Author Topic: Travis Grant's New Paddling Stroke  (Read 18716 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Travis Grant's New Paddling Stroke
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »
Pdxman, Great observations from yet another discipline!

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »
Good discussion.

A deep stroke does make the "sword" style recovery difficult. I don't expect these two styles to converge, they have little in common other than trying to get a good catch.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 04:00:57 PM »
Ya Bill,

Tried to figure it out from Todd B. vid years ago. Oops. Major forearm burn.
I suspect that personal instruction from Kalama would fix it.

From your experience it's clear that it works really well in DW. I still use my bogus Haole Tahitian Treat in the Rec Races I do for fun when I am trying to finish with a kick.

Unfortunately, last year Hummingbird Heart got up to over 200 and I got zapped by my Cyborg Implant. No fun..

BUT, that was last year!! ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:10:02 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
There is a new video on paddle stroke with John Puakea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arAJhcoQ_BY
The content would be great except that most of the sound is missing.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 05:22:24 PM »
Actually the content is still great  ;D
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »
Nice video by Puakea. A beginner can learn lots of great info on these videos in this topic thread.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »
Night Wing--thanks, that's a great video.  Having him show both techniques and discussing the pros and cons is way more helpful than just seeing somebody doing or talking about one.  I also like that he realizes the stroke knowledge is in flux, so there's no absolute right or wrong. 

ukgm--I noticed that "pulling past the feet" thing also.  I wonder how much of that is actually still applying force, versus letting the paddle slide past the feet and out of the water smoothly.  I'd guess the not pulling past your feet advice has become so engrained that people have distorted their strokes to create a choppy, abrupt pull-out instead of a smooth, natural one, trying to adhere to that advice, which was probably originally intended to mean "don't apply force past your feet".  So letting the blade go past your feet might really improve your stroke, but the reason may be that it creates a smoother, non-abbreviated finish, leading to a better transition into the recovery, versus it adding a lot of extra length of stroking with power applied.

Another thing with technique is people will try new ones, which do work better, but they don't fully understand why, and misinterpret why it's working better, sometimes for years.  I'd love to see Travis Grant talking about his stroke a year from now to hear what he's learned.

Of course there is also pulling past feet from to points of view...Observer and paddler.

Watch very carefully and you'll notice that the paddle that goes past the feet from another craft point of view does actually stop and exit at the feet on the board in relation to the paddler himself.. (Hope that makes sense?)

What I am saying is - I believe that if you film the exact same stroke from two different cameras, one onboard looking down and one on the shore or another craft looking at the paddler, you'll see two different things!! You'll see the blade exiting at the feet on the onboard camera and you see it exiting past the feet on the other camera!

I don't think anybody has taken this into account yet? 
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2016, 10:27:57 AM »
Of course there is also pulling past feet from to points of view...Observer and paddler.

Watch very carefully and you'll notice that the paddle that goes past the feet from another craft point of view does actually stop and exit at the feet on the board in relation to the paddler himself.. (Hope that makes sense?)

What I am saying is - I believe that if you film the exact same stroke from two different cameras, one onboard looking down and one on the shore or another craft looking at the paddler, you'll see two different things!! You'll see the blade exiting at the feet on the onboard camera and you see it exiting past the feet on the other camera!

I don't think anybody has taken this into account yet?

When I get back on the water, I'm going to fully test his stroke from mine and see if it makes a difference on a short sup (8'11") like mine.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
I tested the Puakea stroke vs. my normal stroke on yesterdays fin testing. Puakea was about 2 tenths faster. Wears me out though, I was panting like a dog after 100 yards.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

rfhestdalen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 09:33:28 PM »
PonoBill said...I tested the Puakea stroke vs. my normal stroke on yesterdays fin testing. Puakea was about 2 tenths faster. Wears me out though, I was panting like a dog after 100 yards.

I guess I don't understand how the "Puakea stroke" would require more energy than say  "Larry Cain's" described stroke. 

Also, regarding technique, I do find it a little confusing physically to lead with the paddle side hip during the "catch", and then rotate the hips during the inital "power phase" (paddle side recoils back while the other hip thrusts forward), but the during the end of the power phase and beginning of the recovery, you are suppose to thrust both hips forward during the unhinging of the back. Maybe I'm trying to incorporate both stroke techniques and they are incompatible. 

Thoughts appreciated. 

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 05:43:49 AM »
My testing of the Puakea stoke is the same as PonoBill.  I think it’s faster because you get more body weight on the blade, but the pull part of the stroke is heavier. I don’t know if its body position or recruiting new muscles that makes if feel harder.

I tried Larry Cain’s technique on thrusting the hips forward at the end of the stroke while the paddle is still in the water, but it screws up my rhythm. It will take a major reprograming on my muscle memory to incorporate it. So to answer your question, I don’t think its incompatibility just a lot of drills to get the timing right. 
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 08:19:28 AM »
I don't know enough about body mechanics and efficiency to answer, I'm just giving my impression. In general, if you're going faster you're using more energy unless you dramatically increase efficiency. I don't think this stroke does that--if anything it seems less efficient but more powerful.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
Here is the latest Puakea stoke video form Evan Leong at standuppaddlesurf.net, he had some good pointers for us,  the sound quality sucks but you get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8rDOujsiM4
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »
^^ awesome. Thanks.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »
Thanks for making the video Robert. John Puakea should write a book or make a DVD on all of this.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal