Author Topic: SanO SUP Discrimination  (Read 9866 times)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SanO SUP Discrimination
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 02:24:22 PM »
Just had it out today with the guard and his supervisor for moving guys over even when no proners were in the area. Total BS.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 06:24:26 PM »
Nice wave Beasho!

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 09:22:50 PM »
Just had it out today with the guard and his supervisor for moving guys over even when no proners were in the area. Total BS.

What were they hanging their hats on this time and what did you tell them Tom?
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 10:05:24 PM »
I must be missing something.  I don't see their response as discriminatory.  They apologized for taking time to respond to your request; they discussed your request with multiple entities and concluded that their business (Surfline is not a government entity) is better served aiming the camera at Old Man's -- but still agreed to try to swing the camera a little further south for you.  Where's the beef?

Mastman, nobody really gives a shit about where SurfLies points their camera, it's confining SUP surfers to Dogpatch that's an issue. there's no reason for it other than people who don't own a resource refusing to share it. It's not the San-O Surf club's beach, or the lifeguards, or the county commissioners. It belongs to the state and the taxpayers who support it. In other words, you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 10:52:37 PM »
Technically, it belong to the US dept of the Navy. They lease it to the State of California. The lease is up in 2021, and no one is sure if the Navy will renew it? We do have some pretty high ranking Marines SUP'rs here on the zone. I won't mention any names other than to say they are total cheapskates  ::)

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26069
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:05:22 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 11:45:32 PM »
Then let's get all the SUP folks to pitch in and bid for the lease in 2021.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 01:45:20 AM »
Being a turd is not reserved for prone surfers.  Remember that and be the surfer you'd like to surf next to.

Absolute truth and wisdom right here ^^^^

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »

What were they hanging their hats on this time and what did you tell them Tom?
Oh jeez it was laughable the dialogue. "We're here to protect. We need to look out for safety." The typical BS..........
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 08:03:18 AM »
Technically, it belong to the US dept of the Navy. They lease it to the State of California. The lease is up in 2021, and no one is sure if the Navy will renew it? We do have some pretty high ranking Marines SUP'rs here on the zone. I won't mention any names other than to say they are total cheapskates  ::)

Hmmm. I might have to see about getting my ID. I was offered reserve status years ago for some recruiting work I did and never took them up on it. Serial number B115079. Geez, that popped right into my mind but I can't remember my phone number.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 02:31:26 PM »

You dumpster dive (and SAVE!) a few boards from the landfill, and the world calls you a cheapskate!

Initial negotiations regarding that 2021 lease expiration have already been held.  I've heard that the $1 token amount may not fly any more as legislation passed since 1971 requires market value based fair use compensation for the use of a federal area. 

"Yes sir, our 2022 annual passes are now available.  Are you paying cash, or would you like us to put the $9,500 on your credit card?"

Obviously, with politicians, lawyers, and a surfing constituency involved, these things will eventually get worked out, probably in the surfers' favor.  SoCal would go nuts if the Trestles/SanO complex were shut off to the public.

I do bristle when I am being subjected to thinly veiled "safety rules" by an organization that leases land from my employer, and would love to see restrictions written into a new lease forbidding arbitrary denial of SUPs, especially since SUPs are in some cases used by injured veterans who can't prone surf anymore, and ALSO civilian paraplegics who wave ski there.  Perhaps the legal angle is fair use access for the disabled.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 02:44:16 PM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 05:08:03 PM »

You dumpster dive (and SAVE!) a few boards from the landfill, and the world calls you a cheapskate!

Initial negotiations regarding that 2021 lease expiration have already been held.  I've heard that the $1 token amount may not fly any more as legislation passed since 1971 requires market value based fair use compensation for the use of a federal area. 

"Yes sir, our 2022 annual passes are now available.  Are you paying cash, or would you like us to put the $9,500 on your credit card?"

Obviously, with politicians, lawyers, and a surfing constituency involved, these things will eventually get worked out, probably in the surfers' favor.  SoCal would go nuts if the Trestles/SanO complex were shut off to the public.

I do bristle when I am being subjected to thinly veiled "safety rules" by an organization that leases land from my employer, and would love to see restrictions written into a new lease forbidding arbitrary denial of SUPs, especially since SUPs are in some cases used by injured veterans who can't prone surf anymore, and ALSO civilian paraplegics who wave ski there.  Perhaps the legal angle is fair use access for the disabled.
Good info. As long as the Sano surf club has anything to do with it SUP won't be given any more space. If the "rent" rises to the State I'm sure we'll see some higher yearly pass and day use fees. The question will be how bad do you want it? The good news it may thin out the crowds if that were to happen.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 06:33:59 PM »
If they weren't such a pack of goons the "surf club" would realize they need all the friends they can get. You never know who you're pissing off. The equal access for disabled thing has legs (no pun intended).

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 07:08:51 PM »
Ive mentioned this before, but what if someone comes SUPing on Munoz Super Glide (which is not a SUP board) and a guy the size of Shaquille O'Neal comes prone surfing on a Naish Nalu (which IS a SUP board) ?  What if one guy comes SUPing on a 7'4 Rogue and another comes prone surfing on the very same board? What if Jesus comes out with no board at all but has a paddle?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 07:33:34 PM »
Despite all the bullshit about board size, blah, blah its just the paddle that makes the difference. Which makes the whole issue indefensible.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 08:50:07 PM »
Ive mentioned this before, but what if someone comes SUPing on Munoz Super Glide (which is not a SUP board) and a guy the size of Shaquille O'Neal comes prone surfing on a Naish Nalu (which IS a SUP board) ?  What if one guy comes SUPing on a 7'4 Rogue and another comes prone surfing on the very same board? What if Jesus comes out with no board at all but has a paddle?
There are actually a number of bigger guys that prone surf at Old Mans (and DoHo) on big SUPs. One day I was paddling from Dog Patch up to Church and took a short cut right through the outside break at Old Mans. Just stoking it hard. There's a prone dude sitting outside on a big SUP. As I paddled past him I asked, "aren't you missing something?" ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal