Author Topic: Red Paddle Co 2017: New FFC racing iSUP technology  (Read 7877 times)

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Red Paddle Co 2017: New FFC racing iSUP technology
« on: August 14, 2016, 12:32:03 PM »
Looking to step it up again in 2017, Red Paddle Co will be introducing the patented Forward Flex Control (FFC) technology on their Elite racing inflatable paddle boards. The 12'6" and 14' Elites will both feature the FFC rod, which in conjunction with their RSS batten system, claims to offer "even more rigidity under the intense pressures of competition."

Read more about it here: http://greenwatersports.com/7766/preview-of-2017-red-paddle-co-technology-forward-flex-control-ffc

Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Red Paddle Co 2017: New FFC racing iSUP technology
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 07:22:32 AM »
That's a great addition to an already sick board. At 25" wide with a more streamlined shape this is going to be a speed machine.

I'm seriously considering replacing my 2015 model with this new one, and now
with the more standardized 8" fin box, I can fit it with most of my Larry Allison fins.
in progress...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:35:25 AM »
Smart place to add rigidity. On  DW the biggest issue limiting planing take off w an iSup is a floppy front sticking to the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »
A little video guide to installation and it shows the compression in action. Best to watch in HD and full screen to see the board flex.

More info: https://greenwatersports.com/8453/installing-forward-flex-control-on-red-paddle-co-elite-sups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSloJCUpt8
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »
And another new addition is the RAM Mounts built into the board, for connecting
Camera or Sports computer without the need of messy stickers.

This is the thread size (M8) that's going to fit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D8WIWIE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »
Is it only me that reads FFS when I see FFC? Maybe I've been texting for too long, ffs. 😀

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »
Seems like this could retro fit - just like gluing a new  d-ring - careful cutting/sanding of foam to clear the deck, glue down the pads - ta-da!

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 09:35:05 AM »
Seems to me this ought to be a standard feature of any of their "race" models,  and I'd like to see them offer it on the 13 Explorer as well. The only Red Paddle board that I have had a chance to demo was a 13 Explorer and frankly I was disappointed because it just wasn't stiff enough IMHO. Maybe the shop didn't really have it inflated to the max pressure....they said they did,  but I have no way of knowing. I wonder if there would be any value or interest in a small pressure guage being incorporated near the fill such that you could easily see if the board needs to be "topped off" ?? ;)
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
I haven't used any inflatable that I thought was stiff enough, Red Paddle or otherwise. I did once strap a 2x4 to the deck of one of my iSUPs in sheer frustration!

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 02:42:18 PM »
I haven't used any inflatable that I thought was stiff enough, Red Paddle or otherwise. I did once strap a 2x4 to the deck of one of my iSUPs in sheer frustration!

A10 perhaps you could start putting brand/model/size/psi of these iSups you are mentioning suck - you ALWAYS say they suck - but don't say WHAT it was and WHEN it was. For instance - have you paddled the board this thread is about? I realize you do a LOT of paddling, and you might have been on the latest models - but you've been bad-talking them so long that your oldest posts about them might have been  been the old 4" thick models.

What was the iSup you strapped a 2x4 to? Seems like a good way to check for "sag" - better than two sawhorses for sure. Maybe a video with a camera showing the flex as paddling is done....I know they DO flex - a lot - you are not lying just because you hate them - but you do hate them, clearly :D

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 03:05:10 PM »

A10 perhaps you could start putting brand/model/size/psi of these iSups you are mentioning suck - you ALWAYS say they suck - but don't say WHAT it was and WHEN it was. For instance - have you paddled the board this thread is about? I realize you do a LOT of paddling, and you might have been on the latest models - but you've been bad-talking them so long that your oldest posts about them might have been  been the old 4" thick models.

What was the iSup you strapped a 2x4 to? Seems like a good way to check for "sag" - better than two sawhorses for sure. Maybe a video with a camera showing the flex as paddling is done....I know they DO flex - a lot - you are not lying just because you hate them - but you do hate them, clearly :D

deepmud, I usually try to stick with the facts whenever possible.

Here is the review I did for this board:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30828.0.html

I usually make an opinion on stuff I've tested rather than just heard about.
Also made  a video review on further down on that linked thread.

If you want to know more you can ask me on that thread and I'll try to help
if I can.
in progress...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »
I might try that if I was paddling an inflatable, but then again that would make two studs on one board.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »

No of course I don't hate them - I own two. The inflatable I strapped a 2x4 to was a a 2015 6" thick Starboard deluxe 16. It did help!

I think you are being over-sensitive about criticisms of inflatables. They have their place, and one day when proper rail shapes can be achieved they might displace hard boards altogether. But we are a LONG way from that right now, much as things are improving. But a person's perspective on this will be influenced by the paddling he or she does. If you paddle in mild conditions in flatish water and don't surf except in beginner stuff (and I say this as someone who has surfed an inflatable in double OH conditions) then you won't notice that much difference from a hard board. But the further you step into lively conditions the wider the gap gets.

But they do have their uses, especially for beginners close to shore, and family fun, and it would be a good thing IMO to have separate race categories for inflatables at all races. I use mine a lot with family and friends, and would race one if it wasn't so frustrating to see your energy get wasted in the "iSUP boing". But then if everyone is boinging at the same time in a race I guess it doesn't matter.

If I was going to buy an iSUP for racing it would be a Red Paddle, or maybe a custom ULI. I just wouldn't try to paddle one in serious crosswinds or downwinding in more than knee-high conditions. Not very rewarding. Oh, and then there's the single chamber safety thing. But we've already done that to death in the past.

So I'm just advocating a bit of balance here. ISUPs are still very very basic shapes. Bravo to John Hibbard and Red Paddle for forcing everyone else to raise their game though. They have done us a great service.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal