Author Topic: Travis Grant's New Paddling Stroke  (Read 18717 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Travis Grant's New Paddling Stroke
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 12:26:39 PM »
To hear him say "try not to stack your shoulders too much, because you loose strength in the ability to push your paddle down." This has been messing with my head for years..... This is my stroke. It's nice to hear it from an expert that what I've found works best for me, is a good technique.  :)
 I paddled with Rob Rojas yesterday. He just got his new unlimited. We swapped unlimiteds and compared the two. His is 19'6 x 24, mine 18' x 25. His is a couple pounds lighter than mine, and more volume. I think mine tracks better. Might be because my fin is closer to the tail than his? He also has a new KeNalu paddle that he digs.
We did a side by side sprint and our stokes and rate are very similar. He weights his paddle and doesn't stack his shoulders that much. He has better reach than me for sure, but I hung in there. ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »
^^ yeah, just wait long enough and you may get lucky and it becomes trendy!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2016, 05:23:05 PM »
I find that angling my upper hand a little bit backwards effectively reminds me to push down with each stroke.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2016, 03:39:43 AM »
Here is the latest Puakea stoke video form Evan Leong at standuppaddlesurf.net, he had some good pointers for us,  the sound quality sucks but you get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8rDOujsiM4

at 1:40 I'm thinking "oh - boat wake, those kill me...better watch how to.......ooops...ok not just me....." :D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2016, 04:24:03 AM »
Used the Puakea stroke on a downwinder today. It's 4:00 AM and I woke up with a numb, painful hand--carpal tunnel kicked up. Probably won't do that again.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2016, 08:12:26 AM »
I could listen to Travis Grant all day. That video of him explaining his stroke was really great. He isn't as polished a presenter as the likes of Dave Kalama or Danny Ching, but he has a huge "believability" or "trustworthiness" factor.  Maybe its just the sheer humbleness of his delivery. You don't doubt that he believes what he is saying, and he's telling you as much as he knows. Whereas you do wonder with some hyper-competitive athletes if what they are saying sometimes contains some disinformation - after all, it must be hard to give your competitors gratis the benefit of your hard-won experience.

The message that probably no-one has the perfect stroke (yet) suggests an open-mindedness and willingness to experiment that could see him at the top of his game for some time yet. I hope he does some more videos. It's fantastic that he is so generous to those around him (including his competitors) in these interviews. What a class act.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2016, 09:15:11 AM »
I find that angling my upper hand a little bit backwards effectively reminds me to push down with each stroke.
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing but if you are breaking your wrist,  that might be what might is inflaming your carpal tunnel.  I recommend keeping the wrist straight, not bent.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
A10 I agree 100 percent with your assessment of travis grant. He has more humility about his mastry of the stroke than most of the pompous jackasses on this forum. And yes, as you are all thinking, I am clearly one of the pompous jackasses.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »
The simple fact that he was willing to listen to Johnny tell him that most of what he was doing is wrong says a lot about him. Of course he needed proof to go after a new stroke, but the proof is there, it's faster. It's also harder on your body, at least it is on mine, and that's not too surprising. Travis has the conditioning to handle that. He's also hugely experienced, which doesn't always come across. He was relatively unknown in the SUP world prior to the 2013 M2O, but he's been paddling all his life--mostly outrigger canoe. It's not farfetched to call him the Australian Danny Ching. I remember a conversation with Dave Kalama years ago when he said "wait until Danny Ching starts racing SUP, he'll be hard to beat." I had no idea of who he was talking about. I'd never heard of Travis before 2013, but that's just USA navel gazing--we don't look outward much.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »
Both Travis and Johnny seem pretty legit and willing to give good advice in the vids.  They both come across sincere.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2016, 11:45:23 AM »
Simple question. When trying to incorporate a twist is it more efficient to push off the toe or the heel?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »
Just came back paddling the AS23 and tried to specifically track what I was feeling with torso twist.  My foot was basically balanced from toe to heel during my normal paddle stroke.  But on sprint would expect more toe to heel dynamic balance.  With our wider boards - balance is not as critical and you can get away with a lot more crap technique and not fall in.  But for the most part - I try not to think what I am doing.  And instead just do it intuitively.  For the most part that works for me.  But then I just paddle around randomly most the time just for a bit of fun and relaxation.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal