Author Topic: Waterproof Phone Case  (Read 4717 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Waterproof Phone Case
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:54:43 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good waterproof phone case? Not looking for anything fancy. Just want something to keep my phone dry while I'm out paddling. Thanks.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waterproof Phone Case
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 09:24:35 AM »
I use a lifeproof case plus a gobag. I don't trust the lifeproof case alone, I've had it fail, and I've been through dozens of bags with clamp closures, ultimately they all fail. the gobag is the first bag I've used that reliably seals and lasts. Mine is well over a year old, maybe two (time flies) and it's been 100 percent reliable. I thought the strong magnets might screw with credit cards or the phone, but they don't. Works perfectly.

The lifeproof case adds a level of protection, and it's fine for bumps and falls, or a splash of water, but not 100 percent safe. Too easy to get a little pocket lint or sand in the charging closure. The back increases the volume of the speakers, or maybe just focuses it or moves the frequency peak to a level my ears work better with. Whatever, I can put the phone and bag in a shoulder pocket and hear music quite well without headphones.

I use my phone in the water almost every day, so finding this gobag thing has been a big deal. Would have saved me a bunch of money if I'd found it sooner.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 09:55:30 AM »
This spring I bought a waterproof Punk Case for my IPhone 5s and chipped one of the edges within 2 months.  The case was nice and watertight when I took it in the ocean a few times.  I would recommend this case for light duty water use, and it is a good value.  Very lightweight and slim, but not heavy duty.

I replaced that with an Otterbox waterproof case and it felt a little bit sturdier and has been watertight when taken in the ocean.  This one feels a little sturdier than the Punk Case and more durable, and recommended.

Both of these cases were good values because my phone is now an older model.  I got both of them for $20-$25 each, marked down from around $60-$80.

I always worry about the seals though, because I open them everyday to charge the phone.  So I like the idea of adding a waterproof bag on top for serious water days.  Light paddling days, I feel worry free for a quick dunk with my current Otterbox case.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »
I'm with Pono on this one.  Lifeproof case is on my phone all the time but I don't trust the little closure on the charging port--plus, it'll sink like a stone if I drop it.

I put it on one of these around my neck and wear it under my shirt:    https://www.rei.com/product/850475/seattle-sports-e-merse-original-case  Only modification I've made is I've tied a knot around the pop-off safety release so I don't lose it--probably not a feature to disable if I was running rivers or around submerged branches, but not a danger I need to worry about on the ocean.  You can operate all buttons and touch screen while it's in there (I just turn off the security code so I can avoid that step on the water).

I use this set up just about every day.  Recently replaced the dry bag even though I probably didn't have to.  Was starting to show signs of wear and get a little funky but lasted almost two years.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
Here's my go-to pouch...
http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=TPU+Guide+Waterproof+Case+for+iPhones+and+Smart+Phones+&o1=0&o2=0&o3=358-19
Zip-lock, roll-top, and velcro all in one. So far so good!

When needing some music, I use this one instead...
https://www.drycase.com/product/DC-13.html
I like their "Vacuum Seal" feature for reassurance.
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 01:48:16 PM »
I like both of those cases 2Rivers, they worked well for a while, best I found prior to the silly GoBag magnetic one. Which turns out to be unaccountably bulletproof and totally reliable. I like everything SeaToSummit makes, well thought out, rugged, compact. I can't believe the GoBag is that much better, or even that it works at all. But it is, and it does.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 02:24:12 PM »
My wife and I use the lifeproofs along with the lifevests..cute little orange floaties that the phone pops into.  She has a 6, I still have the 5.  She has never had a problem with hers and takes it out for everything except for when we pathetically attempt to surf.  I have beat the hell out of my case, so I don't trust it right now.  However, my wife has submerged hers in the lifeproof many times without issue.  And of course to make it awesome, we've had friends that have had nothing but trouble with their lifeproof cases.  So, I guess no one knows!
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 04:16:53 PM »
I have tried many phone bags and had some fail. My favorite is the gooper. Can also be bought from epic surfski. It uses rare earth magnets to close itself automatically. It is impossible to not seal properly. Most other designs are prone to human error or rely on a precarious zip lock seal.

http://www.gogooper.com/products

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 04:21:32 PM »
Yup. Looks the same as the GoBag only bigger. Who'da thunk it. I bought the thing in a bag emergency, fully expected it to leak so I stuffed it with tissues. Not a drop.
Ever. Weird. I don't understand why, looks like a stupid idea to me.

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:09:20 PM »
Interesting. Gooper is started in 2011 and made in israel. Gobag started in 2014 and according to their website " the world's only magnetic self-sealing waterproof dry bag". They look identical. Something fishy is going on...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 08:53:19 PM »
Thanks guys, for all the responses. Decided to go with the GoBag, as suggested by Pono Bill. Just ordered it from Amazon. Thanks again.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 02:18:12 AM »
I'm with Bulky and Pono on this too. I have lost a bunch of phones both in a soft waterproof case like the GoBag, and in the hard ones like LifeProof, so I ALWAYS double bag. Ie use the Lifeproof case inside a GoBag type soft waterproof case.. Never had a problem when I use two.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 04:53:42 AM »
I killed an iPhone with a waterproof Otter Box. I wouldn't use one of those again.

I'm always looking for a better bag, so I'm going to check out some of these. Lately my phone has been overheating in the bag, which I carry strapped to my waterpack. (This might be a simple cure, like turning the bag around so the transparent side is facing me and not the sun!)
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 07:14:14 AM »
Splashing some water on the case on those warmer days, helps keep the phone cooler.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal