Author Topic: freshly epoxied board and fresh EVA traction pad, prep steps?  (Read 3412 times)

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
freshly epoxied board and fresh EVA traction pad, prep steps?
« on: August 26, 2016, 07:47:23 AM »
Aloha Zoners,
I am just finishing a new board and am getting ready to apply the traction.

The 'gloss' surface is Resin Research epoxy treated with Additive F, not yet sanded.

My plan was to sand the deck area to 220 or so, dust off w/ clean compressed air, wipe that down with a rag and acetone as a final 'degreaser' step and then apply the pad.

Does this sound good as a procedure or ???

Thanks!

http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: freshly epoxied board and fresh EVA traction pad, prep steps?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »
Skip the acetone. If you're using a typical 3M sticky-back EVA pad it just doesn't need it. The adhesive continues to increase its bond with time. As long as you haven't waxed the thing or had mold release on it you don't need to degrease. Fingerprints don't matter.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »
Personally I would sand to a minimum of 400 give it a wash with water under the hose let it dry do a quick wipe with dna to make sure you have no residue left and stick it down then just leave it somewhere warm for 24h to cure

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »
Thanks gentlemen!

The board has never been mold-released or PVA'ed....but the resin was mixed with a double-shot of Add F.

The top of my Add F container appears a bit 'waxy' so I did not want my board to act just like the release paper (by means of lack of prep work) once i had gone through the work of doing the deck pad.

I had totally forgotten about the 24hr waiting period after applying traction before SUP use.

Be safe, have fun. -J

crazyeddy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »
Personally I would sand to a minimum of 400 give it a wash with water under the hose let it dry do a quick wipe with dna to make sure you have no residue left and stick it down then just leave it somewhere warm for 24h to cure

This is basically how I have done it.  My only difference is just using a spray bottle instead of a hose.  I have also applied the pad after I took a few laps around the board with a wool bonnet so I was sure the gloss still popped right up to the pad.  I left the majority area under the pad at 400 though.  No delam issues to date.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 05:40:59 PM »
CE-That is nice and shiny!
I have yet to take a board to the 'bonnet' level.
It's on my short list to learn to sand better.
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 10:40:44 PM »
Thanks gentlemen!

The board has never been mold-released or PVA'ed....but the resin was mixed with a double-shot of Add F.

The top of my Add F container appears a bit 'waxy' so I did not want my board to act just like the release paper (by means of lack of prep work) once i had gone through the work of doing the deck pad.

I had totally forgotten about the 24hr waiting period after applying traction before SUP use.

Add F does contain wax, it is a surfacing agent that rises to the top to help cure the outside surface of resin by shielding it from the air, once you have sanded the shiney surface away it will have gone. If your going to polish atall  you need to go to 1200 minimum. For a sanded finish I normally stop and 6-800 and finish with a scotch pad.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »
Thanks everyone, got the pads on today.

-Sanded, wiped with DNA (dusty garage)
-Cut pad to length and split down the middle with my big glassing scissors after scoring the release liner with a razor blade as a guide.
-Cut starboard outside of pad with a scissors following the outline template
-Marked port outside with a Sharpie marker on the foam using starboard pad as a template and cut just inside of that with scissors
-dusted again (dusty garage, using board as workbench)
-marked the deck w/pencil to maintain pad offset from the center line
-cut a 3/4" strip of release paper off one pad along the long straight edge
-tacked it down to the pencil marks
-peeled more liner , maybe 3" at a time, and slowly tacked the pad from middle to rail
-repeated install sequence on second piece
-walked around board, generally pleased with results, peeling off stubborn slivers of release paper along the cut edges
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »
Nice one. I normally go over the pad with one of those metal rollers you use for chopped strand Matt to just get the air bubbles out and pin prick any stubborn ones. I allso just run some 60 grit around the edge of the pad to round the edge.

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:52:56 PM »
Looks great, you can never go wrong with extra prep work to ensure yoy get a solid bond.  8)
@rf.boardworks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal