Author Topic: SanO SUP Discrimination  (Read 9867 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SanO SUP Discrimination
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2016, 09:07:01 PM »
Despite all the bullshit about board size, blah, blah its just the paddle that makes the difference. Which makes the whole issue indefensible.

I think it would be funny to see someone come paddling out lying prone on a regular suefboard using a two foot paddle.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
One thing the Coast Guard did get right in its regulations is to view SUPs (which as PB said, is determined by the paddle, not the board) as exactly the same as surfboards in the surf zone.  They don't become something different (vessels) until they're beyond it.  So prone surfers don't have that argument, and as everyone is pointing out, they don't have the board size argument, either.

I agree the disability argument sounds good.  I was just reading how it's come up in various cities lately with public "bike share" programs.  Critics are arguing successfully that the programs are illegal when they don't offer bikes operable by people with disabilities, the same as if a city had buses that didn't accommodate wheelchair users.  Cities lose when they try to argue, "Those people who can't ride standard bikes can take the bus".  So cities are furnishing various types of bikes usable by people with various disabilities, and they're popular. "Separate but equal" is no longer a valid stance.

It's not going to look good legally for a jurisdiction to say they're excluding someone from their favorite public surf spot because they won't allow them to use a paddle to compensate for not being able to pop up due to bad knees caused by old age or disability.  That's especially so when they may be more skilled surfers and on smaller boards than people who are allowed access without question.  And once those people are allowed to use paddles, it's going to be hard to argue that other people cannot.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:27:48 PM by pdxmike »

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 10:14:15 PM »
I find it interesting that more people don't just ignore the lifeguards. I'm not saying that the sups should invade Old Man's but if we are north of the "permitted" zone,without a proner within 50yds or more,why not just stay there?As a single it may be difficult but if there are half dozen or more what can they do? The more sup'ers "rebel" the more others will join the movement  and the lifeguards really have no way to enforce the rule. Surfing there the last couple of weeks,I was never in a hurry to move south and sometimes just stayed where I was. So did others.No one said anything to me.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 10:20:37 PM »
"It's not going to look good legally for a jurisdiction to say they're excluding someone from their favorite public surf spot because they won't allow them to use a paddle to compensate for not being able to pop up due to bad knees caused by old age or disability.........And once those people are allowed to use paddles, it's going to be hard to argue that other people cannot."

You're welcome....I'm still surprised no one has pursued that angle.  I thought of that a couple years ago and I'm not that bright.

Someone who is friends with Chris or Paul or one of the other disabled people who surf Dogpatch just need to convince them to surf Old Mans or the Point on their wave ski until they're whistled out of the water by the guards. 

Then, voila....legal standing for a lawsuit.

Why didn't I start the battle myself?  Because I'm one of the fortunate few who can pull my car up to the break at Church or surf DMJ's whenever I want.  I'm not going to expend life energy leading the Dogpatch fight--probably with only lip service support behind--when I have other (arguably better) surfing options.  I'm certainly aggravated by the unfairness at Patch, but if I didn't have the "USMC surf access card" I'd be raging pissed.  No one else with more vested interest seems to care enough to do something about it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:43:29 PM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2016, 07:22:38 AM »

[/quote]

No one else with more vested interest seems to care enough to do something about it.
[/quote]

sup-surfchick tried and was getting things moving then when it came time to get people involved nobody wanted to jump in at the fear that it'd piss up the higher ups and then there'd be no more SUPPing period at Sano. So it was one of those "let's not rock the boat situations. I'm doubtful that things will change anytime soon. As mentioned previously, maybe when the lease is re negotiated things can be worked out. By then no doubt some of the aging club members will be supping and the attitude will change.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:25:29 AM by supsurf-tw »
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
"...sup-surfchick tried and was getting things moving then when it came time to get people involved nobody wanted to jump in at the fear that it'd piss off the higher ups and then there'd be no more SUPPing period at Sano. So it was one of those "let's not rock the boat situations..."

I remember when she did that....kudos to her for trying.  The lack of help she received is exactly why I don't bother...

That's why I think an ADA lawsuit would be the way to go...No need for a massive groundswell of support; just one or two pissed off paraplegics or combat veterans being denied their rights....Would play well in the OC Register.

Once the State Parks failed to show real evidence of a "safety" issue, and then with comparisons to Hawaii--where things seem to get worked out without special interest surf groups commandeering the nanny state--I think the restrictions would implode quickly.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »
"...sup-surfchick tried and was getting things moving then when it came time to get people involved nobody wanted to jump in at the fear that it'd piss off the higher ups and then there'd be no more SUPPing period at Sano. So it was one of those "let's not rock the boat situations..."

I remember when she did that....kudos to her for trying.  The lack of help she received is exactly why I don't bother...

That's why I think an ADA lawsuit would be the way to go...No need for a massive groundswell of support; just one or two pissed off paraplegics or combat veterans being denied their rights....Would play well in the OC Register.

Once the State Parks failed to show real evidence of a "safety" issue, and then with comparisons to Hawaii--where things seem to get worked out without special interest surf groups commandeering the nanny state--I think the restrictions would implode quickly.
I like it. We get one of our handicapped friends down there to paddle out at Old Mand on his buttboard and go from there.....
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal