Author Topic: Paddling with Cervical Stenosis  (Read 7319 times)

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Paddling with Cervical Stenosis
« on: August 17, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
I've been diagnosed with stenosis in my neck.  Paddling is starting to cause me pain in my neck and across my shoulders and between my shoulder blades.  I don't have pain in my shoulder joints.  Any one else dealing with this?  Any suggestions?  I didn't have this pain the first couple of years of paddling.  I did upgrade to a new board and paddle last year, so maybe I should go back to my old crappy equipment.   ;)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling with Cervical Stenosis
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 01:10:21 PM »
How does your new paddle compare to the old one? Larger/smaller blade, longer/shorter overall?  Stiffer, etc?

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
How does your new paddle compare to the old one? Larger/smaller blade, longer/shorter overall?  Stiffer, etc?

The new paddle is a V-Drive 91 the old one was a Werner Carve M 2 Piece, it was stolen so I don't know exact dimensions but I believe it was a bit smaller.  I've wondered if the new paddle might be the problem; I guess buying another to try is an option.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 05:42:05 PM »
The vDrive is a heck of a good paddle, but the catch is sudden, like the new KeNalu Mala. I wouldn't be surprised if that's making you hurt. Early catch and a stiff shaft will give your shoulders, upper back, and neck a bit of a pounding. There's nothing crappy about a Werner carve. Fine paddle. You might also try a KeNalu Maliko with an xTuf(S) shaft. It catches well, but doesn't have the suddenness of the V-Drive and the flex characteristics of the xTuf shaft make my shoulders feel good--to the degree that if my shoulders are stiff and achy I go paddling. It's really the xTuf(s) shaft that makes the big difference but other manufacturers blades won't fit it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 06:47:22 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  I've been considering a KeNalu and playing around with length to see if it helps; would a Maliko be better than a Wiki 84 paired with the xTuf (S)? 

BTW, The Carve wasn't what I was referring to as crappy; when it was stolen I reverted back to the paddle that came with my original Costco board. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 06:11:08 AM »
I suspect you'll find length helps a lot--get the extended Ergo-t handle and you have ten inches or adjustment to play with. If you get the adjustable part you don't need a heat gun to change length--just an Allen wrench--and then when you find the best length just take it off and hot glue the shaft. Or leave it on, but I prefer an uncluttered shaft.

Lots of people like the Wiki, but for me, it's just too small. I find myself flailing away with it at an uncomfortable cadence. But I'm a moose, and despite all my years of effort, my stroke still falls apart when I don't pay attention to it. Maliko is just kind of a safe bet, given the high price of paddles these days. It would be great if you could demo it, but if not, I'd go for the Maliko. Similar to the V-drive in overall power, but not as firm at the catch.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 07:01:05 AM »
Maybe thats what I have... I get serious pain in the lower neck between the shoulder-blades when paddling, no matter which paddle or craft I'm using kayak, canoe, SUP.. been happening for a couple years, (66 yr old), and my fishing trips are avg. 6 hours but not steady paddling or poling.
May have to get it checked out.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 07:34:52 AM »
Stenosis (narrowing of the bone around the spinal column) is usually progressive, so yeah, if you think you have a condition like that it's worthwhile to see a doctor. Could be something else that can be relieved with PT, but stenosis probably means eventual surgery. Fortunately, it's one of the more successful spinal surgeries, but from what I've been told the graft takes a long time to heal. My doctor thought my foot and leg problems might be stenosis. Turned out to be vein reflux.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
I have a Wiki 84 - Xtuf (S) on the way.  I'll report back on results.

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 06:10:31 PM »
Wow this topic is near and dear to my heart. I have struggled with chronic neck issues of years and transitioned from swimming then rowing and now sup. I think that paddle length is a large influence. For me.... A longer paddle emcourages me to use more rotational thrust while a shorter paddle forces me to use more of a forward backward hip thrust. It seems the rotational movements stress my neck more, manifesting in tight traps and generalized upper back pain.
In Connor Baxters technique video he makes a point to emphasize relaxing your arms and upper torso through the drive. Whenever I feel my neck start talking to me I try to consciously relax my neck, shoulders, arms and upper back and focus on using the power from my hips, legs, and lower torso.
I'm not sure all this helps or makes sense but I feel your pain.
Oh, and yoga, yoga yoga.......
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:15:45 PM by Esteroali »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 08:01:49 PM »
Here is a resource for the biomechanics of paddling from Kialoa.  There are 7 parts and all worth watching for anyone looking to paddle with some longevity.

http://www.kialoa.com/biomechanics
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:08:36 PM by Bean »

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 10:52:47 PM »
I've been diagnosed with stenosis in my neck.  Paddling is starting to cause me pain in my neck and across my shoulders and between my shoulder blades.  I don't have pain in my shoulder joints.  Any one else dealing with this?  Any suggestions?  I didn't have this pain the first couple of years of paddling.  I did upgrade to a new board and paddle last year, so maybe I should go back to my old crappy equipment.   ;)

Hi Gramps

Sorry to know about your cervical issues. At which level do you have stenosis?
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »

Hi Gramps

Sorry to know about your cervical issues. At which level do you have stenosis?

Thanks.  I had an MRI of my spine and the Dr. simply said I had stenosis in my cervical spine; he didn't suggest any restrictions in my activities.  I'll ask for a more detailed description if the new paddle doesn't help.  It's arriving today, so here's hoping it will help.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 01:19:30 PM »
Here is a resource for the biomechanics of paddling from Kialoa.  There are 7 parts and all worth watching for anyone looking to paddle with some longevity.

http://www.kialoa.com/biomechanics

Interesting video.  I'm going to work on some of those areas of my paddling.  Thanks.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 06:23:22 PM »
I'm having ongoing issues with both my neck (C5-6) and back (L3-5 and sacroiliac), stenosis, discs bulging and burst, synovial cysts...yada yada. I think I've kind of come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is work your way through it if at all possible. There have been a handful of times that the pain has risen to unendurable levels but PT (and time) have all of them at manageable levels at the moment.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal