Author Topic: SIC Wide Glide vs Amundsen TRT vs Custom  (Read 6723 times)

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIC Wide Glide vs Amundsen TRT vs Custom
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »
I took an Amundson TR on the Cape Cod Bay Challenge last year, which was about as close to open ocean as you can get without actually being there. The swells were constant, up to shoulder high from the left. We were all getting knocked around a lot. Everyone was falling. I think the wider boards with the lower volume noses like mine had advantages and disadvantages. When the chop was small, they were great. The sharp nose would cleave through the waves. The smaller side chop wasn't a huge deal. When conditions got worse, I felt like I was on the wrong board. Some of the paddlers on boards like the Starboard All Star, which has a lot of flotation in the nose, were doing better. Of course, we were all getting our asses kicked, but I could see how the board shape was making a difference for some people.

The same thing was happening with the front chop. When we were approaching Wellfleet, the waves were right in our faces. The higher volume boards were going over the waves, but mine was often going through. This might not have been so bad, except that the waves were slamming into my board bag, which was stopping me.

I was on the F14 for that paddle, and was doing better in the mess in the middle of the bay, than the last few miles straight into the chop in the harbor. For me the F14 is a pig into the chop, the nose just slams against it and bogs down. Might be better with larger cleaner waves where it can ride over. I ended up getting a Bark Eliminator (because I'm 250lbs) with a pointy nose that pierces the typical chop we get around here. Not sure if the Eliminator  would have been as stable as the F14 out in the mid Bay washing machine, but it does cut through the chop a lot better.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 09:14:51 PM »
Thanks very much guys.

I'm looking for a 14' board.

My red is a used one that is 30", I'm open to a TRX or bullet, but don't want to be worrying about stability.

Sounds like the Amundsen might be a bit more versatile than the wide glide across varying conditions.

Thanks again.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »
Thanks very much guys.

I'm looking for a 14' board.

My red is a used one that is 30", I'm open to a TRX or bullet, but don't want to be worrying about stability.

Sounds like the Amundsen might be a bit more versatile than the wide glide across varying conditions.

Thanks again.

The TRT is wider and more stable than the TRX or Bullet.  And either Amundsen is better on flat and upwind vs the F14.  If you can try these boards on the water -> you will notice the balance and efficiency differences immediately.  I personally like the TRX better than the TRT.  But the TRT is a very nice board nonetheless for more stability and heavier paddlers.  Really just depends what works best for you.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »
Really the TRX is one rocking board. The TRT will get old fast unless you're hauling cargo. Same with the F14. The wide boards are for the first five weeks of your sup experience. Life goes on. Do you really want to buy a board for when you sucked at this??
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:52:46 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
Hey Bill, I respect your opinion, but isn't that a little harsh for a board you haven't even seen, let alone paddled? 

I have an SIC F14, and I really like it.  No, I don't race.  Yes, there are faster boards out there.  But I paddle a lot on a windy, cold lake, and have done more downwinders there than I can remember.  I can paddle it into the bumps and glide, and have a hell of a lot of fun on it.  I like being able move around on the board, and I like the stability.  I don't come from a surf background, but I can confidently move back and forward on the board, and I'm working on cross stepping on it.  I know that for me, if I were on a less stable board, I wouldn't be able to move as much, and probably be locked into one stance, like when I'm on my tippy M&M 14. 

I picked the F14 a couple years ago after having a really miserable experience in the ocean on a Naish Glide 14.  Between the swell and the reflected cross chop, I couldn't stay up on it.  I switched boards with someone else, and then paddled away with no problem at all.  So I really believe the board design makes a huge difference.  And maybe that makes me balance challenged, but whatever. For me it's all about having fun, I don't need to be the first to finish.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 09:04:25 PM »
Huh? I love F14s. I just wouldn't get the wide one--that's the only one I haven't seen. I've been on dozens of F14s, including super-skinny customs. Which one do you have?

I hadn't heard of the F14 wide glide before this thread. I'm familiar with the V1--which was 27.25 wide but had a little more volume than the V2, wider tail, thicker. Then the V2, which is 27.5" wide, but has a thinned out nose and tail and a little less rocker, and the V3 which is 26.75" and thinned out everywhere.

I find the standard V2 F14--which are like belly buttons here in the gorge-- and the old V1, which was always just called the F14, to be super stable and easy to ride. My only reservation is in recommending an excessively wide board to someone who is stepping up in performance but whose weight and height would indicate a higher performance board might be more satisfactory over the longer term. I figure if a 6'2", 240-pound geezer with balance issues is comfortable on a board, a lighter, shorter, and probably younger guy should be fine in no time.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:28:28 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal