Author Topic: Gortex bubbler....  (Read 2547 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Gortex bubbler....
« on: August 23, 2016, 05:03:01 AM »
A friend set her board out in the Sun.. Gortex valve started to bubble.  It was a few turns shy of being tight.  The bad news: she does not know the baseline weight of the board. (I don't remember brand)   So, what's next...?  Do you automatically put a drain hole in the bottom and let it sit a week.. or paddle on?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Gortex bubbler....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 05:32:56 AM »
That's a good question.

It would take a considerable amount of water to affect the weight of the board. One pound of water is equal to 15.34 ounces.

It's possible that not much water got in past the threads. It all depends on how long the board has been sucking it in.

The foam inside is like a sponge. I can't imagine that the water would drain out very easily.

Hopefully someone here has had some experience with this sort of thing. It would be good to know what to do when/if it ever happens. I would hate to get water inside one of my boards. Not just for the added weight but also because of what the water might do to the foam over time.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:48:02 AM »
very carefully take the gore tex plug out, roll up a pice of kitchen paper and push it in the vent hole you will soon know if there is much water in there by how fast the paper gets wet.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:12:31 AM »
UK's suggestion of sticking a paper towel in the open vent hole is also a great technique for wicking out the water.  Another way to get a visual on it is to tape a piece of clear plastic wrap over the open vent hole. If it's wet inside you will see the condensation.  This should be done during rising temperatures.

Sometimes when a board is gassing out in the heat, if there is water in the vent recess, it will appear as if water is coming out when in fact its just the same water circulating in the recess.

Since the water entry is at the vent, you can get a relative idea of how much simply by checking the balance at the handle.  For instance if the board was perfectly balanced before but is now nose heavy, then you know there is some water in there.  Accordingly, once it is back to being balanced, it should be relatively dry.  (This does not work for a board that's been wet for a long time, since the water will tend migrate throughout the board.)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 06:41:42 AM »
Great guys - thanks for sharing your knowledge.  I just never had the 'need to know'. I keep an old shipping scale in the container where I keep boards.  I got rid of the Lead Sleds, most everything is <24lbs.  Maybe I'll write it on the board with a marker to keep a baseline.  Cheers.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »
Apparently bubbling doesnt mean much.
But a wet plug hole which you can detect easily enough with paper towel as mentioned does!

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Apparently bubbling doesnt mean much.
But a wet plug hole which you can detect easily enough with paper towel as mentioned does!

I always thought for sure if you see bubbles then the board definitely had a leak and took on water. Am I missing something?
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 12:31:08 PM »
If there is standing water in the vent recess and the board is in the sun, sometimes it will look like water is bubbling out when in fact its just the air bubbles coming through the standing water. 

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »
Thanks Bean, I was more speaking in General, let's say near a fin box or a bad ding/paddle chip, near what appears to be a crack or fracture... etc...
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »
I assumed TL was talking vents only.  But yea, if you see water bubbling up from anywhere but a wet vent, you've got a leak for sure.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »
Yeah Gortex vents to be precise.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal