Author Topic: Technique in Tight Choppy Conditions on Race Board  (Read 3192 times)

mcwop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Technique in Tight Choppy Conditions on Race Board
« on: August 22, 2016, 09:13:55 AM »
Noob to the forum. Was searching various topics, but nothing quite hot the mark. Went out to train yesterday in tight choppy conditions, and got manhandled. Waves were  about 14" and very tightly spaced - about 12-14" apart. I was on a board more for flat water (12-6 by 26 Lahui Kai). Wind was also blowing 15-20.

My experience - done one race and about 70 hours total time on my board.

Had a lot of trouble keeping stroke technique into waves, and when waves hit me from the side I took a lot of dunks. Possibly somewhat the board, but I don't want to just blame that.

What are some tips-  especially when taking waves on the side in fast succession. This is a common condition on the Chesapeake. Is it just a lot more time in these conditions?

With that said I do have a board on the way for these types of conditions.

Thanks in advance.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Re: Technique in Tight Choppy Conditions on Race Board
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:18:32 AM »
It takes a long time to get your "sea legs," so my suggestion is simply to practice in those conditions as much as possible. Also, get used to trusting your paddle as a "crutch". It's a lot easier to balance on three legs than two, and if you're firm about planting and leaning on your paddle during the stroke, it will be like a third leg. Kind of like riding a bicycle, it easier to balance when you're going fast than when you're barely going and just teetering in place.

Also, you may need to move around on the board more than you do in flat water. Depending on the board design, standing slightly further back can help with going upwind. Going downwind requires the most footwork because you have to be in your normal standing position to pick up a "glide", but in larger chop you may have to move back towards the tail as you catch the glide so that the board can accelerate without the nose submarining. Again, lots of practice and fiddling around is required.

One drill that I sometimes do for rough water race practice is paddling in a big square. I'll go a set distance, then make a 90 degree turn, and repeat until I've practiced with the wind at each side, behind me, and in my face.

Lahui Kai boards are supposed to be pretty decent in chop, so once you get the hang of it you'll be good.

PS- When I lived on Chesapeake Bay I was exclusively a windsurfer. I'd still recommend windsurfing or kiteboarding as a lot more fun than sup when it's windy and choppy.   
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
It's definitely good to practice your balance and work to get better dealing with straight on side chop. If you get fed up with the side chop on a given paddle, also consider changing your route a bit so that you are not taking chop or strong tides straight from the side. Moving so that you come at the chop with a little angle may be worth the extra work and distance involved.

Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
Noob to the forum. Was searching various topics, but nothing quite hot the mark. Went out to train yesterday in tight choppy conditions, and got manhandled. Waves were  about 14" and very tightly spaced - about 12-14" apart. I was on a board more for flat water (12-6 by 26 Lahui Kai). Wind was also blowing 15-20.

Just curious how long you've had your Luhui Kai and how you like it? I just bought the exact same board (Lahui Kai 12' 6" x 26" Team Race). I'm finding that the more I paddle it, the more I like it.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

mcwop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 12:07:04 PM »

Just curious how long you've had your Luhui Kai and how you like it? I just bought the exact same board (Lahui Kai 12' 6" x 26" Team Race). I'm finding that the more I paddle it, the more I like it.
I have had my Lahui for about 5 months and like it. Does well in most conditions, and great on flatter water. Light, like the handles. In the supper tight choppy stuff it does get thrown around, and nose does bury going through waves up and downwind.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 12:12:23 PM »
What are some tips-  especially when taking waves on the side in fast succession. This is a common condition on the Chesapeake. Is it just a lot more time in these conditions?

With that said I do have a board on the way for these types of conditions.

Thanks in advance.
It is a lot more time in those conditions.  As your power balance and stamina increase - you will stay drier and go faster.  We use a Dominator and SB Touring often in those conditions.

But getting another board more suited for those conditions will make it more fun for sure.  Our Bullet 14V2 and especially M-14 go fine in that.  As well -> shifting your foot position to offset wave action and wind will also help.  Good to be aware of fore aft - and side to side balance positions - for optimal trim for the conditions.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

mcwop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 12:13:20 PM »
It is a lot more time in those conditions.  As your power balance and stamina increase - you will stay drier and go faster.  We use a Dominator and SB Touring often in those conditions.

But getting another board more suited for those conditions will make it more fun for sure.  Our Bullet 14V2 and especially M-14 go fine in that.  As well -> shifting your foot position to offset wave action and wind will also help.  Good to be aware of fore aft - and side to side balance positions - for optimal trim for the conditions.   ;)
Got a 2015 Fanatic Falcon HRS 14x29.75 should do the trick.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »
Should be more comfortable and more fun.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal