Author Topic: Viento run from a high vantage point  (Read 4441 times)

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Viento run from a high vantage point
« on: August 26, 2016, 10:22:33 AM »
My wife took this iPhone video of me from Mitchell's point. I am visible on an orange board about 1/4 of the way across the river.  It is pretty grainy & crappy quality. However, I think it captures the power of the river nicely.

It also captures the simple & obvious fact that speed on a downwinder is all just % of time in plane.  For the first 20 seconds or so, I am essentially bobbing about doing nothing.  However, I link a few after that and end up covering a lot of water pretty quickly. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Viento run from a high vantage point
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
Nice.

Yes, it's all about the glides, and when you're bucking current in the river, it's really apparent that you aren't going far except when you grab a swell.

I think I've gotten really hooked on the one man outrigger because of that feeling of endless speed and gliding. You seldom fall off of the wave train, even in lighter conditions. That's not so true with standup. I love standup as well, but it is a lot easier to miss glides and feel like you're bobbing. Guys like JR ride their standup boards so well, it is like they are in a boat. They seldom miss a bump and they are always moving downwind quickly.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:09:05 PM »
So do you sit down to pee now too?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »
Nice video. Just wish whoever was taking the video had a telephoto lens on the camera.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:06:50 PM »
So do you sit down to pee now too?

Only when I go to your house, I hate making a mess.

Gotta go load for the 1pm Maliko right now. I already pee'd standing up, but I'm gonna sit down again for the run. You should try it sometime - if you can ever get your boat back from HM. Pretty addictive averaging close to 10 mph for mile after mile. Even if you have to sit down to do it.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
How good does that look!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 04:04:04 PM »
I need to lose all this visceral fat so I can bend in the middle first. The way my knee is going I might be sitting down to pee downwind pretty soon anyway.

Looking forward to seeing you meatheads. I tried to remember Boyum's first name a few weeks ago--it just left me. But then again, it's hard to remember.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 08:34:49 PM »
By the way, thanks for the shaming PB. I took my freaking SUP on the Maliko today instead of sitting.

I'd describe the run but I'm not hijacking the thread any more than I've already done. Let's just say Viento was a lot better in the video than Maliko was today. It was sticky and slow the last couple miles. Top was decent. I was actually happy to be standing until Kite Beach. From there on, the OC1 would have been welcome.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »

/ Pretty addictive averaging close to 10 mph for mile after mile. /

Rounding up to the next higher MPH is second nature to PB.  I gave up correcting his errant math years ago.

But I expect better of you homie. 

You are closer to 9 than 10.  10 is very, very fast.  10 is 54 flat.

;)
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 09:56:55 PM »
Life is hard, and then you die. There are hundreds of people on the Zone feeling terrible that your last two miles on the Maliko were less than ideal. I can feel them pulling for you. Wait, what are those torches for???

Larry, I've tried so hard to explain this to you, the rules for rounding are simple. If it's better for you to round up, then do. If it's better to round down, then do. the operant world is "better". Math is simple when you know the rules.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 10:27:17 PM »
It's official, sorry Blue, your thread has been hijacked. Hopefully it is just temporary.

LPB, when talking to Pono Bill, I would always be inclined to over exaggerate.  But you are absolutely correct.  I had three solid miles that were 9.0, 9.1 and 9.3 mph, a LONG ways from 10 mph, but, again, this is Pono Bill I'm talking to. So 10 mph is a reasonable jump to try and get his attention, if only for a few seconds.

This was my second OC1 run in less than a week where I hit the hour, 1:00:28. Pretty stoked to finally get there. It has taken a full two years of paddling the one-man. Southbay finished about 40 seconds ahead of me, his second time BREAKING the hour in the past few weeks.

Exaggeration and hyperbole notwithstanding, we both have noticed that our peak speeds are less extreme but our average speeds are climbing. That seems to be the key to a fast run, and gets back to this thread somewhat, staying in the glides continuously turns out to be much faster overall than charging down waves and having big spikes in speed when you don't keep connecting the bumps.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:04:44 PM by covesurfer »

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 10:43:19 PM »
I am all for a thread getting hijacked in the name of trash talk.  It is sounding like I'll need to get an OC at some point.  Not on the 1 year horizon, but eventually. Cove, is the OC fun in flat water or choppy crap? The reality is that represents 90% of my TOW.

The speed / glide thing is never so evident as when paddling with my 2 sons aged 10 & 11.  For some reason, the margin for connecting very few versus tons of bumps is razor thin with those guys.  I think it is some combination of strength & mentality.  If the wind is <25, then they just can't muscle in quite as much.  They seem to be paddling the whole damn time.  However, when it is fully on, and they don't get spooked for some reason (~50% chance), then they can really fly.  Last week, my older son did his first run and it took >2 hours.  His very next run was somewhere between 80 & 90 minutes. While the 2nd run was a bit windier, the first was still a bonafide downwinder. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 11:01:44 PM »
The OC1 is a good workout in flat, smooth conditions and it is still a lot of work to paddle in rough, choppy stuff. More 'fun' than a standup in less than ideal conditions but, like standup, I find myself living for the downwinders and taking it surfing.

With the surfing, you have to pick your conditions but it can really be fun in smaller, or at least in less powerful waves. I did some pretty good damage to my canoe last winter in the harbor while surfing it. But the guy that fixed it made it look better than before the damage. Only real lasting damage was to my wallet  ::)

For me, the fun of the boat is a thing of value in and of itself. But it also is very good at teaching how to read the water and how to steer through bumps. Those things directly support standup downwinding, especially on rudder boards.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 01:58:58 AM »
Hitting the hour would be 1:00:00  Cove. Simple math as PB says. You've got another 28 seconds to go. Carry-on with you thread hijacking.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »

/ Cove, is the OC fun in flat water or choppy crap? The reality is that represents 90% of my TOW.
/

Oc-1's are murder on flat water.  Great training for balance and technique, but it takes great discipline.  Not much 'fun' IMO.   

Choppy water is tough too, but less so.  A bit more sensory input to kill the boredom, but still noisy and frustrating (for me).  Excellent training though, very tough to do it smoothly.  Pro's glide away from average paddlers in any conditions - flat and chop in particular.

Ski's are more popular on the east coast (and the rest of the planet other than Hawaii) due to the conditions.  Skis are FUN upwind, sidewind and flat.  Quiet, smooth, MORE stable.  The Tahitians are great in ski - and they rule outrigger racing.  They do one man outriggers (again, more popular than ski) - but no rudder.

/
This was my second OC1 run in less than a week where I hit the hour, 1:00:28. Pretty stoked to finally get there. It has taken a full two years of paddling the one-man. Southbay finished about 40 seconds ahead of me, his second time BREAKING the hour in the past few weeks.
/

It's been a long time since I've paddle with you guys.  With that much time on the water, you should break the hour regularly.  When I started, I broke it in less than 10 runs.  And I stank to high heaven.  SB gets a pass because he has a job and a baby.  He's a better paddler than me, so 59's are about right for him (little to no training).     

Cove, you are paddling too hard.  I was too back then.  Try doing some runs breathing only through your nose.  It taught me a lot.  I set all my personal bests in oc-1 and ski by not watching the clock and refusing to chase any big, obvious glides.  Go figure.  Not by a little either, by about a minute.  When you hold back from what seems like easy money at Maliko, you learn better lines.  Dane Ward has a famous line 'Look how big that ocean is, how are you going to overpower that?  Try to keep up with her sometime.  Watch how smooth. 

Hammering is fun, but not fast.  Relax, keep the nose going downhill.  Steer the boat.  Take a lesson from Kai (Like SB did). 

Or go early on Sundays when the six man people do their oc-1 maliko.  Watch the personalities in the gulch.  The gym rats flex their muscles, boast and brag, talk loud and carry on in caffeine induced hysteria.  The good guys drive up, calmly rig and launch last.  When I was learning ski I'd launch early to watch the pack come through about half way.  The experts would float through, easy peasy. 54's, 55's, every time.  Meatheads minutes behind.  Strong enough, fit enough, years on the water, yet....   Sigh, still can't read the water.  Maybe too much coffee...

Relax.  Keep the nose going downhill.  Close your mouth if you can't relax.  Do it anyway for recovery and to learn how to breath deep.

If you do the south shore, make it as hard as possible by going perpendicular to the biggest waves.  When you huli, (learn your limits!) it's easy to remount.  In other words, stop racing everybody and slow down.  Don't get caught up in other people's workouts.  Let 'em go.  You will get faster, trust me.

Support your local shaper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal