Author Topic: Naish 11'4" for 1st board? Other suggestions?  (Read 1991 times)

TP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Naish 11'4" for 1st board? Other suggestions?
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »
Hey,

I'm just new to the forum, and new to the sport of stand up.  First off, I'd like to say thanks for alot of the great tips and information that I've already found on here.  It has really helped my first days on the water.

A friend and I are paddling up here in BC, Canada, and while we are right on the ocean in Vancouver, we rarely get large waves (due to the rather large island in the way), so we are either travelling for real surf, or we are out in the chop and swell of the ocean, but with out the surf part.  Water is typically quite cold.

We actually went out paddling yesterday, and had to paddle through a skim of ice for about 1/2 mile before we hit the open water.

So that leads me to my question.  My buddy has a couple of Naish 11'6", and they are great for him (at 250# +), but I'm in need of something a little smaller (I'm 165#).  Since we do so much rough water paddling, I was thinking of getting the 11'4" Naish, as from my understanding it is still something that can be surfed, but is quite stable.  I was thinking that I could learn on this board, and then keep it as a second board for friends.  I'd probably get a second considerably smaller board for surf at a later date.

There are no local shops that carry boards, and any local SUPe's (there are about 5) ride 12'+ boards so there is no way for me to demo smaller shapes.

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Naish 11'4" for 1st board? Other suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »
I think the Naish 11'4" would be a perfect boards for you for the reasons that you mentioned.. I love mine.

As for other suggestions..there's heaps of boards out there now to choose from and my advise is to not go too small with whatever you get.

Welcome to the Zone.

DJ

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
You'll love the Naish 11'4" as your first board.  It's stable, a decent paddler and rips about as much as an 11' board probably can on a wave.  I've also really enjoyed windsurfing the board.  I've had it in some sideoff conditions and the thing totally carves it up.  Enjoy....

TP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »
I've had the 11'4 for about a month now, it's been in the surf 4 or 5 days and maybe 10+ days paddling out on ocean chop (upwind/sidewind/downwind).  It is a great board, so far I'm very happy with it.  My buddy who is 250pounds was able to surf it like a short board in shoulder high waves.  I'm still learning to move that much weight around.  But it is easier to surf then the Naish 11'6" which is what my buddy bought.  It isn't quite as stable, but I find that I'm learning alot more because of it.  I'm very happy with this as a first board... easy enough to not kill the desire to learn, yet it still allows for enough difficulty to learn more about the sport, both on the waves and on flat water and downwinders.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal