Author Topic: Red Inflatables - 2015 12'6" Race (28") vs 2016 13'2" Explorer (30")  (Read 4183 times)

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

Looking at buying one of these boards.  5'10" 200 lbs, intermediate paddler.

use is touring - flat and choppy ocean waters.

Wondering about the differences in:

Speed - does the additional 6" offset the 2" in narrower width of the race?

Stability - would I notice a big difference?

Overall feel, anyone who has paddled these - be interested in opinions.

Thanks

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: Red Inflatables - 2015 12'6" Race (28") vs 2016 13'2" Explorer (30")
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 10:51:33 AM »
Hi 10generation,

If I was comparing board specs to board specs, I think the 13'2" Explorer+ would be a better choice for you. 28" is not narrow but at 200lbs in choppy ocean waters, it would add unnecessary difficulty. The 13'2" is only 2" wider but it also carries it's width a long way back for a squared off tail. Mostly for load carrying space but also for stability. Stability is not just about the widest point but the outline from nose to tail. I think you'll find the Explorer+ just as fast in these conditions as you won't be wobbling as much. Always easier to put the power down when you have a solid base.

I would imagine a minor speed advantage to the 12'6" Race shape over the 13'2" Explorer+. Stability would be better on the 13'2" but more obviously better between the 2 boards than the speed advantage for the 12'6", if that makes sense.

Now, I would imagine this comparison is coming up thanks to the screaming deals going now for 2015 closeouts. One other feature to keep in mind is that from 2015 to 2016, Red Paddle Co introduced this MSL tech which basically results in boards that are 20% lighter, a fraction stiffer and look a lot better.

More on MSL here: http://greenwatersports.com/6316/what-is-msl-monocoque-structural-laminate-of-course

I get a lot of calls about this. Price is always a factor and at some of the deals right now, a pretty big factor, but the quality and finish of 2016 boards is much, much better. Back when it was only a few hundred between a 2015 and 2016 it was well worth the extra $, now though, you're looking at double to get the 13'2".

Julian
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 10:59:29 PM »
Thanks Julian, you are right on as to why I'm making the comparison.  Appreciate your insights, makes sense.

b00tsy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 01:53:37 AM »
Hey,

very interesting question, I'm currently almost considering the same thing, although to be more precise I'm wondering whether to get the 2016 Elite 14' or the Explorer 13'2''.

I'm a skinny 6'5'' 170 lbs rookie enthusiast from germany (just started a couple of weeks ago, but got plenty of other boarding experience) and my daily paddling is on slow flowing wide rivers and lakes. Very occasionally I go to the baltic sea to have some poor man's downwind fun, which is the most important feature the board should be capable of, it doesn’t have to be the best board for that, but it should be fun to do it, even if that would mean to cut back in terms of comfort or other parameters in my daily paddling action.

I currently have a Fanatic 2016 Ray Air premium 11'6'', which was good fun recently with 12 knots of wind on the baltic sea, although I don't have the experience to judge whether that board was very good or not so good under such conditions, all I can say it was fun.

Now I need a second board, cause I'm going to give the Ray to my gf. Requirements are the same you specified, if using as fishing platform it's a plus, but not necessary, poor man's downwind behavior is the main requirement. When comparing e.g. the Ray to the Fanatic race board Falcons I see that the tail (which is a rounded rect) is exactly the same, the main difference in terms of shape I recognised is that the race board Falcon is of course longer and slightly narrower (29'' vs 31'', they also have a 26.5'' Falcon).

The Red Elite 14' has a rounded tail (as the other Red Elite / Race boards), which was tested to be ok for downwinders:

The guy tested also the Red Sport 11', for which he concluded not to be ok for downwinders:

The Explorer 13'2'' has a rounded rect tail, which is wider than the Ray, but not as wide as the Sport 11' (which is also squashier). Now I'm wondering how the Explorer with the wider tail than the Ray, Falcon or Red Race / Elite behaves on the ocean... And if I wouldn't go for the Explorer whether 12'6'' or 14' would be to go for.

Best regards
b00tsy

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 03:39:57 AM »
^^ that's pretty tall to ride the RedPaddle Elite even if your weight is about right. Especially if you're a bit new to the sport.

Go try one, see how you handle it. Seriously. Only you will really know. Try it in nicely messed up conditions. Then you'll know if you want to already be on that kind of board.

The Elite 14' is a fast board which you can race on. If you find it too tricky to be fun then the Explorer 13'2 is a nice board and a lot more stable.

Re. Downwinds. Of course fun can be had but, sorry to pee in your corn flakes, no inflatable is really going to cut it. Obviously a fast and stiff one is better. RedPaddle can be inflated more (even if it takes forever) so are a bit better than others. The round rails of inflatables, even if they weren't so floppy, mean you're like a ball in a pinball machine out there on downwinds.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:44:34 AM by yugi »

b00tsy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 04:25:33 AM »
Hey Yugi,

thanks for your feedback. Of course serious downwind riding is done on hardboards, no questions asked. As that is unfortunately no option I'm just looking for a board where I can do some "poor man's downwind paddling", i.e. nothing like a Maui Moloka'i run, but a board that can be used to have fun with along a beach with some reasonable wind (whatever that would be ;), probably up to 15-20 knots).

Learning curve wouldn't be a problem as I do it on a daily basis, even if that meant snorting plenty of fresh water, although not as delicious as snorting salt water ;).

Having access to test the boards is the main problem here, I have test access to a Fanatic Falcon, but not to an Explorer, the latter being currently my favourite. I'm just wondering whether anybody has experience with the Explorer 13'2'' in some rougher windy conditions...

b.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 04:28:29 AM »
The 13’2 Explorer is a nice board. At 30” wide it is nice and stable and has a great glide as it’s long. The stability will work to your advantage for down winding. As a novice it is a good idea to start downwinding with a stable board so you are willing and able to learn to move around on the board a lot. Moving on the board is essential to downwinding, even more so on an inflatable.

The 14’ Elite is 26” wide, or should I say narrow. It’s a very fast board and great if you want to race but it will be tricky for downwind. Especially at your height. Friends downwind on it, but they are close to elite level.

Red Paddle doesn’t have a 14’ by 28”, so if you want Red paddle your choice is 26” or 30” wide. I’m a fan of taking more challenging board and learning to use it but here I’d steer you to the 30” wide Explorer. I have seen many people on narrow race boards try and downwind but they don’t dare move their feet. They never progess. Go wider and learn to move. You’ll get addicted and will soon get a real board anyway pretty soon so not a problem to start with the easier board.

I am surprised you can’t find one to test. Check RedP who the importer for Germany is, then call them up and have them send one to a local reseller for you to test. The importers do have test boards and do send them to dealers for tests. You can try both in Switzerland anytime, I know the importers and they have both boards available for test if you want to drive down but I’m guessing you are at the other end of Germany. We got a nice wind forecast for Wednesday. Or try Denmark, closer to you I imagine. I bet they speak english.

Do try the Elite in big, bad chop and see how you do on it. Then you will know. No-one else can tell how you will do. We can tell you to expect to be challenged though!

b00tsy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:49 AM »
Excellent thoughts! Very helpful. I also didn't know that the importers potentially (have to check for germany) have test boards if the shops don't provide them. Good to know. Am closer to Denmark than to Switzerland, although both countries aren't around the corner from Berlin, so I hope that the german importers have some around. On the other hand I'm kind of pissed of with RedP. as I just had a broken 3 piece paddle due to a loose vario-lock and now they say they've got no spare parts, not covered by guarantee and no good will offer: 270 bucks wasted!

b00tsy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 08:21:46 AM »
I’m a fan of taking more challenging board and learning to use it but here I’d steer you to the 30” wide Explorer. I have seen many people on narrow race boards try and downwind but they don’t dare move their feet. They never progess. Go wider and learn to move. You’ll get addicted and will soon get a real board anyway pretty soon so not a problem to start with the easier board.

Just felt what you meant with that yesterday. Tested a Fanatic Falcon hardboard 25'' narrow. Once I've found the sweet balanced spot I didn't dare to move and there were no waves, a board that narrow doesn't look like an option this year... Better being king of the hill in a merc station wagon than being uncomfortable on a ferrari...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard