Author Topic: Needing more feedback on Ke Nalu Mana  (Read 29320 times)

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Needing more feedback on Ke Nalu Mana
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »
So I'm in the market for a new paddle.

I've been using Ke Nalu paddles for years now.  The last couple seasons I've been using the Konihi 95", but I've always felt it's a little too large for me.  So over the last few weeks I've put a number of sessions and many miles in, using my wife's Konihi 84" - just to really dial in what works for me.  I've found that I like the feel of the 84" - it's much easier to paddle with in that I don't have to use so much strength, however because my cadence is now higher it's a little harder to keep up my stamina.  I also feel like I really have to concentrate extra hard to feel the catch or it feels like it's slipping and so then I'm almost forced to slow my stroke in order to use better technique and feel the catch.  With my 95" the catch feels great but it just requires a little too much strength, and I'm always feeling like I want to paddle with just a little higher cadence.  In summary, the 84 seems like it requires a little too much stamina - and the 95 requires a little too much strength.

I've been following the feedback on this (and another forum) for the new Mana.  It would seem that the 90" would be the perfect fit for me.  However, it seems like most of the feedback is just initial impressions from people who have just paddled a couple times with it.  And there really hasn't been a lot of feedback after that.  There was an awful lot more interest and feedback for the Konihi paddle - so I'm wondering if this Mana isn't really that great after all?  Part of my consideration is that there are other paddles which may fit what I'm looking for, but can be purchased for a couple hundred dollars less (here in Canada). 

So I would like to hear more from anyone who has the Mana, now that you've spent more time paddling with it.

By the way, the vast majority of my paddling is flatwater (lakes).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:11:25 PM by JP »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Needing more feedback on Ke Nalu Mana
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
I don't know how it will be in flatwater. I know it's killer for downwind. I suspect if the Konihi 84 feels good to you then my reservations about flatwater might not apply. To me the Mana is all catch and no middle. The first hit and forst ten inches of pull it's like it's stuck in concrete and I get super acceleration from it. The next 10 inches it feels like a Wiki or a Konihi 84--too small for me. Maybe that's good for you.

the way I use it is to go really hard for three or four strokes to get into a swell--total magic for that. My cadence for these sprints is WAY up and the effort level is too. I can chase down stuff I'd never get normally. I knocked seven minutes off my best ever time for a Viento run--a run I do all the time. 7.5 to 7.8 miles, I did 1:16 two times and 1:21 once where my previous record is 1:23. It didn't burn me out. After each of those 1:16's I grabbed a bite to eat and did another.

So for me, it's magic, not sure how it would work for you.  rod Parmenter tried to get me to trade a few days ago--he wanted to try it. I'm normally okay with stuff like that. He was paddling a Konihi 95 about the same length as mine--my goto paddle for the last two years. I said no.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 06:01:03 PM »
I have 2 Mana's They are a great paddle the 82 works great in the surf light quick The 90 replaced my Kohini 95
I'm not a racer but its a great great paddle just feels good
Sorry I can't be more technical than Pono Bill
But I too am not trading my Mana for a Konihi which I loved in both the surf/ Flatwater & East Coast DW

If I can be any further help let me know

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
Ponobill, Jim K, CNSKI big dudes!

I am 5'8" and 150 pounds after pizza!

Am using my small mana for flatwater paddling a JP Race 12'6" and a Focus 14' Bluefin in the open ocean and in coastal tidal waters.

I owned several different Ke Nalu paddles, Kialoas, and have demo'd Werner and QB.

It has become my favorite. The aspect ratio is perfect (for me)  Not as long as my Kialoas, but superior to my Wiki, and my Ho'oluas.

I did not like the Konihi, too loose and fluttery for me.

The catch is firm, positive, and as I have a fairly short pull, I haven't felt it getting weak in the latter part of stroke.

Data from my Vivioactive seems to show my times, and averages  on known distances are actually faster than either my Ho'olua, my old Lopez Kialoa (sold!), and my newer higher aspect Kialoa.

Three to seven miles is what I am doing for my cardio rehab. An occasional rec race, missed the M2O..

The QB Trifecta felt similar, but I did not like the tapered oval shaft and palm grip at all.

If I was a billionaire I would order a QB Trifecta 81 with the small round shaft and a T handle and do a side by side comparison..But I am not.

For me the search is now over. Four years and too many paddles later Whomp there it is!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:59:07 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
I know what you mean about the 84 Konihi by the way. I discovered I could go a lot faster with a 84 than with any other paddle. By a substantial margin. But when I took it for long paddles--either racing or downwinding, I was much slower than the 95. I simply couldn't keep my concentration up enough to make the paddle work over longer distances. I'd drop into a normal cadence and be slow. I suspect the Mana 90 might be that way for me in flatwater, but for Downwind it's killer. But I'm a big dude--6'2" 240.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »
I had the identical experience as Pono with the 84 Konihi. I exchanged it for the 95 which I ended up being much happier with. But, when I could keep the cadence up, the 84 was extremely fast.

I wondered if it would be a good flatwater race paddle. Fortunately, we don't have any flatwater here, even when there's no wind. So, I won't ever have to torture myself with that 84 on a flat, distance paddle. But, on glass, like you get on a windless day in the Gorge, one of those 84's would be super fun to try out.

I'm tempted to get a Mana 90 and just plug it into one of my Ke Nalu 100 flex shafts. But, I really don't need another paddle right now. Maybe next year.

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »
Thanks Pono and Covesurfer.  I agree that the Konihi 84" is fast.  I think my problem is the same - I just can't maintain the high cadence required over a longer distance.  A blade with a better catch, where I could slow my cadence just a little would be better.  I also think it has something to do with my weight. I'm not that heavy at 185-190 lbs, but I'm heavy enough that I think I lose more glide between strokes than someone lighter.  So although the 95" Konihi has great catch and power through the pull, my cadence is just a little too slow to be really efficient over a longer distance (plus I just lose my strength with it, over distance).  Whereas with the 84", I have to keep a high cadence to be fast - but then I feel like, to be more efficient with it, I have to slow my cadence so I have better catch and less slipping.  I hope that all makes sense??  So, it sounds like the 90" Mana would be the right balance between firm catch/power through my pull/and ability to use a higher cadence than the 95" - that I am looking for.  I was hoping to hear that others have found that was basically what they have experienced with it.

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
And thanks mrbig.  I would assume that even though we are different in size - your experience with the 82" Mana would hopefully be the same with the 90" for me.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »
Also a feather weight at 6' and 165 lbs. The Mana 90 is a lot easier to keep a higher cadence with, than the Konihi 95.
I still have to try the Mana 82 as fast pace flat water paddle instead of the Konihi 84.
After that I want to see which one strike the best balance between catch, pull and cadence for longer paddling.
The Konohi 84 is just too demanding for anything past a few kms and it is a lot easier to maintain a decent catch with the Mana. The Konihi requires some attention and it is not always the easiest in cross chop conditions
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:48:46 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
Funny that paddles have become so specialized, but it's a sign that paddlers are getting better. Just like any fin works when you first start surfing and then suddenly you're changing fins to suit certain waves, or your mood, or both.

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »
I think I may be able to just order the Mana 90 blade (and just switch out my shaft).  I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that the length of the Mana 90 blade and the Konihi 95 blade (measured to the joint where it connects to the shaft) are the same?  The Konihi 95 is 20".

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »
YES, they are the same length. I have both the Konihi 95 and Mana 90 blade. Just looked and measured them. Both are 20". Your question has been confirmed. You are good to go!

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »
I think I may be able to just order the Mana 90 blade (and just switch out my shaft).  I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that the length of the Mana 90 blade and the Konihi 95 blade (measured to the joint where it connects to the shaft) are the same?  The Konihi 95 is 20".

For future reference, you can find that info. here: http://www.kenalu.com/paddle_choose.html the blade length information isn't up to the ferrule but you can generally add 2" to get the full length (for example; the Mana 90 is listed at 18" + 2" (20") gives you the length of the blade assembled).

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »
I did tried my new Mana 82 yesterday on flattish water.
Cannot comment on the speed with only one run on the GPS and the tide effect.
My first remark is that it is an "easier" paddle than the K84 that requires a little bit less focus on planting the blade for the catch.
I used a Xtuf(s) for most of the run but also tried the 90Flex (we have two blades).
I think that I got used to the Xtuf(s) with the Konihi so still prefer it on the Mana 82.
I feel that the flex spread the output more equally during the pull.
Not sure if I do make sense, but with the 90Flex the different phases are more obvious and you feel a decrease as you go farther into the pull. It seems to me that the Xtuf(s) maintain a similar force during most of the pull, "spreading" the output/effort.
Today I am hoping to try the Mana 90 with a 100Flex for downbreezing/downwindin. Bill found out that he liked it better but I am 60% of its built so might be too hard on me.

I did push hard on the Mana 82 but with the tide at my back and got to some very respectable top speed (for me not in absolute).
Based on one run only the blade seems as fast than the Konihi 84 for the average paddler i.e. me.
It would take some paddling in more controlled conditions to get a better idea - lake with no wind.
In particular it would be interesting to know if the speed is a linear function of the cadence or if it drops "sharply" like the Konihi 84.
If it is a linear function than it my books it would make this blade "superior to the Konihi 84 for my use.
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 06:19:48 PM »
Another downwind with the Mana 90 but this time on the 100Flex.
Obviously I do not have Bill's technique so the 100Flex was fine but I do prefer the Xtuf(s). I feel that I get better pull to the bumps.
Granted I was under-fined so had the tail of the board slip from time to time which might have reduce the efficiency of the pull.

Blackfish Paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard