Author Topic: Almost Spring downwinder.  (Read 5008 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Almost Spring downwinder.
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:22:23 PM »
I got to try my new 14 x28 Maliko Jav.. and it's awesome..   8)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Almost Spring downwinder.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:04:20 PM »
Any design differences with the 28? How does it handle compare to your 29 Glide and 28 Jav? Looks a great board

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 01:59:32 AM »
It's a very different board to last years 24 and 26" wide boards..

It's much stronger and heaps stiffer.. thicker and wider in the tail..

The nose shape has changed the most and being pointier (side view) it now doesn't mind poking it's nose under..

There is now a chime (chamfer) under the nose and along the rails.. The v under the nose is gone and replaced with much roundered v or belly..

The big single concave under the center is now a more double concave and with slightly more v ahead of the finbox it turns better when surfing a runner..

I really like it.. Very stable.. Very fast and it stays gliding when most boards would have stopped.. The fin is also a big improvement..

I like it more than my old 28" wide GX Jav and is noticeably faster than my old 29" wide Glide.. Can't wait to try it in bigger conditions..

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 04:20:12 AM »
Sounds like a winner DJ. Look forward to seeing more adventures on it.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 05:04:19 AM »
Thanks DJ.  Finally a new Naish that interests me.  Now I have to decide between at least three boards (and brands ) for a new all round do everything 14... Which is waaay better than having none to choose from.   8)
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 08:12:31 AM »
Nice video of your new toy. What caught my eye is at the first of the video where you're actually surfing a wave for awhile. I didn't think you could easily do that with a 14' DW sup. Learn something new everyday.

Hope to see you on it again in bigger DW waves. Thanks for sharing.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
Nice video of your new toy. What caught my eye is at the first of the video where you're actually surfing a wave for awhile. I didn't think you could easily do that with a 14' DW sup. Learn something new everyday.

Hope to see you on it again in bigger DW waves. Thanks for sharing.

I quite regularly take my M14 surfing on small swells...you can catch waves so easy and early.....some 14 ft boards are more suited than others.....M14 has good nose rocker and curve throughout the board. Great way to learn how to turn these boards.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 07:20:07 PM »
We saw Kai in New York today. Naish sent him this board instead of the flat water board. Regardless, it is a beauty!
Doesn't seem to have a crazy nose rocker so it might do well although we expect to hit headwind on the hudson.

No downwind conditions this time unfortunately. :(
in progress...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 12:43:50 AM »
We saw Kai in New York today. Naish sent him this board instead of the flat water board. Regardless, it is a beauty!
Doesn't seem to have a crazy nose rocker so it might do well although we expect to hit headwind on the hudson.

It's funny how they prefer the DW Maliko board even for flat water races..

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 03:38:02 AM »

DJ, are you hiding any more great videos?  :D

Looking at this video, it seems like it performs as good as an all water board
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 02:31:50 AM »

Yeah, why is that? I saw Caspar do amazing things in a largely flat course race last year on one too. I've noticed that planing hull boards can attain some pretty amazing peak speeds if you have the power, so maybe that's it. We've got a lot yet to learn about how different hulls react under different situations. But in the face of it you wouldn't expect a board with such hard rails forward to be fast in flat water. Maybe the extra stability and tracking of a planing hull compensates for losses in other ways through not having a piercing bow?

But maybe you need to be freakishly fit to get good speeds in flat water on a board like this. How fast is the Maliko on flat water in the hands of an average mid-pack or tail-end amateur?

That's another great vid btw DJ. It *really* sells the Jav Maliko. I should think that Naish's excellent decision to build a 28" wide one has just been repaid many times over by that vid. The board looks fast, easy, and super-stable.

I rather like this breed of hybrid boards for light downwinding. But there's no doubt that when the wind really blows, heavily-rockered boards are a lot easier. I'd like to try this new Maliko back-to-back with the Mk2 Glide in 30 knots. And, for that matter, in flat water too. Just to see how far we have progressed in the last 5 years or so. I've used my Bark Vapor alongside a Glide Mk2 and overall the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned, although I think the Naish has it upwind in decent chop.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 04:13:37 AM »
Yes, the Maliko vs. Glide Mk2 (v2 lol).  I tend to agree A10, rocker is a friend when it comes to turnkey downwinding.  Every time I try a new board (potential replacement for my Glide) I am underwhelmed. Sure, they're all pretty and new, (not all of them, some are fugly) but it just goes to show that Harold Iggy was so far ahead of the game..  8)
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 06:10:08 AM »
Yes, the Maliko vs. Glide Mk2 (v2 lol).  I tend to agree A10, rocker is a friend when it comes to turnkey downwinding.  Every time I try a new board (potential replacement for my Glide) I am underwhelmed. Sure, they're all pretty and new, (not all of them, some are fugly) but it just goes to show that Harold Iggy was so far ahead of the game..  8)

So far I still prefer my M14 to the 2016 Allstar for light DW even though it is harder work.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 06:19:01 AM »

Yeah, why is that?... We've got a lot yet to learn about how different hulls react under different situations...

As good as these boards are, as soon as they hit headwind it exposes the "Holes in their game"

At the NYC SEA Paddle race, I had a guy on a bark Vapor toe to toe with me for the first 15 miles,
as soon as we hit the Hudson with headwind (not even strong 6-7mph) I dropped him very quickly.
I had 12 minutes on him on the last 10 mile.

I suspect that's what happened to Kai. When he past me by on the 10 mile mark, he was 20 seconds
behind the lead proner (See Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdzwmksypjnekac/Kai.mov?dl=0 ). He finished almost 2 minutes behind and that cost him the $8500 grand prize.

I think he would have done better on a pure flat water board. He was already at disadvantage going headwind against a proner on an 18 footer displacement.

I think that's why all the top SIC racers still prefer the X series over the FX.
in progress...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 06:21:30 AM »

The difference in speed and glide would be huge.. The Maliko's at a whole new level.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal