Author Topic: A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji  (Read 18672 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
ok thanks for that info guys i will get watching some vids, paddle speed needed to get into them ? I'm assuming so??

I'm thinking perhaps i need to go longer but try and keep the width down? maybe 7'8 x 26.75 as the smallest for the good days 7'10 x 28 for the windy days and then maybe a 8'2-8'5 x 26.75 for the big days. I would like to take a square pin with me but will just have to see how may boards i can take. I'm 6'2 and 77kg at the moment so normally go with 92-94L

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 06:40:36 PM »
I'm not an expert having never surfed Cloudbreak but it's an open ocean wave, subject to a lot of wind and weather. So I would err on the side of more width for your "heavy conditions" board. 

The tricky part seems to be rocker.  I've watched a lot of pro events at Cloudbreak and unless its huge, it seems to have an easier "chip in" for the take off than on a more slab like wave such as Teahupoo.  I watched a lot of waves where shortboard surfers could do a nice relaxed take off, bottom turn and set up for the section rather than having to angle underneath a pitching lip and knife the face a la John John at Pipe.

So you might not need as much rocker as you think.  Less rocker = more speed, which is obviously key here.  And it will help you paddle in early.  Again, watch the replays of the pros.  And watch the women's event. 

Also, I'd keep the rails relatively soft.  With all that speed, soft rails seem to provide more grip especially in choppy conditions where if your rail is too hard you could go skipping down the face.  I have a Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun which seems to be made for powerful island surf, and the rails are quite foiled and tapered but very soft with almost no hard edge, even at the tail.

Just my $0.02

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 05:42:05 AM »
I sent a message to Dave Kalama to which he responded ... Your average speed I'm guessing will be much higher, so thin out your rails a bit, especially in the tail area. You don't need a crazy amount of rocker, I stay pretty much in the middle of the road.Maybe a little more tuck in the rails.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 07:52:48 AM »
That's awesome that Dave pitched in. Guys, remember that for Charlie, 28" IS wide lol.

Your plan sounds good man. Also that's interesting about the take off being not as steep as pipe, for instance. I'll have to go watch some of the WSL stuff myself. I can see how you'd want to haul a$$ down the line on that wave, for sure.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »
been super busy recently and not had time to get on to this plus I have been trying to decide just what to do.

We had a good swell last week so I searched out a nice big heavy beach break to get my brain into gear.

I also had a quick play on a starboard 2015 7'4 x 25.5 pro while letting the other guy have a play on my evo flux and although it was prity darn hard for me to stand on on the wave it felt quite nice and like the rail sat in the face quite nicely. I only had a quick look at the bottom so if anyone has one or any pics I would be interested to take a closer look

I have taken a previous shape and had a play this eve with a 7'10 x 27 which im thinking about building asap to test and see how it feels with the aim of it being the middle board in the quiver.

I have given the rails a little more tuck and taken out some of the v as there wont be much need for going rail to rail

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 01:13:44 PM »
Looks like it'll hold speed with that tail rocker. It also looks like you left a little volume in the tail? Might just be the angle of the rendering.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »
just realized im actually about 3L over in volume at the moment so can take a hair of the thickness and get it down to 94L

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 05:18:52 AM »
So cool....can't wait for the video......have fun.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »
That's a nice looking shape, should work well!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
Thruster?
It's not overhead to me!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 04:55:33 AM »
first board being cut as we speak and i have put a live feed on Facebook for those who are friends on there

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 12:51:53 PM »
First board cut 7'10 X 27. I'm hoping this will be my big board for bumpy days with them maybe a 8'4 X 26 for Bigger stuf and maybe a 7'6 X 26 for clean days

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »
looks like a real turner.  Can't wait for the finished product.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 05:35:20 AM »
the board is now glassed hot coated and part sanded, a little more sanding and then a gloss to Finnish it off on this one as it really makes the colours pop. pic at hot coat stage.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 06:56:16 PM »
You're quite the impressionist :)
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal