Author Topic: Paddle problem on cutbacks.  (Read 4043 times)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle problem on cutbacks.
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
This summer I have been working on what I think of as the three different paddle technique options during frontside cutbacks:
1. Doing a hard sweep with the paddle on the toeside to help the board turn into the cutback. In this technique, the paddle is being used as a turning force to help push the board around, or even to pull against to break the fins free.
2. Skim the paddle lightly back along the top of the lip at the start of the cutback until it is directly behind you so that you can basically sit on it during the latter phases of the cutback to get more body angle on the heel rail. In this case the paddle is not being used as a turning force, but as something to lean on in order to get more leverage on the heel rail during the later portion of the turn as you are coming back towards the whitewater. Colin McPhillips is my favorite image for this move: I love the way that he uses the paddle to help carve the heel rail around the cutback, rather than the technique so many people use to just pry the board around with the paddle.
3. The cross-bow paddle move, in which the paddle is passed over to the heel side of the board to act as a center pivot for the turn.

For various reasons, the variation that I am working on the most right now is #2. But here is the problem I am starting to run into.
As the carve starts, I sweep the paddle back along the surface of the lip with the convex surface of the blade along the water so that it planes, and then once it is behind my hips, I lean or almost sit against the paddle so that I can lean harder on my heel rail during the last half of the turn as I am coming back towards the curl. So far so good, but at least half the time I come out of this move with my paddle blade caught in the loop of my leash which totally messes up my ability to lean out on my paddle on the toe side as I rebound off the whitewater. Yesterday this happened five out of six waves in a row; drove me crazy. A lot of the time, Colin who is the master of this move is not using a leash, so I cannot see in the videos how he would deal with it.

Does anyone have any insights on how to avoid this problem?
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle problem on cutbacks.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »
Sorry no insights on getting tripped up by the leash but sure liked watching that vid.

Man, that guy just kills it. Will be watching more of that, lots of good stuff. What a ripper

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »
How long is your leash?
I suspect you have a very short leash, that will loop around your blade.
May be as simple as trying a longer leash?

Another question..... when you start your sweep, the paddle starts outside the leash loop.... do you lift it up and reposition... or maintain contact and sweep in one motion? If you maintain contact with the water, but still loop the blade it points to short leash IMO

You didn't discuss option #4
Switch paddle to the heelside and drag as an outrigger to support your extension (pic)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 05:11:54 PM »
Sorry no insights on getting tripped up by the leash but sure liked watching that vid.

Man, that guy just kills it. Will be watching more of that, lots of good stuff. What a ripper
Colin is awesome and a great person. A real pleasure to surf with. Zero ego and total inspiration with his abilities...
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 07:50:02 PM »
Man!! That is some beautifully loose and precise surfing! Not to mention graceful. That pivot cutback (#2) has eluded me so far. I've never even tried it yet. I do have the other two cutties down at this point. The cross-bow took a while to learn and I had to force it at first. Sweep cutties are def the easiest and feel quite natural.
I like that now I actually have names for the cutbacks after readin' your thread!
The sweep, pivot, and cross-bow! Very cool!
If you feel so inclined, Nalu-sup, wander over the Gen Discussion and check out my new summer vid "Lightweight". I manage to pull off a coupla #1s and #3s in it!  :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:56:43 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:08:01 PM »
Waist leash might help. Worth a try..

Absolutely spectacular surfing! Thanks for the post..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:15:16 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 08:36:07 PM »
I like that move too--Junya McGurn is a master of it, and I copied him. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to sit on my paddle when that goes a bit wrong, and I broke three paddles doing it, so I don't do it so much anymore. Junya braces with his body angled back more and has the paddle well away from his body. Haven't had a problem with leashes. I use a waist leash, though I wasn't when I was doing a lot of what I call a paddle brace cutback. I doubt that a long waist leash (ten foot) would catch. I mostly wear the waist leash for big waves, but it's actually superior for any kind of surfing. I even use waist leashes for downwinding now because it's less fuss.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply!
covesurfer-Yeah, Colin is my favorite rider. He rarely jams a turn, and keeps his speed and flow going through the tightest moves, which to me is the bottom line. If a turn is jammed tight and it kills the speed and flow, no points in my book. The other great thing is that some of his best videos are on boards that are 8'6" to 9'0" short board outlines. It gives hope to us old guys who cannot ride 7'2" sunk up to your knees; that we can still pull off high level moves on boards in that 8 ½'  to 9' range.
STC- The leash length is something that I had not thought of; good detective work. My leashes are mostly 7' to 8', and I am not sure about the one on that board. I used a 6' leash recently in Mex that I think contributed to getting stitches for a deep fin gash in my arm while protecting my head; won't do that again. I don't like to go too long with leashes as a way of protecting other people in the water if I lose my board with less than ideal control. When you say short or long, what lengths are you thinking of?
surfercook- Yes, I have enjoyed watching your videos, and noticed the variety in your cutbacks. In terms of naming them, I am not sure that I go along with the idea of naming Colin's cutback a pivot, since what I love about it is how carved it is. On a different naming note, check out the Paddlwoo site if you have not already; lots of great stuff on there. Eric on that site wants to start a trend of calling cross-bow paddle turns "slingshot turns"; not sure if that will catch on, but now you know what it means if you run across the term.
mrbig and Pono- Good idea; I bet a waist leash would solve the problem. Now I just have to get one, and decide if I can handle the extra vibe in some lineups from bringing one more unconventional thing to the lineup besides a paddle. :-\ ::)
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »
Almost forgot; STC, the picture you posted is what I meant in #3. Your picture was worth a thousand of my confusticating words.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 03:50:05 AM »
Nalu.... for short I was thinking 6 to 7' range, where the loop would possibly be close enough to tangle with your paddle
And I agree... I  use a leash 8 to 9' because of 2 things....
1- Control/speed of retrieval  (for me a 6' leash is too quick... and potentially dangerous)
2- Longer leashes can wrap around your neck before the wave "yank" hits you.....
I wore an 11' leash in some well OH surf to keep from breaking a leash, I was riding a 10'6, so I figured a long leash was safer.... WRONG... I almost decapitated myself. I was soooooo lucky that I was able to "pop" the leash over my head, the split second before it hung me. I ran in and swapped for shorter leash  :o

Even on my 10'6, a 9' leash is plenty and more than enough to run to the nose when you add in Rail saver/leash string and ankle cuff.

And yeah..... I watched Colin at a Pro SUP contest held in 5' chop. He turned water into wine that day..... while everyone else was struggling, Colin flowed calmly through the mess, with a style that was head and shoulders above the rest. Pretty slick dude! Made me happy to see the Hobie RAW shredding in a Pro event.... I always loved that board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal