Author Topic: Upwind advice  (Read 8754 times)

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Upwind advice
« on: August 18, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »
Hi, I just had to paddle 2 miles to a beach with the wind and chop coming from 30 or 45 degrees.  Probably the least enjoyable paddle I have had.  Any advice on how to deal with this, is it best to take the pain and mostly paddle on one side, or  head straight upwind then across the chop at 90 degrees to get in?  Thanks.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Upwind advice
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:14:25 PM »
I like to pick a course that is either straight into the wind or downwind.

This video has some helpful tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJrLBgaFeb4
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:26:57 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:59:15 PM »
We just had a similar scenario play out a couple of days ago.  A group of us paddled to a bay a couple of miles away which was kinda on a DW and side angle.  On the way back it was upwind and to the side at probs 10 kts or so with gusts maybe at 12 in ocean slop and reflected chop.  Fairly messy conditions overall.

I took a direct oblique route paddling about 98% on one side - and this was fine.  My wife and others took a longer upwind at 80% then crosswind at 100% approach.  Personally the more direct route is better for me because it is the shortest distance and I paddle in those conditions all the time.  But basically it was 3 votes upwind then crosswind - and only 1 oblique direct.  Every person has their own preference of what works best for them.  Some of the paddlers were sore the next day - but they still liked getting out on the water.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I took the direct route, hard work but I got there.  Will try the suggestions in the video, anything that helps get a few strokes in on the other side - really takes the strain off the over-worked side.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »
One thing that's not been mentioned.. Move slightly more forward on the board..

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 05:05:19 PM »
One thing that's not been mentioned.. Move slightly more forward on the board..

Definitely good advice here, and going directly into the wind as much as possible, so you get a work out on both sides. If not possible, standing forward can really help especially if you have a board with sides that sit out of the water a lot (like a SB Ace). By standing forward of the centre, the wind will push the back of the board downwind, helping you to stay on course. I have found that this really works well, and you can experiment on how far forward you can stand to make this work. On my SIC Bullet 14 V1 TWC, the deck pad stretches way forward and it is possible to stand 18" / 45cm in front of the handle..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 07:06:11 PM »
You cannot be serious! Can't wait to try standing in front of the handle in the constant quartering winds here on Cape Cod. I usually end up paddling directly into the wind for a while and turning and repeating.

The jagged sawtooth track!

This tip will definitely change my life!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Turtle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Laineet.fi - Keeps you One Wave Ahead
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:42:49 PM »
And don't forget to foot steer. I find it most effective for me.
Starboard National Team Rider
2023 14'x23" Allstar Custom Carbon
Starboard Lima M
Starboard Bolt L
Quickblade Trifecta 98
http://laineet.fi/

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 02:51:37 AM »
The other thing to consider and it has surved me well in a number of races id looking at what the water and wind is doing and how to maximise or minimise its effect. we're is it the least windy, are there any sheltered areas you can use even if it's a longer route and what are the tides doing, is there any tide or current running and in what direction and were, do you need to find were the least current is or were you can use it to your adavantage. You need to consider all these things to calculate what is going to be the most  efficient route up wind.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 10:20:13 AM »
I do both, straight upwind and some crosswind......just to relieve paddling one side. I hate paddling sidewinds on one side.....hate it!

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 10:59:30 AM »
I do both, straight upwind and some crosswind......just to relieve paddling one side. I hate paddling sidewinds on one side.....hate it!

This. I got hit with a sidewind on a 4 day trip recently and went upwind multiple times to relieve paddling on one side. It's brutal when you are paddling on one side for hours at a time.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 10:41:21 PM »
None of this really helps me when the wind is to my side. For this reason, I always try to paddle upwind and then downwind. I'll change directions when I can. However, if safety (or getting home) dictates otherwise, I'll paddle standing up sidewind only when absolutely necessary, but every single time, it will destroy my shoulders... and put me out of commission the next day or two with no wish for paddling.

Moving forward on my new Sprint, or the new Allstar didn't make an ounce of difference for me. Banking my board seems to actually catch more wind. Angling my paddle shaft to sweep a bit works, but then it throws my back out of whack. Angling the blade a little actually works for me, but then I am back to paddling only on one side. Making a super short stroke, and boosting strokes per minute makes the most difference to me… but I am not a machine. A rudder makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE, and takes away the pain from paddling only on one side.

Perhaps the pain of paddling with side wind is greatly amplified with smaller and lighter paddlers.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 11:20:47 PM »
Man - side chop from the side kills my legs and I am only dealing with teeny lake swells. I'm still getting used to the 26" wide board - as far as heavy  I'm plenty heavy and it didn't help lol.  Maybe it's worse with small/high frequency waves only 2 feet peak to peak.....regardless I had to paddle upwind mostly head on and turn back down to get to shore or I was going in the drink - and it's already getting pretty chilly in the lakes.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 01:46:58 AM »
C'est la vie!

Here's a tip you'll hate:
 Do more of it! It doesn't get any better, but you do.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 10:05:13 AM »
Actually have found that paddling in those conditions does help a lot in the end.  You kinda get used to it.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal