Stand Up Paddle > SUP Safety

Make sure you have a life jacket with you.

(1/10) > >>

ZombieOTTR:
http://m.wmur.com/news/drowning-investigated-in-weare/40965196

2 paddleboarders drowned over the weekend in Weare, NH. Both did not have a life jacket.

Ichabod Spoonbill:
Really sad. Beginners need to be wearing those PFDs!

Night Wing:
Besides not wearing life jackets, probably didn't have leashes attached to their legs either. At least with a leash, the woman (and man) once in the water could have swam to their boards which float. Unless of course, they couldn't swim or panic set in and panic overrides everything (judgement).

Where I live in Texas, a sup is considered a "vessel" by both the US Coast Guard and our own Texas Parks & Wildlife Department (TPWD) so there are rules. If one is on a sup paddling on a private lake and/or pond, a life jacket (PFD) is NOT required to be onboard or worn. But on any body of public water, a life jacket has to be on board or worn by the paddler.

A sup surfer (in Texas) is NOT required to have a life jacket on board or worn by the sup surfer as long as the sup surfer "is in the surf zone". But paddling out beyond the surf zone, then a life jacket is required to be onboard or worn. The sticky part of the rules is not thought out well since there is no mention what constitutes where the surf zone begins and ends. I've always gone by the surf zone is where the water begins to make a building wave coming towards the shore (beach).

OUTSIDEWAVE:
it is very sad and I am am shocked at how many people die in lakes that at first glance seem pretty calm. Or does the wind come up and play a part?

Badger:
Obviously the person wasn't wearing a leash or they wouldn't have had to look for the body.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version