Author Topic: iSUP Recommendations for Wife Please  (Read 3932 times)

ATX Golder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
iSUP Recommendations for Wife Please
« on: August 03, 2016, 10:09:19 AM »
I have an all around fiberglass board, SUP ATX 11'6" Navigator.  My girls love going out on the board with me.  Now I'm looking to get my wife an iSUP.  She is not super excited about it, but she is willing.  I'm thinking iSUP because she is tiny and she would never deal with carrying a fiberglass board so I'd have to do all the loading and unloading.  Also I'm getting pretty comfortable with strapping my board to the rack on my minivan but I don't think I'd like stacking two boards up there.

Like I said she is tiny (5'2"), generally athletic but not a huge water lover.  We went for a 1 hour paddle on a crappy rental board and she did OK but she was very slow.  I'm hoping she improves quickly.  If there are boards with better glide than others that would be a big priority.

Paddling will be on the lakes around Austin.  Rarely in the ocean for a trip to the Gulf.  I'm also thinking that maybe I'll use this if I ever do a river overnight trip where using the fiberglass board would be risky for damage on rocks.

Anyway what are your recommendations for a good iSUP, hopefully no more than $800?     

Looks like there are even a few decent options on Amazon:

iRocker 10' - looks like a bit more touring shape
ten toes weekender 10'
ISLE Airtech 10'

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: iSUP Recommendations for Wife Please
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:40:24 AM »
I'd give her more time on yours, and demo a few options before plunking down 800 on an inflatable.  My wife was not "completely sold" on her first outing, and she's very game for most things.  It took her 2 or 3 sessions to enjoy it, and the first wave she caught sealed the deal. 

Rivers, lakes, and a bit of ocean; you have a lot of different environments to satisfy with one.  Why not try a costco board?  Not perfect anywhere but at least you're only out of pocket $350 and you'd probably be able to sell it for most of the investment or return it when it "snaps in half" due to mysterious circumstances.  :o

Finally, with some decent straps and good technique, I wouldn't worry too much about 2 boards on a factory rack.  I've had as many as 4 on both a highlander and 4 runner with factory racks and no problems. Use the force. Trust the minivan.  8)

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:39:17 PM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:42:43 PM by jjdub »
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
Yes, Lokahi have released their WE (water explorer) boards. More info on them here: http://greenwatersports.com/shop/brand/lokahi
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

ATX Golder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:15:04 PM »
Wow that Lokahi 9'5" looks downright tiny and not very stable with the guy on it in the video.  I see that there are bigger thicker options, if I go for this one I think I'd go for the 10'6", the prices on these are very nice.

One thing I've noticed is that many of the cheaper iSUPs are light on tie down points which makes them useless for a potential overnight trip (which I think is a stretch anyway).  The iRocker has extra tie downs that are also positioned so you can use them for a kayak seat you can buy.  Not sure if the wife would appreciate sitting as an option.  It seems most of the iSUPs on Amazon have many great reviews, but not sure I trust a brand that is mostly selling through Amazon. 

I'm also considering the SUP ATX inflatable, I would trust it much more than the Amazon options and its only a bit more expensive.

Anyway I'll be thinking on this one for a while.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 11:46:09 PM »
I'd consider a lightweight hard board for her.  Stacking two boards on your roof is no biggie once you get used to it.  IMO it beats pumping up an inflatable every time you go out.  Also hard boards perform better & if you get her some small, cheap inflatable, she'll prefer using your board anyway. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 10:42:54 AM »
Consider tie Imagine Icon I've seen the board in the better DLX (inflatable) construction for as little as $700 (new). Your wife should be one on either size but think the 10'2" version would be better for her long term.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 12:16:44 PM »
I've been through this with bicycles and paddleboards with my GF. 

LIghtweight and easily abused/loaded by her, I'm with you on the inflatable.

Something to consider before buying though.  If you are on a hard 11'6" board and she is on a 10'6" inflatable she will never keep up with you unless you are paddling at the most unfun of paces.  You get bored, she gets frustrated, not good.

This spring we replaced two waterlogged 12' soft tops with inflatables, a gusu touring 12' and an isle explorer 11'.  I was looking forward to the gusu, I have spent the last 3 months exclusively on the explorer.  We are much better matched in speed, which is why she wont let me have the longer gusu board back, even though it is a bit heavier than the isle. 

Try as many as you can and hopefully you can try some longer inflatables with her so she isn't paddling at a sprint just to keep up with your normal pace.  Otherwise buy yourself a non gliding mini-barge for the time you two spend together.   8)

PS we keep the inflatables in the garage, inflated.  I find that about ten pumps each once a week keeps them at the 16 psi range I want. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal