Author Topic: A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji  (Read 18774 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji
« on: August 16, 2016, 06:21:14 AM »
I have just been asked to represent the uk at the worlds in fiji in November and i probably only have one board that is anywhere near suitable to take with me so i think the best thing to do will be to build a fresh quiver of two or 3 boards to take with me :)

Cloudbreak is about as faraway from what i normally surf as you can get. My regular square nose evolution boards are around 7'4 x 28 x 94L but I'm thinking going more of a traditional  shape with more curve in the outline so probably a 7'6, 7'9 and 8' step up. Any advice from people who have surfed out there would be great as I'm pretty much going in to this blind as to what its really going to be like out there other than a few you tube clips.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: A quiver for Cloudbreak and fiji
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 07:54:22 AM »
Yo, Maui crew. If anyone deserved a skype or email with Kalama, it's this guy.

Congrats man, good luck!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:56:51 AM »
Congratulations Charlie! ............... but........ If it's big ......... guullpp ::)

I've never been to Fiji. 

Seriously cool. You should have an awesome time. This is a great video about what you might need for Cloudbreak that you've probably already seen.  You're going to need speed for sure.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
im not going to lie im pretty nervous! its the off season though so it shouldn't be crazy big fingers crossed ether way it should make for a great trip and a once in a life time chance to even be out in the line up.   

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 08:20:32 AM »
I prone surfed cloudbreak years ago right after Tavarua's 'ownership' ended and other charters could surf it.  Also surfed a number of other breaks both on that trip, and 3 years ago on my honeymoon in my 2 trips to fiji.

you absolutely want a traditional surf shaped sup.  Even their 'fat' breaks (restaurants) are still powerful waves over reef.

i ride a Hypernut here in jersey occasionally and if you are speaking about a squared off quad or simmons- it wont play on that wave.

Its a hell of a wave when its on...and strangely enough is even kinda more dangerous when its small since there is less water on the reef (at least in my experience)

have fun!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 08:37:17 AM »
The two quivers I normally ride are of these two designs fast in mush but even the pintail out runs everything when it gets head and a bit and is quite hard to hold and not right for figi although a highly modified one of the top white pin tail may have some benefits.

The other board that is quite good in steep stuff is the last one pictured however it has a lot of rocker and not as much speed.

Sounds like staying high is very important along with speed on the wave so maybe a bit more tuck in the rail at the rear to get a bit more hold
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:45:21 AM by supuk »

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:15:56 PM »
Post triggered my memory of this string...

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=25561.0
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 08:34:06 PM »
Way to go Charlie! Pretty darn cool..... go get em!

You probably saw this vid, but I'll repost it here so you can look over the boards they were riding on their South Sea Adventure.

getcarter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 01:46:39 AM »
Congrats man really happy for you there guy !!!..... Fiji is ace !

Cheers

M

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »
Congrats, go get 'em Charlie!

Too bad we're all not close enough to come over and help you glass and sand the new quiver.

Will we get to see anything before or is it all top-secret until the competition?
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 11:48:20 PM »
cheers all i will post some pics as soon as i can figure out what i need to do for that wave, if anyone can help or know some one who has surfed it and can give me some advice please let me know or forward them my details

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 07:53:03 AM »
JRandy, that would be cool, a sanding party to get a quiver going.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 08:54:23 AM »
Congratulations Charlie! Have fun! Best of luck!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 09:57:53 AM »
Congrats, that's awesome!

This year will be the third year in a row for me. I have surfed everything from my L41 S4 and S5 to a more traditional 8' Stamps and last year I got to use my Joe Blair 8'10" gun, which I was very thankful for. This year im bringing my JK traditional shape and my gun.  Cloudbreak is very fast and can be very windy but cleans up on the face. You need to be able to connect the two sections for high scores. You look way lighter than me but I would have a three board quiver, one for macking Cloudy, one for windy cloudy and one for perfection. I would also bring multiple paddles, (I have broken one each year), and some really strong leashes.

Good luck.  I'll be out there in October, cant wait. Bring kite gear if you kite also.
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

Dooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
I think that your rockered out board will be surprisingly fast there, the waves just have a lot more curve and inherent speed than most places.

My experience there (prone surfing) is that you want a board that will get in and turn down-the-line right away, not require a drop down the face - these reef-pass waves start fast, the farther up the reef you go the faster the sections are.

In hollower waves traditional pointy nose boards seem to do that better, more rail can be engaged into the curve of the face without catching. This would apply to Cloudbreak, Wilkes and Restaurants; Namotu left and swimmingpools are more typical fun waves and your squared off round pin would work great there.

If you are planning to charge bigger (2x overhead+) cloudbreak or wilkes, bring a longer gunnier board along to get in early and scratch over the cleanup sets.

Also, watch lots of WSL heats, it will give you a much better idea of real conditions out there than any edited surf video.

Have fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal