Author Topic: NYPD is the Best!  (Read 5114 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
NYPD is the Best!
« on: August 02, 2016, 06:13:01 AM »
This is why I like the NYPD, they really understand the law and know how to set priorities.  What a great public service announcement.

I used to run up and down the Hudson and East River in small boats and can tell you from personal experience that Casey and Roy's crossing experience is typical of the traffic that you would encounter.  (And for you sharpies; I am not that Roy).

https://youtu.be/4iLvQ-XTOX8
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:19:10 AM by Bean »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: NYPD is the Best!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:43:14 AM »
I've been though the East River three times in sailboats. It has some of the strongest tidal currents on the east coast. It looked like they might have crossed at around high slack. If you tried to cross it during peak tide, you would reach the other side a mile down the river.

Rather than attempting a crossing, I think I would run up or down the river with the tide and return when the tide changed. I've always thought it would be fun to explore the Harlem River which separates Manhattan from the mainland, or maybe the Bronx River. I'm not sure how safe that would be. I picture images of being shot at from the tops of building and kids throwing rocks. For all I know, they are probably perfectly safe rivers to travel.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:58:33 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »
That's the biggest bunch of d-bag hipster BS i have ever seen.  I want to grab those two losers and shake them....

No Concept of tide or current
Holding paddle backwards
Ignoring a very responsible shop owner telling them Hells Gate / East River is pretty much the most dangerous waterway in NYC-
Going directly perpendicular to traffic...on a Sunday when East river traffic is probably 5x  worse than a weekday in summer

NYPD gave them a lift to keep them out of the water.  I can tell you as someone who has boated and Jet- skiied Hells Gate many times, and takes that ferry (in background) twice a week-

NYPD will do just about anything they can try to try discourage recreational traffic on small craft in this waterway- and rightly so- or we would have 100 dead bags of Brooklyn Man-Buns floating face down in the river every weekend.

Go back to Rockaway with your $700 7s pop out fun-shape and leave SUPing to people who respect the sport enough to know our own limits and own our own boardshorts.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 08:06:32 AM »
Never mind Casey and Roy, my interest in this is how well the NYPD handled the situation.  This one's for the cops, they did a great job.  Unlike towns like Seattle for instance, NYC does not operate under an overprotective "nanny-state" umbrella.  They allow personal choice and stick to the law, PFD required, end of story.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »
Bean- I can assure you...this video doesn't depict how NYPD normally handles this type of situation.

They are extremely tough on small craft on the east river. 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:36:25 AM »
I agree on the general douchiness of those two. No criticism of the NYPD, who seemed to handle themselves with restraint. But these two guys bug me.

Okay, I paddle the Hudson a lot. I have never been in that area, technically the East River, for a couple of reasons. Part of it is the tide, like NorthJerz mentioned. They can be wicked. There's an area north of there called Spuyten Duyvil, which means "spit at the devil." It's name comes from the Dutch era when some fool tried to swim that area (technically the Harlem River, but the same waterway) and drowned. He spat at the devil and lost.

That's a narrow crossing, actually. Maybe a mile. This distance is no big deal. You can walk it on the Broooklyn Bridge, which is in a lot of the shots. The thing is, there's no recovery point on the Manhattan side of the river. Those guys had to climb a fence, which really isn't okay. There is a launch point on the other side of Manhattan, and I think there's a rough beach somewhere near there on the Manhattan side, but to just expect to climb the guardrail is reckless.

There's is boat traffic, which is intense. And that's not small boats. It's big ferries and yachts. In that narrow area the wakes and waves bounce off the hard shoreline and create crazy conditions. That could make the climbing up the guardrail a board-destroying experience.

There are some responsible people on the other side of Manhattan (Manhattan Kayak) paddling responsibly and safely. They even lead tours out into the harbor, time with the tides and currents. These guys in the video just did it without thinking the whole thing through. They're lucky the NYPD was there.

I tutored a paddler who got pulled out into NY harbor by the tide. She had to get rescued by the Coast Guard. She posted here, and I took her out near me and showed her some tips on safe paddling. The truth is, that's not a great area in general, and to just jump in the water like that is a stunt. I hope nobody repeats this.

And if people really want to SUP around NYC, call Manhattan Kayak. They know what the hell they're doing.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 08:36:51 AM »
I know NJS.  Up until just a few years ago I ran my 22' GW up the NY waterways, day and night.  There is actually a pretty good striped bass fishery there (and no, you don't eat those). We were not big fans of jet skiers either. ;D 

Post 9/11, the NYPD cracked down on small boats mostly from an anti terrorism perspective and not necessarily from a safety perspective.  For instance, you're not going to get boarded by NYPD so they can check the expiration date on your signal flares. 

My point is, the NYPD has a pretty good filter for things that just don't matter.  Now, the parking commission, that's a different story.   

IS, no one is condoning the paddle crossing here.  This is more of a cautionary tale.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:40:25 AM by Bean »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 09:02:43 AM »
You're right, Bean. I took it a little personal.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 09:20:23 AM »
That's the biggest bunch of d-bag hipster BS i have ever seen.  I want to grab those two losers and shake them....

I agree they're d-bags but hipsters?  I must have a very different analogy of hipster. 

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 09:34:13 AM »

I agree they're d-bags but hipsters?  I must have a very different analogy of hipster.

Sorry S4F...my immediate instinct of hating on all things Brooklyn looped in hipsters..although with the Hair Band, wayfarers, 3 series BMW jumping on the Sup wagon...hes just in my general hate category i guess :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 09:45:44 AM »
Hipsters d-bags fo' sure. I'm amazed they made it across, though it would be a piece of cake for anyone with reasonable experience. the hair thing, the serious camera crap. The endless, self-absorbed setup shots. Puke.

Cops were nice though. Sad to see that hair boy reproduced. Cute kid though, even though she's doomed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »
What ever else  they are  one thing  for sure is they are stupid. one fall cold water no leashes no life jackets. NYPD should've issued tickets.  Yep there is no life guard in the gene pool.

The whole thing is a bad example and bad representation of paddle boarders as a whole.

For all of you reading this who are not experienced paddle boarders or watermen  ( beginners)  Don't follow their example where a pdf and a leash  be smart learn and develop skills .
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
NYPD is the Best!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »
One correction, wave, and I agree with almost a everything you said. The NY Harbor water is actually pretty warm. It's about 76°F this time of year.

Internet pedantry award goes to me!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »
I was going to say the same thing. The water isn't cold this time of year, especially inland where they are. I'd be more worried about the pollution.

They were wearing leashes.

I don't think they should be stopped from doing it. They're not hurting anyone.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:33:53 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 11:33:30 AM »
...endless, self-absorbed setup shots...

I've looked at some of his daily vlogs, he's a modern day marketing machine, I could be wrong but would bet dollars to donuts that you have more in common than not.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal