Author Topic: Needing more feedback on Ke Nalu Mana  (Read 29364 times)

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Needing more feedback on Ke Nalu Mana
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »
have you tried the V-Drive Bill?
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2016, 11:44:42 PM »
Nope.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2016, 12:49:18 PM »
Yesterday and today, I did the same flat water run in our inlet with very similar conditions of wind and tide.
One day I used the Mana 82 on 90Flex, the other the Konihi 84 on Xtuf(S) shaft. The 90Flex is one inch longer than the Xtuf(S).
The Mana came about 1% faster than the Konihi so pretty dead even considering that conditions are never the same including stamina...
What I noted is that:
1) I do like the Mana 82 on the 90Flex. It is borderline for my shoulders but the nice clean feel for the catch is noticeable
2) The Konihi requires more attention to form even on the Xtuf(S). Not a bad thing in itself as one should always try to keep a good technique but it is very easy with fatigue to kind of let go. Speed on the Makai, will remind you of that pretty fast.
So I am satisfied that the Mana 82 is a good replacement for my Konihi 84 without any speed loss but with an easier going.

Cheers,
Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2016, 04:01:14 PM »
Yesterday and today, I did the same flat water run in our inlet with very similar conditions of wind and tide.
One day I used the Mana 82 on 90Flex, the other the Konihi 84 on Xtuf(S) shaft. The 90Flex is one inch longer than the Xtuf(S).
The Mana came about 1% faster than the Konihi so pretty dead even considering that conditions are never the same including stamina...
What I noted is that:
1) I do like the Mana 82 on the 90Flex. It is borderline for my shoulders but the nice clean feel for the catch is noticeable
2) The Konihi requires more attention to form even on the Xtuf(S). Not a bad thing in itself as one should always try to keep a good technique but it is very easy with fatigue to kind of let go. Speed on the Makai, will remind you of that pretty fast.
So I am satisfied that the Mana 82 is a good replacement for my Konihi 84 without any speed loss but with an easier going.

Cheers,
Luc

Luc, I haven't paddled the Kohini yet but I've had a few goes on the Mana 82 with a Ho'oloa 84 for a comparison. The Mana definitely pulls easier than the Ho'oloa with a cleaner catch, I think the power was just slightly less but over distance less taxing and cleaner through the water. So far I think I prefer the QB Trifecta 86 for longer paddles, I noticed it requires a 1 & 1/2"-2" longer shaft than the Mana for me to bury the paddle with the same motion. How would you compare the Kohini to the Trifecta? i(f you've paddled both Luc)

NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »
What I noted is that:

Cheers,
Luc

Luc, I haven't paddled the Kohini yet but I've had a few goes on the Mana 82 with a Ho'oloa 84 for a comparison. The Mana definitely pulls easier than the Ho'oloa with a cleaner catch, I think the power was just slightly less but over distance less taxing and cleaner through the water. So far I think I prefer the QB Trifecta 86 for longer paddles, I noticed it requires a 1 & 1/2"-2" longer shaft than the Mana for me to bury the paddle with the same motion. How would you compare the Kohini to the Trifecta? i(f you've paddled both Luc)

I have not paddled the Trifecta. It is somewhat out of my price range and I do like the ability to change and upgrade components of the paddle with Ke Nalu. I have grown so accustomed to it that it would be difficult for me to give it away. I have paddled the Ho'ola and there is no comparison possible with the Konihi.
Blackfish Paddles

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2016, 11:32:04 PM »
I have not paddled the Trifecta. It is somewhat out of my price range and I do like the ability to change and upgrade components of the paddle with Ke Nalu. I have grown so accustomed to it that it would be difficult for me to give it away. I have paddled the Ho'ola and there is no comparison possible with the Konihi.
[/quote]

Sounds like a solid reason to stick with Kenalu. I was able to get demo QB Trifecta at a great price but unfortunately it's turned out to be too short, I just assumed the length would be the same as my Ho'aloa but nope... (which I'll chalk up to being a newbie), luckily my wife is shorter so she gets a great paddle and I get to save up for a new one. 
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2016, 05:57:35 AM »
It's not impossible to change the shaft on the new QBs. I've undone epoxied ones w a heat gun and two guys.

I hot glue mine and tape. Not necessary to epoxy the new ones.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2016, 07:33:32 AM »
I own both the Ho'Olua and the Mana. Have paddled with the Trifecta. The Mana is better in every way.

To be completely fair, I would have to demo the Trifecta with small round shaft and no palm grip. Chances are unlikely.

Am also a cheapskate and all I had to buy was the Mana blade!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
It's not impossible to change the shaft on the new QBs. I've undone epoxied ones w a heat gun and two guys.

I hot glue mine and tape. Not necessary to epoxy the new ones.

I saw the newest QB yesterday - they aren't coming with an angle cut at the blade and looks like at least some will be cut at the handle. They taper down from the blade to a consistent taper approaching the grip.
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2016, 10:39:40 AM »
I own both the Ho'Olua and the Mana. Have paddled with the Trifecta. The Mana is better in every way.

To be completely fair, I would have to demo the Trifecta with small round shaft and no palm grip. Chances are unlikely.

Am also a cheapskate and all I had to buy was the Mana blade!

I disliked the Trifecta at first, it felt weird pushing through the water. I found the shaft length on that paddle was critical - has to be longer than my Ho'oloa to work well. Also I like to do longer distances so for me it was less taxing on my shoulders. The like the compact shape of the Mana and it's probably a little cleaner pushing water than the Trifecta if your technique isn't solid. (mine's not so I notice my mistakes more with the QB) :)
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2016, 02:36:16 PM »
I have a Konihi 84 with 100 flex shaft. Considering changing that with Mana 82 and 90 flex for long distance (10-30 km) paddle sessions on flat and choppy water conditions but no downwind. I weigh 80 kg and ride a 14' Allstar. Is it a good idea?

Also have a Ho'oloa 84. For what purpose do you use this paddle? I am not sure if I like it.

For surfing I use the wiki with xtuf and it is really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2016, 05:49:20 PM »
In my opinion, the Konihi is better than the Mana for distance paddling. Your mileage WILL vary, but I find the Mana requires a very deep Puakea stroke to deliver the same power as the Konihi. The Konihi is more forgiving for flubbed strokes--it still catches well and pulls hard. The Mana catches like crazy but doesn't pull as strong unless you shove it down hard. With my ADD that happens about a third of the time.

Where the mana shines is downwind and surfing. I took my Mana paddle apart to pack it for the Turks and Caicos trip, so I used a shortened Konihi 84 to surf today. I caught half as many waves today with the Konihi and worked twice as hard to catch them. I missed that early, positive catch I had yesterday. Pulls you right in. Really an amazing surf paddle.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:53:48 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »
In my opinion, the Konihi is better than the Mana for distance paddling. Your mileage WILL vary, but I find the Mana requires a very deep Puakea stroke to deliver the same power as the Konihi. The Konihi is more forgiving for flubbed strokes--it still catches well and pulls hard. The Mana catches like crazy but doesn't pull as strong unless you shove it down hard. With my ADD that happens about a third of the time.

Hello Bill,
While I would say that it is totally true in regards of the Mana 90, the line is a lot more blurred regarding the Mana 82/Konihi 84.
I do find the Mana 82 "stroke" easier to maintain over a longer period and also more forgiving when in confused chop.
The output seems to hold higher after some time then with the Konihi 84.
That said, I do paddle the Mana 82 almost as deep as the Konihi 84 and I am a puny sloppy paddler of 165 lbs.

Cheers,
Luc
Blackfish Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2016, 06:01:26 PM »
I haven't tried the 82, probably should.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2016, 06:03:42 PM »
I haven't tried the 82, probably should.
That would be great. Your experience is always valued....
Blackfish Paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal