Author Topic: SanO SUP Discrimination  (Read 9865 times)

SanCKid

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SanO SUP Discrimination
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »
I sent a request to Surfline asking to have the SanO Old Man’s camera scan a little south to Dog Patch or if possible a little south of Dog Patch, and this is the response I received.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We have discussed with the San-O Surf Club, lifeguards, and forecasters and we have concluded that this area is not the optimum view for our cameras. I will see if we can swing it at least some distance South for you. I was told this area is mainly SUP and kayak surfing. Regardless, we hope you are still able to enjoy the Know Before You Go Experience!

Sure glad I didn’t disclose I was a SUP Surfer!

It’s hard to believe Pro SUP Surfers, especially ones living in South Orange County haven’t made a stand putting a stop to SUP Surfing discrimination @ SanO and Doheney!  I’ve spoken to a few of them and it’s gone nowhere, what are they afraid of?
12'6" Hovie Pursuit
8'10" Supsports WD
8'8" Naish Hokua X32 LE
9’ Naish Hokua GT

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SanO SUP Discrimination
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »
Most if not all pro SUP surfers are also prone surfers so I think at this point, most just except that it does with the territory and don't feel it's worth the fight.  Just my personal speculation.   

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 11:53:27 AM »
Also figure that if a certain area doesn't allow SUPs, and there's a good swell they want to hit they'll just prone surf.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
Just go on the cam at Old Mans. However that looks, the SUP area of Dogpatch will be about 80% worse.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »
Just go on the cam at Old Mans. However that looks, the SUP area of Dogpatch will be about 80% worse.

Best statement on DP condition .... ever!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »
This.

Next erosional storm event will have us all parking at SONGS or at Carl's Jr.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:45:48 PM »
I sent a request to Surfline asking to have the SanO Old Man’s camera scan a little south to Dog Patch or if possible a little south of Dog Patch, and this is the response I received.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We have discussed with the San-O Surf Club, lifeguards, and forecasters and we have concluded that this area is not the optimum view for our cameras. I will see if we can swing it at least some distance South for you. I was told this area is mainly SUP and kayak surfing. Regardless, we hope you are still able to enjoy the Know Before You Go Experience!

Sure glad I didn’t disclose I was a SUP Surfer!

It’s hard to believe Pro SUP Surfers, especially ones living in South Orange County haven’t made a stand putting a stop to SUP Surfing discrimination @ SanO and Doheney!  I’ve spoken to a few of them and it’s gone nowhere, what are they afraid of?

If Dog Patch becomes part of the camera view of SurfLine, it will get even more crowded.  You don't really want that do you?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »
If Dog Patch becomes part of the camera view of SurfLine, it will get even more crowded.  You don't really want that do you?

It might get less crowded when people see how crappy the surf is.   ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »
Discriminatory policies are very hard to maintain in the face of determined opposition. It takes money, power, or determination to reverse that kind of crap. Any one of the three will do, but whining doesn't do much, and neither does saying "why don't the XXX do something about it". Someone (you?) would have to make it their hobby to yank the pants down of the people defending that bullshit. Its not much fun, and there's not much of a reward at the end, but if it chaps your ass, then read up on the regulations, figure out who is in charge (really in charge) and go make the case to change it. It wouldn't be hard to make the case, the Coast Guard has clarified that the vessel issue does not extend to the surf zone and should not be used as a justification for exclusion. They're just winging it, keeping SUPs out of the STATE beach--the beach you all pay for, and the beach you all pay the same fees to use.

Making the case probably won't change things, so that's when you become a persistent pain in the ass, recruiting other people, going to meetings, raising the issue, gaining media attention, uncovering bias in the the way lifeguards enforce, making it a political liability, being a general pain in the ass until you get your way.

I'd probably do an end run, and sue lifeguards personally. When they find out they have to hire their own lawyer and it will cost them $50K to fight, they'd probably put the bullhorns down.

If it's worth it, do it, if not, enjoy Dogpatch.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 07:08:15 AM »
Discriminatory policies are very hard to maintain in the face of determined opposition. It takes money, power, or determination to reverse that kind of crap. Any one of the three will do, but whining doesn't do much, and neither does saying "why don't the XXX do something about it". Someone (you?) would have to make it their hobby to yank the pants down of the people defending that bullshit. Its not much fun, and there's not much of a reward at the end, but if it chaps your ass, then read up on the regulations, figure out who is in charge (really in charge) and go make the case to change it. It wouldn't be hard to make the case, the Coast Guard has clarified that the vessel issue does not extend to the surf zone and should not be used as a justification for exclusion. They're just winging it, keeping SUPs out of the STATE beach--the beach you all pay for, and the beach you all pay the same fees to use.

Making the case probably won't change things, so that's when you become a persistent pain in the ass, recruiting other people, going to meetings, raising the issue, gaining media attention, uncovering bias in the the way lifeguards enforce, making it a political liability, being a general pain in the ass until you get your way.

I'd probably do an end run, and sue lifeguards personally. When they find out they have to hire their own lawyer and it will cost them $50K to fight, they'd probably put the bullhorns down.

If it's worth it, do it, if not, enjoy Dogpatch.
Been there done that. It started getting legs then people decided not to rock the boat and our "movement" lost whatever momentum it had.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »
I must be missing something.  I don't see their response as discriminatory.  They apologized for taking time to respond to your request; they discussed your request with multiple entities and concluded that their business (Surfline is not a government entity) is better served aiming the camera at Old Man's -- but still agreed to try to swing the camera a little further south for you.  Where's the beef?
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
This may sound weird but I think the SUP hate has made me stronger. 

When I started I remember people telling me to F' off from a large crowd at one of my local beaches.  It definitely pisses you off at the time but then you break out, find your own spot develop and come back stronger than ever.  Nothing like out performance to eventually show them who's boss. 

Here is one of my favorite Stink Eye shots.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:25:44 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
Then there was this day.  This was middle peak at Santa Cruz.  It was a legit big day, aka 10 ft @ 18 seconds, I was sitting on the outside with 4 guys.  Just 4 people willing to sit way outside with big wave guns.  2 of them were Brazilians and the vibe was good, in fact cordial even though I was the only one on a SUP.

Then there were 25+ people further inside trying to catch the residual 2nd, 3rd and 4th reforms.

At the tail end of this wave some guy tells me to 'Get the f'-- out of here.'  Classic and Funny coming from some mental midget with small stones.  It was probably the guy in the lower left  ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:29:23 AM by Beasho »

PJBrendel

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »
That's a great picture.
I can't believe how some of these prone A--holes think they own the ocean.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 01:04:18 PM »
Being a turd is not reserved for prone surfers.  Remember that and be the surfer you'd like to surf next to.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal