Author Topic: A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji  (Read 18671 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 12:49:58 PM »
Sounds like you will have a great quiver.  It was stormy and rainy the first two days and I was wishing I brought a rain jacket, all I had was a sweatshirt- not cold, just wet.  Good sunscreen is a must and long sleeve shirts are a good idea if you are in the sun all day.  If you get any reef cuts make sure to clean them out really well.  The waves at Cloudbreak pack a punch so bring a strong leash and a back up leash, and ding repair putty.  Where are you staying?

Cheers many thanks i will bare that in mind when packing, are reef boots needed or can you get away without?

I'm hoping to get a few days on malolo before heading back to the main island for the duration of the comp but hopefully we will get a few boat trips from there on the days off.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2016, 12:21:44 AM »
I don't like to wear booties but am very careful not to touch the bottom.  Booties might be a good idea though if you are not used to surfing over shallow reef and especially if you get caught inside at Cloudbreak on a low tide.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2016, 12:27:12 AM »
cheers yea i don't like it ether but we have to in the winter here, ill bring a pair just incase i think.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji testing at the Wave Garden
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 01:03:52 AM »
Just got back from a little trip to wales were i had a few sessions on the Wave Garden at Surf Snowdonia. It was pretty fun, very different to surfing the ocean in all sorts of ways and it was very easy to catch you out with the power coming from funny directions and a lot of swirling around water. There is definitely a lot to learn and get used to!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2016, 01:15:21 AM »
Cool pics. We'll certainly be able to pick you out in Fiji with that board.

The water at Snowdonia looks a bit funky though. Is it actually as dirty as it looks?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji testing at the Wave Garden
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2016, 01:22:52 AM »
wouldn't  say its any worse than your average lake it very cold though already and you don't generate much warmth as you don't do much paddling and in and out of the water a lot.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2016, 05:46:21 PM »
UK, your technique looks good man. You're going to do well in Fiji I just know it. Get ready to build some boards when you come back and the story hits thenUK press. Speaking of, you might want to spend a little money and hire a publicist for a month or two after the event to boost your profile. Money well spent if you find the right one.

As to the water, people forget that water gets color from the sky and the bottom as well as sediment so remember that the liner and the background and the sky are all pretty dark there so that all adds to the darkness. Looks clearer than the Gulf of Mexico most days to me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:48:45 PM by surfcowboy »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji testing at the wave garden
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »
Yea it's defiantly cleaner than our normal harbour surf spot by a long way, I think a lot of it is just sediment that gets churned up by the machine, it didn't bother me at all. Unfortunately these will be the lay boards I build for about 6mths as I'm going to be living over in auz while my wife is on a work placement, still could be worse places to be and should get a lot more waves than I do here plus it will be summer again :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »
Oh man, summer in Oz? So great. Try to sneak over to Indo or PNG while you're there man. Enjoy and stay around here. I'm sure I'll hit you up for info on this next build. ;) (if I ever finish this desert place. )

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2016, 05:14:41 AM »
So after re evaluating it looks like the first board will be left at home, I had a bit of a call around to try and get some support from local suppliers and managed to get a few deals on materials so 3 new boards geting glassed but only have 7 days till I fly!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2016, 08:12:43 AM »
Who called? The Yankees?

(I just realized that this might joke might not work, being British and all that.)

Looks like a variety of shapes.  You're about to make the leap to the big time, and now you're headed to Oz...without the magic machine.  That's gotta hurt a bit. I wish you could take it with you so these threads wouldn't die.  I really am a big fan of your finished product.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
From the movie 'Catch Me if You Can"-
Frank Abagnale Sr.: (Christopher Walken)You know why the Yankees always win, Frank?
Frank Abagnale Jr.: (Leo. DiCaprio) Because they have Mickey Mantle?
Frank Abagnale Sr.: (Christopher Walken)No, it's because no one can keep their eyes off those damn pinstripes.

Nice looking boards Charlie.  Just let us know if you want us to stop by the shop, check on stuff, try out some boards, run the machine, use up the resin, etc...Have a nice trip and let us know how things are going.

http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2016, 03:37:40 PM »
I got to admit being away from my work shop for 6mths does have me fairly worried! I'm going to try and spend some time learning solid works and perhaps get a 3D printer as I have a hole bunch of little things I want to play with developing. I have allso found a shapeing room you can rent y the hour so may try and shape a longboard but that will probably be about all. Hopefully plenty of down winders and waves will keep me occupied in the meantime.

supthecreek

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2016, 04:41:11 AM »
Nice looking boards Charlie, have a great time in OZ!

Good move.... following summer for a year and a half!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2016, 05:58:18 AM »
Don't encourage him - he needs to stop this Endless Summer cobblers, get in his workshop and work his fingers to the bone inventing some new boards for the conditions here in the UK. After all, the prices, availability, suitability and construction of the big brand boards just ain't cutting it for us, frankly. We need local solutions. And, anyway, why should he have all the fun? ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal