Author Topic: Jacko on the Hood.  (Read 6420 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jacko on the Hood.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 04:08:05 PM »
Fun having all you guys around. I had no idea you guys were in town so long or we would have had you over for a barbeque. I asked one of the ladies in your crew (probably Angela) if you'd done a downwinder and she said "we've been here three weeks". She didn't add ", dipshit." as I would have, but I got the message.

Glad you guys had fun. It's a hell of a town.

It was actually the Columbia River DJ. I know you know that, but I hadda say it.

That low camera and wide angle lens makes the paddling look wimpy at the same time it makes the swell look like ripples. At least I think so. I need to do a comparison shoot to see if that's really true, but I know in sections shot with my 360 cam that I believe I was paddling hard and well it looks like I'm playing pattycake.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:17:57 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 05:06:49 PM »
''It was actually the Columbia River DJ. I know you know that, but I hadda say it. ''

Thanks Bill... actually I didn't.. Is Hood river a place and not a river or is the Hood river somewhere else..  ???

Or is it Mount Hood and the Columbia River as separate places..  :-\

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 05:15:03 PM »
Hood River is the town, and a little river that runs down from Mt. Hood--mostly rocks, rapids and waterfalls. It flows into the Columbia right at the town, so the little town of Hood River is on BOTH the Hood and Columbia rivers. The Columbia is a huge river, fed by dozens of large rivers and hundreds of small ones.  From Wikipedia:

The Columbia River is the largest river in the Pacific Northwest region of North America.[9] The river rises in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia, Canada. It flows northwest and then south into the US state of Washington, then turns west to form most of the border between Washington and the state of Oregon before emptying into the Pacific Ocean. The river is 1,243 miles (2,000 km) long, and its largest tributary is the Snake River. Its drainage basin is roughly the size of France and extends into seven US states and a Canadian province.

By volume, the Columbia is the fourth-largest river in the United States; it has the greatest flow of any North American river draining into the Pacific. The river's heavy flow and relatively steep gradient gives it tremendous potential for the generation of electricity. The 14 hydroelectric dams on the Columbia's main stem and many more on its tributaries produce more than 44% of total U.S. hydroelectric generation[10] – much more hydroelectric power than those of any other North American river.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »
Hood River is the town, and a little river that runs down from Mt. Hood--mostly rocks, rapids and waterfalls. It flows into the Columbia right at the town, so the little town of Hood River is on BOTH the Hood and Columbia rivers. The Columbia is a huge river, fed by dozens of large rivers and hundreds of small ones.  From Wikipedia:

The Columbia River is the largest river in the Pacific Northwest region of North America.[9] The river rises in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia, Canada. It flows northwest and then south into the US state of Washington, then turns west to form most of the border between Washington and the state of Oregon before emptying into the Pacific Ocean. The river is 1,243 miles (2,000 km) long, and its largest tributary is the Snake River. Its drainage basin is roughly the size of France and extends into seven US states and a Canadian province.

By volume, the Columbia is the fourth-largest river in the United States; it has the greatest flow of any North American river draining into the Pacific. The river's heavy flow and relatively steep gradient gives it tremendous potential for the generation of electricity. The 14 hydroelectric dams on the Columbia's main stem and many more on its tributaries produce more than 44% of total U.S. hydroelectric generation[10] – much more hydroelectric power than those of any other North American river.

Thanks Bill..

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 07:23:42 PM »
Hood River is the town, and a little river that runs down from Mt. Hood--mostly rocks, rapids and waterfalls. It flows into the Columbia right at the town, so the little town of Hood River is on BOTH the Hood and Columbia rivers. The Columbia is a huge river, fed by dozens of large rivers and hundreds of small ones.
Dang!!!  5 years of driving up there for totally crappy downwinders explained away in one short answer. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:28:34 PM by pdxmike »

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »
Paul Jackson flying on the Hood River..

http://youtu.be/_ZPV6n0OdzU

Amazing glides! He makes surfing that pin tailed board look so easy. Personally, I find surfing my similar Ace very difficult. I watched the video on the board - the Storm. Maybe the sharper rails on the back half of the board make it easier to surf it. Or more likely, I'm not even on the same planet as Jacko when it comes to skill. But there's no question that this type of shape goes like stink downwind.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »
Paul is small.. light.. incredably fit and extremely talented.. He constantly finishes within the top 10 in world class events against the best there is.. and makes surfing a pintail dugout look much easier than it actually is.. Paul (Jacko) has been a Naish team rider and a Fanatic team rider and played a huge part in the Fanatic board designs over recent years.. It will be interesting to see how his own sup brand goes in the future against the other big brands out there.. From what I've seen in pics and vids they look amazing.. One of my friends has just become a team rider and I looking forward to checking out his new boards when he gets them..

supjacko

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 04:04:17 PM »
Paul Jackson flying on the Hood River..

http://youtu.be/_ZPV6n0OdzU

Amazing glides! He makes surfing that pin tailed board look so easy. Personally, I find surfing my similar Ace very difficult. I watched the video on the board - the Storm. Maybe the sharper rails on the back half of the board make it easier to surf it. Or more likely, I'm not even on the same planet as Jacko when it comes to skill. But there's no question that this type of shape goes like stink downwind.

This board feels really good off the tail and surfing it is pretty easy, one of the biggest tips i give when riding it is to just let it go!! The board will do 90% of the work. Heaps of people tryed this board while i was in the hood and all were much faster when they got on it manily due to how easy it is. I sit around 75kg and this board is pretty easy for me but i have some 90kg mates who swear by it and cant wait until their ones arrive. I'm sure one day soon we will find a way to get these into the US and then everyone can give them a try.

Cheers Jacko

supjacko

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »
Fun having all you guys around. I had no idea you guys were in town so long or we would have had you over for a barbeque. I asked one of the ladies in your crew (probably Angela) if you'd done a downwinder and she said "we've been here three weeks". She didn't add ", dipshit." as I would have, but I got the message.

Glad you guys had fun. It's a hell of a town.

It was actually the Columbia River DJ. I know you know that, but I hadda say it.

That low camera and wide angle lens makes the paddling look wimpy at the same time it makes the swell look like ripples. At least I think so. I need to do a comparison shoot to see if that's really true, but I know in sections shot with my 360 cam that I believe I was paddling hard and well it looks like I'm playing pattycake.

Haha always next year for a bbq as I'm pretty sure this is on our must do list every year and i can see us doing a month of development on new boards over there.  Ang is hooked on the place and keeps looking to how we can spend a little longer with out going broke!!lol

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
I'm sure one day soon we will find a way to get these into the US and then everyone can give them a try.

Cheers Jacko

And in Canada.......
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »
Jacko, how wide is your board in the Hood River video?

supjacko

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 09:29:13 PM »
Jacko, how wide is your board in the Hood River video?

This board is 24 wide. But we make them in 24, 25, 26 and 28

melini

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »
You passed us many times on your pretty, big-green-nosed board.  I'm glad to find out what it was and see a close-up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal