Author Topic: Why I want and need surf gear to be made from clean materials  (Read 9042 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Why I want and need surf gear to be made from clean materials
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:50:49 PM »
Even though I have been moving in this direction for many years I still come up quite short, as currently all my boards are made of epoxy and carbon (by most accounts this is a big improvement from PU boards).  I am doing my best to change this, I succeed when I make my own gear as I use plant based materials; bamboo, hemp, other wood, and resin that is plant based.

Cutting and sanding carbon and feeling that itch on my skin after told me there is something unhealthy about this stuff.  The smell from a tube of 5 minute epoxy said to me this stuff must be horribly toxic  When I work with wood and plants my skin feels natural and with plant based resin my nose breathes clean.

This video reminds of why I am committed to surf gear that is renewable (can be regenerated within a generation), biodegradable (the earth can naturally recycle it and it has a healthy place in the food chain), and non-toxic (the collection and production of the materials does not pollute our air, land, water, animals, or people):

The question that comes up for me is why have we collectively chosen performance gear at the expense of our oceans?  I saw a Ted talk where the presenter said a farmer can claim their food is 100% organic, but no fishermen in the world can claim their fish is 100% organic.  This statement woke me up to the depth of the problem: every fish and plant in the ocean lives, breathes, eats, and sleeps in plastic garbage.  It seems that when we eat fish we are eating plastic.
https://www.ted.com/talks/capt_charles_moore_on_the_seas_of_plastic

I made this video of a beach clean up in the San Francisco Bay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvflBM49PbU

What to do?  Making my own board out of wood or plants seemed quite a bit beyond my current skill set.  So I started with something I can do and is manageable for me now.  On my video camera pole project I started with aluminum and then carbon fiber and plastic, I gradually moved to bamboo and hemp for the structure and I just made a ball head out of wood.  The next steps are to make the attachment pieces out of wood and then experiment with adhesives that are 100% plant or animal based.  The more I work in this way the more I suspect I could make my own boards out of wood or plants, and there are some really interesting techniques for making them almost as light as foam boards.  Paddles seem totally doable, I am pretty sure I could make one completely out of bamboo and it would only be a few ounces heavier...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Why I want and need surf gear to be made from clean materials
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:02:14 PM »
There  are  some  companies  in  San  Diego  that  are  researching  ways  to  make  foam  out  of  non-petroleum  based  sources . I  think  UCSD  is  making  a  foam  out  of kelp.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 02:16:23 AM »
Build a board. The waste is staggering. It blew my mind how much waste I created.

And yes, the foam is key to a more sustainable surf craft. Marko is recycled which is a good step. The next best thing is to build them to last and avoid the landfill.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:12:59 AM »
I had mentioned a couple alternatives to petro derived neoprene in another thread but maybe worth repeating here. Yulex (Patagonia) and Geoprene (Matuse), the only issue is increased cost.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
Great comments!

Always seems like amazing innovation in surf and skate from San Diego.   Upping the plant content of foam makes sense as it fits into existing board building shops.

I hear you on waste, great point.  When I was buying the little plastic action cam attachment pieces they came individually double or triple wrapped in plastic bags, the packaging waste was sickening, and the lifespan of the pieces was quite short.  The flip side to waste is that green "waste" is food for other critters and plants.   I  bought some bamboo from a local farm that was in their scrap pile, I cut the pieces that worked for me and then when working on it my discards ended up in the woods or in the compost.  What eats plastic?

Love that those companies are stepping up with better wetsuits.  Axxe is another company. 

Cost is important, the true cost of petroleum based products is externalized, as in we don't pay the fee to clean up pollution from these products as it ends up on the beach or in the air and water.  I  remember reading that Henry Ford built an electric car but because gas has been subsidized and the exhaust can be "dumped" anywhere electric cars were shelved.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 12:04:18 PM »
What eats plastic?

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-bacteria-eat-plastic-20160310-story.html

The industry I work in is recycling and waste remediation.  New tech comes out all the time.  We're pretty excited for all the new stuff coming our way... just hoping for a chance to use it in my lifetime.

A while ago I had a bitchfest about the state of California and their CYA mentality when it came to laws regarding CRT monitors.  The state's response to our company and others calling them out is found here:

https://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/UniversalWaste/CRTEmergencyRegulation.cfm

if you read the article they attempt to placate our industry with double speak and empty paragraphs.  They have no answer, and don't even offer much of a temporary collection option until tech catches up.  Yet these are the same morons that want to fine us $80,000 for having a slight discrepancy in out labeling of electronic waste on 4 pallets in our yard.  Their jobs are clearly only there to collect fines and fees, not to make things better.  What I'd "like to" do to the lot of them would be a felony, even stated aloud.

I guess my point is that nearly everyone is for a cleaner environment, but until you really, actually try to change things for the better and run into the stupidity in government, you don't realize how [expletive deleted] hard it is to get things going in the right direction (Or how much money is involved in keeping the status quo).

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
SlatchJim I hear your frustration. 

It always amazes me how often bureaucracy turns things on its head.  It seems like it is a no win situation as if the bureaucrats were to allow something and it causes problems they get blamed.  Last year I was pushed/fired/forced out/quit a job I had for most all of my life.  I worked for about 30 years in the food industry that is regulated and inspected by the federal government, and dealing with that system was quite painful.  I was often pulling my hair out at the insanity of it.  It was sad to see people outside the industry call for more regulations and more inspectors, like pouring gasoline on fire the solution is worse than the problem.  I am so glad I got out of that suffocating system, the crazy thing about bureaucrats is that everyone I talked to didn't like their job - the main reason they did it was the security and benefits (and for some the power).  Looking back I have a hard time seeing any benefit to that kind of career path. 

On the plus side I remember reading the Danny Hess ( http://hesssurfboards.com ) story and how he started a career building houses.  He got so fed up dealing with inspectors and the ridiculous codes and requirements that he left that industry and started making wood surfboards.  He wanted the freedom to be creative and build what makes sense to him.

I am doing something similar and the freedom of being able to have an insight and follow my intuition is awesome and wonderful.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal