon boat world records. 200m record is 40 seconds, which is 11.2 mph average. I think the sup 200m record is 47 seconds by danny ching, but that is with a rolling start, and he is the only one in the world under 50 seconds. Rolling start,  as an aside, is an idiotic way to structure a race. But that is a different subject. Bottom line is that dragon boats are simply much faster than SUP so the results are no surprise.

Here are the vids of those world records. No way a SUP is going to beat this type of speed over 200m in a straight line..

The Philippine World record Dragon boaters (No.3 boat)

https://youtu.be/NaoqkLUhS8g

vs Danny Ching

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:57:17 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 12:25:11 AM »
Area. Totally agree. From this vid, it looks like a dead heat to me or even that Kai won!

Casper was the first SUP over the line in the first 200m race on a Javelin. Since they only had these three 2017 boards with them on this day, they swapped around. You can see in this, the third race, Casper on the Maliko seems to be sort of easing off 1/2 way down the first leg and and letting Kai go first to the buoy.  It was brutally hot (33 deg C and 100% humidity and zero wind) so these conditions were also not exactly ideal..
Yeah, especially tough if you come from Denmark - maybe not quite so tough if you are from Hawaii... It will be interesting to see the ISA Worlds happening in cold water for once: a dunking might be a bit of a shock for those from the tropics.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »
I raced a dragon boat that was training one time - upon entering into Squamish after a DW run.  Was neck and neck for a short sprint on the SIC Bullet 14V2.  But was totally gassed.

Reminds me of some buffoon, paddling 'outside the ropes', keeping pace with Annabel briefly, during a BOP race...

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 09:15:34 AM »
Haha - can see that.  ;D   But talked to the crew beforehand as I had a GPS and told them the speed we were going.  Posted a pic of us chatting from my tail mounted GoPro about a year ago.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:18:59 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 02:44:33 AM »
I stand corrected. Today I was with the organisers of the races and Kai DID win the last race by a fraction as is shown in the video. My bad...

So the results were

1. 200m vs 20 Man Dragon boat: Winner: Dragon Boat
2. 200m vs 10 Man Dragon boat: Winner: Dragon Boat
3. 400m vs 20 Man Dragon boat with one 180 deg buoy turn at 200m mark: Winner Kai Lenny

Amazing effort and result. 
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 07:01:49 AM »
impressive the extra speed he finds... for the win. The other guys (SUP) aren't half bad and they got dusted.

david and goliath!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal