Author Topic: Another full moon paddle  (Read 4795 times)

Miss Adventure

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Another full moon paddle
« on: August 20, 2016, 08:27:21 AM »
I went on my first full moon paddle this week (we actually went two nights so one night the moon technically wasn't full). It was incredible. The water was like glass both nights! It was beautiful and almost spiritual. We tried taking pictures but couldn’t get any good ones even though the moonlight was very bright. My best pic is a screen shot of my Navionics track. LOL We used the app to locate the oyster bed that we found on a previous trip. We checked the tide with the app and so we knew the tide would be higher than last time and it wouldn’t be exposed. The second night we didn't get to stay out as long...thank goodness Navionics includes the weather forecast otherwise we would have gotten caught in a storm!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:31:15 AM by Miss Adventure »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Another full moon paddle
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
I'll have to agree with you. Moonlight paddles are great especially when there is no wind. On a freshwater lake; the water is like glass, the tree frogs are singing, the bull frogs on the bank are croaking and the reflection of the moon on the water can't be beat.

In a saltwater marsh or bay, mullet are jumping which you can hear their splash when they re-enter the water. Everything about paddling at night is magical since your senses are magnified to take it all in.

BTW, since you do some saltwater paddling at night, take a dip net and a sack with you (if you figure out a way to tie these items down) and if you come upon some legal sized blue crabs, scoop them up, put them in bag and when you get home, you can have a few crabs for a late night snack.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »
I've done a few and they are magical. I got a text from NEplay about going out last week but couldn't go...I think the full moon was screwing with my head.... >:(. Great time for night fishing too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Miss Adventure

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:04:48 PM »
Night Wing-the next day I threw the cast net at the landing and caught dinner (mullet) on the 3rd cast! I was only trying to get bait but who needs bait! Haha! (I'm attaching a pic). I may do some blue crabbing but the thing about blue crabs is they are so much work to get the meat. At least compared to oysters and shrimp!

Stoneaxe-you're right! We did do a bit of fishing as well but had some equipment malfunctions and chose to have another beer instead of doing repairs. :-)  May try night fishing this week although the moon isn't nearly as bright now.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:26:55 PM »
@Miss Adventure

In Texas, we don't eat mullet. The mullet meat tastes like "mud". Mullet is used for bait in crab traps or in hand lining for blue crabs. The crabs I'm used to catching are 6" from point to point. When you catch crabs which are 6" (or longer), it's easy to get the crab meat out of the body of the crab. It's a little bit of work, but worth it. And the meat from the large claws is just an added bonus.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 06:46:23 AM »
A somewhat funny true story about crabs.

When I was a teenager I used to make some extra $ shellfishing. Quohogs, scallops, and oysters and I had a few lobster and crab traps. This despite the fact that I am allergic to any shellfish with legs.
A couple of guys that lived in Ohio were working on a summer cottage they had bought in the neighborhood and asked if I could hook them up with a shellfish boil. They had no idea how to eat crabs or lobster so after setting them up I was showing them and while breaking apart a crab a squirt of the juice hit me in the eye.... a minute later my eye was blown up to softball size, swollen shut and red.

That happened over 40 years ago...to this day I still have friends joking about me getting crabs in my eye.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 07:47:50 AM »
I know of one person who has a 12' BOTE HD sup and he takes it out at night. He's rigged with lights, rod holders, stake out pole, ice chest, etc. He takes a long dip net along with him. He usually paddles in about 2' of water and when he comes upon a large legal sized blue crab on the bay or marsh bottom, he nets it. He usually comes home with about 18-24 blue crabs per night on his paddling trip. He also takes with a him a flounder gig. While he is slowly paddling along at night looking for crabs, if he comes upon a legal length flounder, he gigs it and puts the gigged flounder in a tote sack.

He told me if he can get a large enough flounder he will cook himself a "baked stuff flounder dinner". What he does is cut a long line following the backbone from the head all the way to the beginning of the tail. He then uses his fillet knife to slide the knife edge along the flounders bones to the outer edges of the fins which surround the flounder. This essentially makes a pocket which he stuffs with "seasoned crab body meat". Then he cooks the stuffed flounder in his broiler. He told me, "it's the food of the gods". I've tried stuffed bake flounder and is he's right. It is the food of the gods. ;)

So one can do an enjoyable night paddling trip and if one is lucky, bring home "a little dinner too" at the end of the night paddling trip.  8)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:48 AM »
A somewhat funny true story about crabs.

When I was a teenager I used to make some extra $ shellfishing. Quohogs, scallops, and oysters and I had a few lobster and crab traps. This despite the fact that I am allergic to any shellfish with legs.
A couple of guys that lived in Ohio were working on a summer cottage they had bought in the neighborhood and asked if I could hook them up with a shellfish boil. They had no idea how to eat crabs or lobster so after setting them up I was showing them and while breaking apart a crab a squirt of the juice hit me in the eye.... a minute later my eye was blown up to softball size, swollen shut and red.

That happened over 40 years ago...to this day I still have friends joking about me getting crabs in my eye.
You're lucky that all you got was swelling.  A friend of mine also got squirted in the eye by a crab, and ever since he can only give sideways glances.

Miss Adventure

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »
I know of one person who has a 12' BOTE HD sup and he takes it out at night. He's rigged with lights, rod holders, stake out pole, ice chest, etc. He takes a long dip net along with him. He usually paddles in about 2' of water and when he comes upon a large legal sized blue crab on the bay or marsh bottom, he nets it. He usually comes home with about 18-24 blue crabs per night on his paddling trip. He also takes with a him a flounder gig. While he is slowly paddling along at night looking for crabs, if he comes upon a legal length flounder, he gigs it and puts the gigged flounder in a tote sack.

He told me if he can get a large enough flounder he will cook himself a "baked stuff flounder dinner". What he does is cut a long line following the backbone from the head all the way to the beginning of the tail. He then uses his fillet knife to slide the knife edge along the flounders bones to the outer edges of the fins which surround the flounder. This essentially makes a pocket which he stuffs with "seasoned crab body meat". Then he cooks the stuffed flounder in his broiler. He told me, "it's the food of the gods". I've tried stuffed bake flounder and is he's right. It is the food of the gods. ;)

So one can do an enjoyable night paddling trip and if one is lucky, bring home "a little dinner too" at the end of the night paddling trip.  8)

We plan on flounder giggin' soon too. We LOVE flounder. Used to do it as a kid but haven't done it in a while.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »
I think flounder gigging from a sup is easier to do than trying to scoop up crabs at night with a dip net. The reason being, get close enough to scoop a crab up with a dip net, usually the crab starts to scurry away quickly at a high rate of speed. The flounder, usually it just sits on the bottom and you can literally get almost on top of it to gig it since most of the time, the flounder stays put and doesn't swim off.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 08:17:51 AM »

[/quote]You're lucky that all you got was swelling.  A friend of mine also got squirted in the eye by a crab, and ever since he can only give sideways glances.[/quote]

Ouch  ;D
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal